FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHair coloured/highlighted when pregnant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Happygal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair coloured/highlighted when pregnant
    Posted: 28 June 2011 at 6:58pm
Hi girls,

Is it safe to get your hair highlighted when pregnant? I was wanting to get it done in a couple of weeks before I go on holiday, but have heard mixed things about it?
Sponsored Links

Inkedpixie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkedpixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 7:09pm
Hi Happygal, from what I understand there's no research to show that it is safe OR dangerous - generally if you're using a mild hair colour and it doesn't touch the scalp you should be fine?
Maybe you could go to a hairdresser to have it done, and get them to leave a bit of roots without colour just to be safe?
Happygal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 7:22pm
hey Inkedpixie, I usually get it done at the hairdressers, but just thought the chemicals might be too harsh? Just dont want to risk anything, I'm probably being paranoid, lol!!
Inkedpixie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkedpixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 7:24pm
Fair enough Happygal - I'm actually cancelling my own appointment until at least the second trimester, so I know exactly what you mean!
Happygal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 7:35pm
I'm with you there Inkedpixie, I think I won't get it done for the moment and see about the 2nd trimester!!
troutpout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutpout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 7:47pm
Happygal I have had my hair coloured during pregnancy with no issues. I just asked for foils, and made sure no dye actually touched my scalp.
.... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 7:50pm
When I did my hair training we were taught that during pregnancy you're just a bit more susceptible to having an allergic reaction to the active ingredients in colour.
Highlights should be fine as they won't touch the scalp, if in doubt, ask your hairdresser, they know the products they're working with and if they have any doubts, they won't do it.
fairy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 8:28pm
One of the ladies from my antenatal group is a hairdresser and she said it is fine, just make sure there is plenty of fresh air coming in.
I did it at home and found I had to change my usual hair dye (a 10min one) as it hurt my scalp whereas prepregnancy it didn't. I used a 30min one and it was fine.
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 10:02pm
Its totally fine, mums a hairdresser and she said just make sure you are in a well ventilated room, and if you are worried wait until after the 1st Trimester.

I coloured my hair heaps when i was pregnant(made me feel less frumpy!) with my DS and DD, bleached it even, and all good My kids are fine!

Tigerish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tigerish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2011 at 5:08am
I see no problems with it myself and got mine done today for the second time this pregnancy

CrazyCass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2011 at 7:47am
My hairdresser said there are no issues - if I wanted she offered to only use foils but to be honest for the amount of time the dye is on your scalp I wasn't fussed. I've had full heads of colour a couple of times this pregnancy - I've just exteneded the time between appointments so its about every 10weeks.

I was 6w when I had the first one done. I'll tell you in Nov if the midget is all in one piece

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2011 at 12:38pm
Im going bright red tonight, woop, nothing like red to make you feel alive! Especially after weeks of feeling like total crud!

Turtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2011 at 3:51pm
I coloured my hair all through my pregnancy with DD and she is fine and I'm still doing it now with second pregnancy. Just let your hairdresser know in case your scalp is more sensitive and also if you don't want the colour directly on your scalp
millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2011 at 4:14pm
The worry is more to do with the chemicals in the dye and it going thru the skin to the bloodstream to baby etc, as well as the airborne stuff. It's really your decision not the hairdresser as they are not the one with a babe and you are better off to do your own research.

Having said that there are lots of chemicals I stay away from when PG and even when not. I decided to wait until my 2nd trimester to get my hair streaked because I had your same concerns, and it looks bloody terrible but oh well, wasn't long to wait and I have decided to get it done once now and once b4 bubz is born. My decision and everyone is different. I did the same with first PG and all is good, and people are right you do need a little pick me up!

Happygal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2011 at 7:43pm
Hey thanks for that girls, will have a good think about it!!!

Go Sheza with the bright red!!
babygiraffe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babygiraffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 10:33am
Happygal I'm getting highlights done in about 4 weeks time so when I am in the 2nd trimester. It worries me a bit as well but apparently highlights aren't so bad as the colour doesn't touch your scalp.

If you think about it I bet you our Mothers didn't worry too much when they were pregnant with us! Mum used to get her hair permed (god forbid) so you can imagine the chemicals they used to do that 38 years ago. I'm normal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 10:52am
Well thats totally right BG!, mums been a hairdresser since she was 16 and permed and coloured her hair through all 4 pregnancies lol, and we are fine.... hehehe

Its not like we are going to eat the stuff

Blueberries View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 3:24pm
yeah I'm with everyone, as long as there is good ventilation and it doesn't touch your scalp you should be fine
mitten View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2011 at 9:58am
Lots of salons now do organic hair dye, which has much fewer chemicals in it. You can get ammonia-free hair dye as well. Just ring around a few salons and you'll definitely find somewhere that will do it!
Baby boy born 11 August 2011
January 2010
July 2010
buzylizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzylizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2011 at 12:30pm
Get it done proffesionally and get foils so that it doesn't touch your scalp. Planning on having mine done in about 3 weeks.

Edited by buzylizy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>