FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCloth Nappy Soap/Detergent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
321sdwLAWajw123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 321sdwLAWajw123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cloth Nappy Soap/Detergent
    Posted: 20 July 2011 at 2:34pm
Hi all, I bought a bunch of Baby Cheeks cloth nappies for my DD (who should be arriving any day!) and am just wondering what people use to wash theirs with? I know you aren't supposed to use normal powders with whatever the ingredients are, but what are some 'ok' ones that people use that you can pick up from the grocery store (that aren't pricey!)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Jaune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 2:49pm
You can use any laundry powder or liquid (half or less of the recommended amount) as long as it has no enzymes or fabric softener in it... Also optical brightners are supposed to be a bit of a no-no too but I never had any problems with Persil Sensitive when I used that.

I now use Rockin' Green which is perfect for cloth nappies...but only available online.

Edited by Jaune

lisame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 10:08am
EcoStore liquid. May not seem cheap but you use tiny amounts and I've had no problems with it. Also NZ made.
321sdwLAWajw123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 321sdwLAWajw123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 11:59am
Thanks!

I had a look at the Rockin' Green website Jaune, and was just wondering how the price compared to normal detergent? I couldn't tell how much was in each bag, etc.
Jaune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 12:11pm
The bags are 1.3kg - I got mine in May and I've got about half a bag left. I wash about every second day but it's usally only a half load so I use 2Tbs of powder. I really like it and it's reassuring to know that it's perfect for nappies and doesn't have any nasties in it.
You can also use it for strip washes which is helpful.

CrazyCass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 11:00am
I've just invested in the Laundry Balls System. Cost $60 to set up, and using them for EVERY wash I'll need the $30 refil pack every 8-10months.

Only been using them for a couple of weeks but so far so good. I had looked at other options but wanted something where I didnt need to count how many washes they'd been used for (i.e. soap nuts) or seperate powders/liquids for the naps.

They also dont require the rinse cycle which cuts down on power / water usage

Linky to have a looksie - they were at our local home show, that's where I brought the Everything kit for $60.

BessieBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BessieBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 2:38pm

I'm not useing any powder I do a heavy duty wash, with full water and spin and the and extra rince with a bit of detol rinse liquid stuff from the supermarket.

I'm looking into the rocking green at present though.

Sarah Mum to,
Boy 07/2008, Girl 03/2010, Boy 05/2012, Angel 07/08/2014

Dutchy112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchy112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2011 at 10:15pm
Rockingreen has just arrived in New Zealand and we've just done our first order and uploaded onto our website. I've compared the price to other powders available and it seems to be fair enough. About 1.3 kg for $22. Ecostore powder is cheaper though if you prefer that.

Originally posted by CrazyCass CrazyCass wrote:

I've just invested in the Laundry Balls System. Cost $60 to set up, and using them for EVERY wash I'll need the $30 refil pack every 8-10months.

Will also look into these laundry balls. They sound great! How do they go for poo nappies?
Mum to DS1 (July 2009) and DS2 (October 2011)
For quality nappies & advice, check:
The Cloth Nappy Company, Christchurch, NZ
Lucky apple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky apple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 8:27am
This page is a really good comparison of lots of powders for mcns. There is also a similar table for nappy creams if you go searching on the site.

Jaune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 8:41am
Sally - that table is actually not accurate, I think it's a bit old. For example, Persil Sensitive does not contain enzymes and Earthwise is now ok for nappies. Also, when washing nappies 1/4-1/2 of the amount recommended should be used.

CrazyCass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 10:02am
Not sure how the Laundry Balls (gee why does that almost sound rude to me all the time!) go with nappies as I'm not quite there yet, i know MamaT uses them - maybe PM her?

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 12:01pm
I used to use Persil and then Persil Sensitive when they changed the recipe and i didnt like the smell and never had any problems with my nappies. I also used soap nuts and found them good too.

CrazyCass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 12:22pm
I've always had sensitive skin and only been able to use the cold power powdered detergents - even sensitive ones didnt work for me!

But the laundry balls have been great, I'd looked into the soap nuts but I'm useless and would never remember when I'd used them enough! I've set a reminder in my outlook calendar when I'll need to order refils.

They have cleaned DH's hunting clothes 100% well - even when they are covered in dried blood! I can imagine poo naps wont be much of an issue...

Lucky apple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky apple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Jaune Jaune wrote:

Sally - that table is actually not accurate, I think it's a bit old. For example, Persil Sensitive does not contain enzymes and Earthwise is now ok for nappies. Also, when washing nappies 1/4-1/2 of the amount recommended should be used.

Sorry!! :-/
I thought it looked pretty good when I was working out our system last year
....but I'm not an expert on washing powders by any stretch of the imagination!!
Dutchy112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchy112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 2:11pm
Mmmm maybe I should give those soap balls a go. It just seems a bit expensive if it then doesn't work... I'm mainly worried about the ammonia smell.
Mum to DS1 (July 2009) and DS2 (October 2011)
For quality nappies & advice, check:
The Cloth Nappy Company, Christchurch, NZ
Bky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2011 at 10:13am
I use the Ecoballs (similar to the Laundry balls I guess? if you Google Ecozone Ecoballs you can find the email for the NZ distributor in Dunedin and email him to find your local distributor). They are great. Work really well on dirty, pooey, whatever nappies. Some things I've noticed about them: They get natural fibres (hemp, bamboo etc) cleaner smelling than synthetics (microfibre). They do leave stains sometimes (but I guess there's an Ecover laundry bleach that goes well with nappies for that). You need a lot of water to nappy ratio, but I guess that's similar to proper use of soaps as well. Before getting them I had to strip once a month at least, now not at all.
There's a separate thing you need (magnaball) if you have hard water, but we don't, so haven't used it.
7/2010, 10/2012 and 1/2015

Post Reply Post Reply