FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedUsing cloth - Where to start??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using cloth - Where to start??
    Posted: 01 September 2011 at 3:54pm
So we're going to be trying for baby #3 in a few months and i really wanna use cloth this time but i don't really have a clue where to start! LOL. There are soooo many to choose from. How many approx. do you need and what brands would you recommend? Any advice would be good! I know it's a little while yet till i'll actually have to start buying but i wanna know what i'm doing for when the time comes.

Edited by _Deb_
Sponsored Links

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 5:22pm
If its your last one then I would get a hire kit for the newborn/small stage so you dont have to buy that size as alot of OSFA dont fit newborns very well. I have hire kits available through my business :D

I love my Itti Bitti's. The tutto and SIO are the best in terms of absorbancy, but the AIO is very easy and dad proof (tho DD's dad can use any easily enough). Pockets are great cause you can add as much as you need but they tend to be bulkier.

Pop into the nappyholics thread and have a read, we all like something different.

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 7:22pm
The best way to start is hire the OB hire kit - it's got heaps of options that you can try out on the little bub and figure out what suits your baby and you. Definitely saved me heaps of confusion!

Otherwise, I guess you could buy or borrow a few different kinds to try (try trademe or your friends - I've lent a couple of nappies at a time to various people to try out).

Orrr, assuming your 21-month-old is still in nappies, buy a couple in her size and try them out now? Even if she TT in the next few months, you can use them for #3 as well.
Dutchy112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchy112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2011 at 11:49am
Agree, hire kit is very good way to go as it gives you the chance to try out the different nappies available. Also, as mentioned above, many of the OSFA nappies are a bit too big on newborns (not always though).

Then there's various websites that provide heaps of information and pictures of the different nappies (Google Cloth Nappies NZ).

If you don't like the idea of a hire kit and want to start from newborn, I'd recommend the REAL nappies size 1. I've used them on my wee boy (now 2) and kept a spreadsheet () to check whether they would pay for themselves... They did before he had grown out of them (I had 7 covers and 24 prefolds)!

OSFA nappies come as pockets and also 'SIO' eg Tutto. If you'd rather go for a sized option, you could choose a birth to potty pack which would provide everything you need from birth.

Edited by Dutchy112
Mum to DS1 (July 2009) and DS2 (October 2011)
For quality nappies & advice, check:
The Cloth Nappy Company, Christchurch, NZ
_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 6:36pm
Thanks for the info ladies, you've been a big help. I think i will hire a kit, that sounds like a great idea.

T_Rex i did think of getting some to try on her but she's such a weirdo about clothes and has a big tanty and takes them back off quite often and spends a lot of her time taking her nappies off, so i thought it might just end up being more of a hassle than it's worth. lol.

Really looking forward to using cloth next time. Wish i had done it with the other two! The huge amounts of disposable nappies that are created every year is a big part of why i decided to go with cloth next time. Not having to spend all that money on them every week was another reason.
 Post Reply Post Reply