FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedARGH!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fallen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ARGH!
    Posted: 28 July 2011 at 2:49pm
Hi
I have a 11 week old little girl who suddenly started showing reflux symptoms about 3 weeks ago.
Her symptoms include:
Vomiting both projectile and spilling
Painful hiccups
Wanting to constantly feed
Pain - crying and pulling legs up. Only thing she wants to do is feed.
And the one that scares me the most - vomiting, choaking, stopping breathing in her sleep

Our GP diagnosed her with it two weeks ago and put her on Gaviscon and Omeprazole. Initially the medications seemed to help but now I'm not so sure. I took her back to our GP today who wasn't really much help. She prescribed her Lactulose for constipation that has started recently. And reluctantly sent a referral letter to the Paed doctors at the Hospital. I would really like to get one of those stop breathing monitors for when shes asleep. Is that unreasonable? I'm not sleeping well because I'm constantly listening out for her. My biggest fear is waking up in the morning to a baby that hasn't.

Sponsored Links

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2011 at 8:18pm
If it's keeping you awake, then go get a monitor. It'll be a worthwhile investment for your sanity, even if the baby never needs it (and hopefully she won't).

If she's breastfed, I'd look at you going on a seriously restricted diet. Dairy and fruit were the main culprits for my DD, but my MW this time round says gluten is also a common one. And there are plenty of other things too.

Honestly, the restricted diet was so much easier to live with than the miserable baby that it wasn't even the *sacrifice* for me that lots of people seemed to think.

Good luck and hang in there. It will get better one day
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2011 at 8:29pm
Yep I agree with T-Rex- I was able to get on top of DS's reflux with a serious diet re-vamp.
Even tho eliminating food groups is tough, breastmilk is still so much easier for baby to digest than formula, and it is digested quicker too- formula stays in the stomach longer, meaning more acid is produced to break it down = more +/- worse reflux.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2011 at 8:38pm
Raise her bed & also side sleeping does help if you are willing to do that. I had Cooper wrapped & propped with a wedge.

Can you split & give the Omeprazol twice daily?

Definitely get a sleep & sound monitor, they're worth their weight in gold even if they never go off

Also totally agree with the diet revamp.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2011 at 8:46pm
And baby wearing was my sanity saver! I just got a cheap length of t-shirt material and taught myself to wrap -like a moby wrap - by watching you tube video! Wish I known about it with #1 who had much worse reflux/was way more unsettled than #2!
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 10:25pm
I agree about eliminating things in your diet. I ended up giving up breastfeeding because my baby had terrible reflux and just started refusing, fighting, scratching, screaming etc I was devestated, and I now know he had dairy intolerance- if I'd known that then I would have tried to take dairy out of my diet and maybe we could have kept breastfeeding, as I didn't want to stop.

However if breastfeeding doesn't work out do not beat yourself up, breastfeeding a reflux baby can be hell at times.

I definitely reccomend going to the paed, it seems in my experience and that of others Ive talked to that the GP's just don't know that much about reflux and intolerances in babies. I think its 1 in 3 babies who have reflux are dairy intolerant and I was told my GP's and one paed that there was nothing wrong with my baby he was just being his age and babies cried, etc etc but my mothers instinct knew it was more than that and with perserverance we found a paed who put him on neocate and within a week or so he was a changed baby as cliched as that sounds. So keep pushing till you get the help you need, it's worth it.

Also in my opinion don't bother with the gaviscon, it just makes them constipated... each to their own but my paed seconded that...

Definitely get an angelcare (or similar) monitor. I had one but never used the breathing monitor part but have since lent it to a friend whose baby got sick and randomly kept stopping breathing and it has been a lifesaver for her as it has allowed her to get some sleep in a stressful time. And having a reflux baby is pretty damn stressful without worrying they will stop breathing in the night too. Hugs. When I was going through the worst of it I couldn't imagine it ever ending or getting better but now at 8 months we are nearly there... good luck...

PS love the name Hailey spelt that way
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
fallen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2011 at 2:03pm
Thanks for the support ladies. I breastfed my other two for nearly 2 years and 18 months (he self weaned due to my pregnancy) respectively so I am keen to continue. How do I go about revamping my diet? I am somewhat dairy intolerant myself so have a very minimal intake.

I can split the omeprezole. I just hate giving such a little baby pureed pear with it in. We've had the bed head raised for a while. I'll look into getting one of those wedge thingys for side sleeping.

Are those angelcare monitors good? I've looked at them before and they seem such a huge expense. When Hailey was readmitted to hospital at 1 week they put this breathing monitor on her that was just taped to her tummy. It seemed alot simpler than the angelcare ones.

When she was a week old she was readmitted to hospital due to losing 15% of her birthweight. She was tube fed because there was something wrong with her suck. The lactation consultant and speach language lady never got to the bottom of exactly what was wrong but it seemed to resolve itself. I'm just wondering if it is all related.

At the GP the other day the doctor wanted a urine sample to check for a UTI. So off home we went with a couple of collection bags etc. I dropped the sample off yesterday. It appears she does have a UTI. The doctor I spoke to who wasn't our usual GP said that may well be the cause of all her problems. I find this very hard to believe as how does a UTI cause excessive vomiting? So shes on antibiotics and we have a follow up with our GP on Monday morning.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2011 at 8:21pm
Yep UTI's can cause all sorts of side effects in little bubs, hopefully this is the case & she' better quickly!

Ahhh look into a Respisense? Something like that, clips onto their clothing anyway.
Kel

snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2011 at 9:42pm
I got my angelcare monitor second hand on trademe for a lot cheaper and it worked just as well
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
fallen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2011 at 8:01pm
Turns out she didn't have a UTI after all. The sample failed to grow any bugs. The doctor said to give her another omperzole capsule in the morning now to see if that helps.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2011 at 8:57pm
Have a look around google for Eosinophilic Esophagitis.

This is a super site which really helped me with Cooper's reflux Reflux.org.au
Kel

Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 2:43pm
Oh you poor thing. Hope that second capsule is helping.

We have a baby sense monitor. You can buy them new on trademe. I couldn't live without it now.

Also Omeperazole is the Government version of Losec. Its not the real stuff and have heard that the real stuff can work better, but there is a cost involved. I don't know the price, as we get the Omeperazole, but could be worth looking in to.

Post Reply Post Reply