FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRant: Ex wants back in childs life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
KAC09 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAC09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rant: Ex wants back in childs life
    Posted: 31 August 2011 at 11:38pm
This makes me so angry!!! I decided to get a court order against my sons father becuase he hadnt had contact in over 13 months. Hes 16 months old and the last time he saw his dad he was 6 weeks old. I go to all the effort hiring a lawyer etc. Just to have that safety net of knowing the ex cant just show and and steal my kid.

Then he goes and responds requesting back in to his sons life. AHHHHH! I am sooooo happy with not having him in my life & my son is finally had a stable life & coming right & this happends!

But of course he has all the rights in this situation as the govt says the child has rights to both parents. Even though I honestly belive his father will never be in the best interest of being in his sons life. I have no way to "prove" this.

His father has always been an alcholic, he has already been in his life & left his sons life. He has 2 sons & did the same with both. How many kids is he allowed to have and abonden and then come back in and pretend like he was always there.

Then to top it all off im a full time student and have enough stress in my life without adding this to one of them. Being a stressed mother is not in the best interest of my child.

I am in no way implying that it is in "the best interest of a child" to cut a parent out. But really if you abonden your child it will screw them up more to have them come in and out as it pleases them. Its so stupid he has already proven he will do that. Then to top it all off apperantly he has changed and is going to AA and all this. I dont belive it and dont think its fair that my son gets to be a gimmick in his life to empress his gf.

He is also asking for visting rights at his mums house, she lives 2 hrs away from me, 1. I dont have the moeny to travel that far, 2. I dont have the time. He abondens his kid for over a yr & has not brought him bday presents or xmas presents & he expects me to travel??? Bugger that. That is not in the best interest of anyone. Also he doesnt really know his mum, hes meet her twice & I was of corse present the whole time.

The weekend is my time, with my son. the only time I get. I did all the work & he just gets to come in part way in & take my time away from my son. It just seems un fair towards me. Unfair towards my son. AHHHHHH I am just so angry.

Sorry long post, just really frickin mad right now. Had to get it off my chest.
Sponsored Links

freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 7:23am
As unfair as it may seem to you, if his dad genuinely wants to be involved I think that's a great thing... Your son is young so he has not left it too late to build a good relationship with him, and if he keeps his promises then that is certainly what is best for your son in the long run, imo. I guess you have no choice but to give him the benefit of the doubt... I know it's a hard situation having been through it myself, and it is often hard to see what is best for the child when your views are so clouded with bad memories and anger towards the ex, but at one stage you did consider him good enough to make babies with, and every child does deserve the opportunity to know their dads IMO... I do hope he doesn't let your child down though!
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
KAC09 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAC09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 7:43am
No frekle I didnt, even when I was with him, I would have NEVER let him be alone with the child. EVER. Regardless. I left him the minute I was pregnant pretty much because I realise what a sh*t hole I was in and I didnt want my child to be exposed to that life. He is a drunk & has another kid whom he abonded at 1st as well. I was young and in a bad place in my life when I was with him and made the wrong choice. As soon as I was with child it made me open my eyes & do what was best for my son and I have never regreted this decision.

The 2nd thing is I dont belive it is genuine at all. he is never genunie he always has an alternatertive motive and it wont last.

the 3rd thing is I have been working towards leaving the country in a few years time, and it is in the best interest of both my son and me to leave. I told his father when my my son was born that is whats happening and he said go. That was the time he was welcome to have input (before he abondended his son). So what is the point he will be too young to remember ever metting his father? It just feels selfish to be involved now.

Also the demands of vistation rights which I have not yet seen are apperantly according to my lawyer, unresonable and not good enough.

