FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOne sleep a day - when?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One sleep a day - when?
    Posted: 18 July 2011 at 10:46am
When did your baby drop to one sleep a day? Jacob's nearly 11 months, and it's getting a lot harder to get him down for his day sleeps (he currently has two). He's also waking early in the mornings.

But 11 months feels way to early to me! Is that just in my head, or should I be looking for other reasons why he's not settling?

Sponsored Links

Bel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 11:13am
My DS dropped back to one sleep at 10 months - it felt really young to me - but made it easier to get out and about when I didn't have to fit 2 sleeps in! Also he went down at night muich easier/earlier.

DD dropped hers about a year, but then went on to drop her last sleep just over 2,now that really sucks!
Mum to two beautiful kids   
Luke (09.11.2007)
Amy (01.04.2009)
Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 11:17am
The Sleepstore suggest that most babies drop from 2 naps to one between 14-18 months but the majority of people I know with kids my girls age (almost 13 months) are already on 1 sleep.
That said my girls are still having 2 sleeps but the arvo nap is a bit hit & miss so I don't think we're far off dropping to 1.

What time are Jacob's naps?
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 11:39am
Usually 10am and 2pm. Today, though, he didn't go to sleep till 11am (he was super-happy so I put him down later, and then he played in his cot for half an hour before going to sleep).

He's a shoddy sleeper, most sleeps we only get one sleep cycle out of him. I guess I could hope he'd have a longer sleep if he just had one, because one 45-minute sleep a day doesn't feel like a lot!

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 12:03pm
Lily was about 10 or 11 months, forget now! She just kept fighting her afternoon nap so I let her stay up she went to bed 2 hours early but then the next day took her first nap later and has been having 1 nap a day since! GL!
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 12:24pm
DS was around 11 months when he dropped to one day sleep, he's been on just one since then but the times have moved to suit as he's gotten older.

I am hoping he doesn't drop that nap anytime soon!!

Lucky apple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky apple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 3:27pm
We were 11 months when dropped to one. DD would sleep well for morning sleep - up to 2 hours (9-11) but then would resist afternoon sleep. So, we did an activity in the morning and I stretched her out until 11. She now sleeps for about 2 hours in the middle of the day at 12.5 months.
Bky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 4:06pm
Also 11 months here when we made the transition from 2 to 1 nap. DD used to have one mid-morning and one early afternoon nap of about an hour each and then swapped over to 1 two to three hour nap starting anywhere from 10:30am to 2pm. She still has 2 on occasion, but we're mostly at one these days.
7/2010, 10/2012 and 1/2015

Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 5:28pm
Well, he pretty much did it himself today anyway - he woke at 12, and wouldn't go down in the afternoon, so I kept him up until I couldnt realistically manage it any longer, and I've just put him to bed (5.30 when his usual bedtimes 7). I hope he sleeps OK, and doesn't wake up in an hour and think it's time for games again - I'm also a bit worried he'll get hungry because he was so tired he hardly had any tea, but what else can you do? I think I'll start the one-sleep thing, and just try and make it later in the day.

crafty1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crafty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 6:07pm
I would try and make the morning sleep as close to 12 as you can get, gives you a later bedtime. When mine dropped to one nap, at first i would give him a lunch at 10.30 and another at 2. Full lunches, otherwise like you say they get too tired to eat. After a few weeks they will be fine with it.

If they got sick tho sometimes mine would have 2 naps.

To stretch the nap later i would carry them around a bit having cuddles, looking at the plants and listening to music for the last bit, trying to keep them awake but quiet.

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 6:19pm
DD dropped hers right on her birthday. She now has one about 12.30pm and goes for a couple of hours.

MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 7:02pm
DS has two sleeps still, unless we're out and about. But he's much happier having two. He doesn't sleep well At night though so I think that is why he craves daytime naps. He generally goes down around 10 and 2 for an hour and a half each time and in bed for the night at 7

Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 8:09pm
Both mine started dropping theirs around 11 months and were definitely on one by 14 months. Morgan only had one sleep on a weds (playcentre day) from 9.5 months.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 6:02pm
Well, he slept well the first night, but woke up ready to go at 3am I managed to get him back down, although he woke every hour till six when he was up for the day (his usual time, though).

Yesterday he was at creche, and just had one sleep - he was melting down by the time we got home, and screamed through tea - I rushed him to bed as fast as I could and he went down at 6.15. He woke at 5.30am, I got him back down till 6 again.

Today, one sleep again, and he's playing happily now (6pm) after a good tea. So it looks like it might have been the right call

WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 10:54pm
At DC he went to one sleep at day at 9.5 months old but at home we still did 2 naps until 14 months.
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
sarasal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarasal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 11:13pm
Mine was quite young too - I can't remember exactly but it was definitely before he turned 1. I'd try for 15 mins or so to get him to sleep, and if he didn't want to, I figured he wasn't ready to sleep and wouldn't try to force it. You can substitute a quiet time instead, like listening to music or having a story, so they still get a rest.
 Post Reply Post Reply