FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPassion fruit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passion fruit
    Posted: 10 August 2011 at 1:29pm
Im wanting to start growing passion fruit.

Does it need to be grown in the sun? Im going to grow it against my fence how tall do you think it needs to be. Its about 1.2m is this tall enough?

Also doesnt anyone know how long it takes until they produce fruit?? thanks
Sponsored Links

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 3:18pm
This is not expert advice, but we had one at our last home - it took over one side of a carport + would have taken the roof if we let it. We got it established when we moved there but it produced more fruit then us + our family and friends could comfortably eat. I think the fence is tall enough but it may want to take up the entire length as well.
luvmylittlies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmylittlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 4:10pm
Yeah they like a lot of sun and will go looking for it if you've planted it in the shade. Eg if you plant it on the shady side of a fence they grow through the fence and you'll end up with nothing but the stalk on the shady side. They can grow HUGE as Bowie said but they also like to be pruned (September/October) so you can control their size a bit that way. Oh the pruning helps them fruit too, because they only fruit from that years growth (not the older parts) so you get more fruit for a smaller size if you prune every year.
Adoring Mum to Talisin 8/9/11 and Kiara 18/01/10
bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 3:05pm
Good to know, I have a passionfruit that is approx 18 months old and it has never bared any fruit. Again it is along a fence but I don't think it was getting enough sun. I may buy another plant and try a sunnier spot. Our plant is approx 1.2m by 3m at the moment but not fruiting. I will trim her back and see what happens and maybe plant another one in the meantime.

Post Reply Post Reply