Having an alcholic father pass out in front of him is not in anyway of being best interest for my son.
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 8:17am
sorry you didn't what? I meant you liked him enough to have a baby with him... and if you can change so can he Unfortunately, it's not up to you to decide if he's genuine or not, and sometimes it is just a matter of, time will tell. I guess if the lawyer considers the demands for contact unreasonable you have good grounds for negotiating more acceptable terms.
Maybe he has changed his mind about allowing his son to move overseas? he is certainly within his rights to object to you taking him out of the country... what do you mean it feels selfish to be involved now?
It's so hard when you have kids in a bad relationship cos it really does bond you for life and really your son does have the right to know both parents...
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 8:29am
I totally feel you KAC. I havent pushed for a day to day order because i know DS's dad would react the exact same way. That SUCKS. I suggest you focus on fighting the bits that you can win iykwim. The court obviously is going to let your ex have access so focus on things like supervised visits (at least to start) alcholol counselling, visits to NOT be 2 hrs drive away etc. I agree that its great for your son to have his dad in his life but if he's anything like my ex he will be interested and involved just long enough to your son to form a bond then get bored and give up again. I hope he doesnt let your son down.
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 8:36am
btw I just wanted to add, I do think it sucks that he hasn't been there until now and I know how unfair that is on you! I left my ex 14 years ago so I have been through it all :) I guess in the end it's not what you see as fair, it's what's best for the child... and after all this time and lots and lots of negotiation I can honestly say having my DDs dad involved was certainly the best thing for her... doesn't mean it will be the same in your situation of course, but if there is a chance he could have an involved dad I would say it's worth a go... and I totally agree with Bowie, maybe focus on things like him getting help for drinking etc...
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 8:52am
the process can be a long and drawn out one and if as you say he isnt really that interested in your son then he may lose interest and give up. The fact that he hasnt spent time with your son before now will go in your favour and just because he wants to have access for his mother doesnt mean you have to allow it, if he wanted her to see him then it should be on his time anyway. Pretty sure that counselling for both of you is still a requirement in these cases before the next step and that will give you a chance to talk to him about some of this and see if you think he really has changed.

KAC09 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAC09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 10:01am
I know he hasnt changed its just a persona for his gf. He did the same crap when I was with him. And him wanting to see his other son. but when things got rough with his 1st son he bolted. Munipulated situation so that of corse it was the mother not allowing him to be their.... (f*ck I was so dumb to belive his dribble). Then he got back into his sons life because the mother made it easy for him. But then complains about seeing him on his time off because he doesnt have time for himself. Then our marriage got hard so he drunk more till I left him. I never loved this man. Just felt like I had no choices in life and felt trapped in a loveless marriage and when I fall pregnant.(I always wanted a baby) He said he didnt want him. I left. Then he was in the picture for the 1st few weeks. But I told him seeing your child every 3 weeks is not contact. My son would scream murder when his father was with him because he didnt know this man holding him and expecting that the child new him. So this became to difficult so again he walked out. Now that I have done all the work to get the order. He wants back in because of what ohter people will be saying not because he himself wants it. When things become difficult again he will leave my son and my son will be hurt. He has a huge track record.

As for his mother I have always let her have as much contact with my son as she wants. which has been 2 times since he was born & she has given him bday & xmas gifts. I have never cut my son off from his fathers family. I have an open door policy towards the mother of his 1st child and her son. Same with his mum. As I did with him till he walked away.

I only asked one thing before my son was born which was if you leave his life dont come back.
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 10:44am
Feel your pain! I got married during a not so great period in my life and left after DS1 was born. There was a long list of domestic violence offences to back up my custody battles (and omg battles they were) so I probably had a better hand of cards than you and in the end I got full custody and full control over any visitations (I got to decided whether there was contact and when and how it was arranged). I made the decision to encourage visitation though because while I do worry about any attachment my son might make or bad influences my ex might provide, I want to be able to show my son that I respected his heritage. I may be sad that my now DH isn't DS1s biological father (though he is his dad in every way that matters) but I don't want my DS to grow up thinking I was ashamed of part of his heritage or that I want to pretend that something that makes him who is he doesn't exist. I also want him to be able to see for himself what kind of man his biological dad is, and if I was to be the 'bad guy' refusing access then that could cause DS1 to favour his bio dad and see him through rose coloured glasses. My ex actually can rarely be bothered making contact now but its always been supervised at our home or my parents house and I implemented a rule that DS was to call the ex by his given name, not dad (he calls my now DH dad) as that was a right to be earned. DS recognises a connection with his bio father, he knows that somehow hes important, but they don't have a relationship.

My decisions in this area stem from personal experience. I grew up with awesome parents, I always knew I was adopted by my dad but it didn't matter. what did matter was my mum refusing to tell me anything about my biological dad. It sucked and it made me angry as I got older, not because I wanted another dad but because I felt I deserved the right to make my own decision. FTR I finally met my biological dad and I love him to bits lol hes a total commitment-phobe and I doubt he would have made a reliable father figure but hes a lovely guy.

Anyway hope you get all this sorted out hun.
KAC09 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAC09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 11:25am
One of my major issues. is since I left him we have lived a unsettled life & I have finally got us sorted we are in a great place. But my sons not fully out of his shell of living unsettled. Now isnt the right time to meet a guy who will abonded him again. I dont want him to become reliant on a man that will leave him as he has already proven this. I have never hidden his father in his life. he has pictures of him and a box full of stuff from my marriage & that his father gave him before he was born. he sleeps with the blanket he gave him. I just dont think thats its best to have someone in your life that comes in and out as they please. I also think its bullsh*t that me & my son have been working towards a certain life. to which him being in contact, gives him rights to change it. My son will be better off overseas with me in a high paying job then living on the poviety line for the rest of our lives in this country that as unrealictally low expectations on the paying parent. (i worked out basic cost of raising my son was an extra $100 more then the child support payments) which he could easily afford on his income.

Whats better seeing a man that will come in and out as he pleases, but living in povety? or living a good solid lifestyle without a deadbeat father?
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 12:21pm
The thing i say to myself when things are hard with my ex is 'did you do everything you could'. When DS is old enough to ask about his dad and why he isnt around i want to be able to look him in the face and honestly say i did everything i could for them to have a relationship. DSs dad literally just spent 20 minutes with him, but didnt look at, talk to or hold him. Or talk to me for that case. Walked 5m ahead of us to the playground and stood 5m to the side watching with hands in pockets while i pushed him on the swings then walked 5m behind us home again. Weirdo. But at least i know that i tried to get him and his dad to have a relationship and if he keeps being such a dick then my son will remember his dad showing up and not caring instead of me standing in between them.
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 12:57pm
KAC I totally sympathise. My DD's Dad has not been the best at contact and although we lived together till she was 11 months old he never showed any interest till I decided to get custody formalised and then he wanted 50/50 shared care! So I totally get where you are coming from. My DD's Dad used to cancel all the time, and sometimes I would show up to drop her off for an access visit and he wouldn't even be there. This really upset but my friend who is a social worker (deals with this sort of thing all the time with kids who are in care and supposed to have visits with bio parents) said you cant control the situation or protect her from everything. All you can do is your best and be there to care for your child and love her when she is let down. If DD's dad cancels his contact I just tell her that he still loves her in his own way but sometimes he finds it hard to be there for her the way that I am. I tell her I understand she feels upset and just give her a cuddle. I try hard to make it about him and his issues without blaming him or calling him useless so she doesn't feel abandoned or rejected. He still occasionally cancels but not as much as he used to. I don't like my ex and I spend a lot of time biting my tounge when I see him but DD deserves to know her Dad and when she's old enough she will be able to figure out for herself how much of an idiot he is and whether she wants to see him. My job is just to keep that door open for her.
KAC09 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAC09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 1:00pm
I feel like their is a train heading too fast down a track and the courts are pushing my son onto the tracks & I am not allowed to save him from being hit. I dont care if he has a relationship with his father. I have heaps of friends have that dont have relationships with their fathers and honestly dont care. I dont care if my son hates me in 18 yrs time because I stopped him. because at least it means hes alive and safe. Thats all I wanna do is keep my son alive and safe. Emotionally & physically. I honnestly know he will cause emotional abuse towards my son. His 1st child was a good kid until his father came back into his live and now hes an uncontrolable devil child (i mean that in the nicest way). I dont want my son to be like his brother by having a unstable emotionally stunted guy in his life. (who is like this because every time he himself saw his father, he was completly drunk off his face)... I dont want my son to be the 3rd generation.
TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 5:17pm
Least you are aware of the impact he can have on your son so you can always be there to pick up the pieces if he does act like a dick when he visits so that your son doesn't end up like your ex's first son.
I get the wanting to protect your child at all costs,like Bowie said see what you parts you can control,insist on certain things if you can,things like he can only see your son if you are there and it has to be somewhere you feel safe,that sort of thing.
I agree with Bizzy though,it is a long drawn out process and from what you've said about him,he will probably lose interest pretty quickly anyway.

KAC09 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAC09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 8:36pm
Just read his response to the avidavid. Basically every line is a lie. No truth to everything. Basically I am a spitful women who deprived him of a son and made his life so stressful because I was too much in love with him and wanted him back and used our son as a weapen to minuplate him into getting back together with him. And that he tried to contact me in November but I refused. And I wanted him to see his son twice a week, which would have caused him the inablitly to see his 1st son.

1st off what the hell???? I dont love you, I dont like you, I left you buddy. If I wanted you, I would have stayed with you. You are a piece of crap and I am way toooo good for you. You were lucky to ever touch someone as great as me!!! I come from a well educated, middle- upper class life, and you are nothing more then a minuplative alcholic who comes from a white trash background with nothing to offer society, except more chidren just like you. (Sorry had to get that off my chest). And the last year without you in my life has easily been the best year of my life. If I wanted you back so much buddy why would I have cut contact & stopped you seeing ya son? I would have begged to see you every day?!?

The 3 times he visited ( 3 weekly. not fornightly) was 1 to sign a birth certifcate, as I told him he had 2 choices, sign it or I would send it in without his signature as I was not going to be mucked around by him. I never said he had to. It was his choice. simpey sign it or dont. 1 he was late, he stayed for about 30mins - hour. (if that) then left, becuase apperantly he didnt have time. the next visit he came to hunters vacinations. I had asked him to stay the whole day as his son would be in a bad way afterwards and it woud be nice to have 2 pairs of eyes etc. he agreeed. then turned up as soon as we got home, he left. I asked why he wasnt staying. He said I have things to do, I said you said you'd be here all day, he simpy responeded no I didnt agree to that. (not to metion I had, had a blood test that day which makes me completly light headed, and wasnt in the best state to ook after a child, to which I had to get my mum to come over and help me even though she was working)

3rd of all I would never ever ever use my son to minuplate anyone. He is my only one true love in this world and I would only do what was best for him as best as I can.

He also said he gave me money for Hunter whilst I was pregnant. Yes but that was for ya car insurance & contents insurance you wouldnt bother getting in your own name and came outta my account. And the money wasnt regular it was a $50 whenever he felt. I was being nice to allow him time to get it sorted. Because i am a decent human being.

Hes twisted all these lies. He also commented hes been in a relationship with a women since after our marriage separated. BULL SH*T, you were with her before we split you cheating bastard!

I was nice in my avidavid. I left out all the alcholism and emotional abuse. I was civil. Yet hes turned it around to make me sound like a minuplative nasty ex, with a adgenda. Uck!
KAC09 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAC09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 8:44pm
Also hes asking to see him on a tuesday and a saturday (once each per month) umm no. 1st off that unrountine, for a 15month old. they dont understand life, but they understand routine. Also he wants unsupervised acess with a child that doesnt know him... umm no. I dont have time to suprives his access on tuesdays. I have uni. So no. 2nd of all Saturday has been our day for over a year. So no that would effect my sons favourite day. which is a structured rountine, which provides him with a stable life. And we are not going to change something for an occasional vistor. Also he wants to bring his 1st son with him. Another no, he cant supervise both kids at the same time, by himself. 1st off its unfair for a child to bond with 2 ppl he doesnt know whom will expect a natural bond. His older son is uncontrobal. if they are in a public place and he goes one way my son goes another. Then one could easily die (im not being overdramatic here, I honestly see that as something thats a possiblity).

I dont have an issue with hunter knowing his brother, I have an issue with his father having 2 kids at one time when he isnt suitable to look after a goldfish. I dont agree with him having anyone else in the vists as this is not what his vistation are intented for. If he wants his other son to visit, he can visit, either with the mother at another suitable time (she has always had this open to her) or once Hunter has a suitable bond with his father and he has actually proven this isnt going to be yet again taken away, not that I belive he ever had a bond with his dad.
KAC09 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAC09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 8:51pm
What i am willing to offer (dont want to but if I have to) is 30minutes-hour for 6 weeks. once every week. To set up a bond between both parties. to which after such period if Hunter has showen he feels comfortable it can get to 2hours. However no more then 2 hours will be offered because Of the time of day offered & my sons attention span. Also limited time not needing a feed or sleeping limites any extra time whilst Hunter is a baby. He can have either monday nights or friday nights after uni. the time must always be supivsed by me. as this will keep my son feeling safe and secure. No supervision to be lifted as he is an untrusting alcholic, who could cause harm. We have a full scedual and if his father wants access it should be to fit Hunters current schedual not his fathers.
minxynzl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minxynzl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2011 at 7:08pm
Sounds like you are finding this situation tough. Single parenting certainly isn't for the faint hearted! It's clear you are stil carrying a great deal of anger around, which is understandable when someone has been hurt. Have you considered getting sme help to deal with that anger? It could really make this whole situation much easier to deal with. You need all the energy and focus you can to raise your son and study. Anger sucks energy like anything!
KAC09 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAC09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2011 at 7:23pm
Sorry Minx I don't feel I need to get help for my anger, as its not an issue. I thought my last post was considerably fair considering he hasnt taken part in his child life in over a year and his avidaithed was more about accussing me of being a bad parent etc. then actually about the child. in fact 1 line was about the child.
minxynzl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minxynzl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2011 at 7:30pm
Just making an observation as reading through your posts (from the very first line which notes your are 'so angry') it seems clear it's very strong.

Edited by minxynzl
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>