FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCitrus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blessedmama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Citrus
    Posted: 04 September 2011 at 2:33pm
Second question for the afternoon...my lemon and mandarin trees are just little and both have young branches growing right down the bottom. Should I be taking those off? Must read up on pruning them but thought I'd try here first.
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 4:08pm
i dont know anything about citrus trees but my husband reckons that our mandarins are a bit sour cause they are too close to the lemon tree. i suppose if you pruned the bottom ones then it might concentrate on the top ones instead.

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 6:24pm
Are they growing from the roots/base of the trunk? If so then yes get rid of them. It will be the root stock of the plant growing, it will do nothing but produce lots of leaves and thorns. Most citrus trees sold these days are ones that have been grafted onto root stock.

blessedmama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 6:55pm
Wriggles how do you know so much? Are you just a really experienced gardener?? I'm impressed!

They are growing from the base of the trunk so I'll get rid of them. Though I was looking properly at the lemon today and it now has several 'main' trunks so not certain what to do there. I'll have another look tomorrow and see if any are actually really at the base or whether further up - I think they are all starting to produce wee lemons though. It'll be the first year of more than one lemon so I'm a wee bit excited!
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 7:02pm
I'm not sure about lemons but did a bit of research into manderins as our 2yo tree sprouted a thorny branch a little while ago so I wanted to find out what to do with it. If you look about 1/4 of the way up the main trunk there will a sort of ring around the trunk and if anything grows below there then you need to cut it off (as our thorny branch was!)
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 7:04pm
Bizzy, I have heard that planting lemons and manderins too close together can make the manderins grow pips, nothing about being sour though?
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 8:14pm
Lol I have read alot of gardening books, and I have a poor lemon tree that has been through alot and its still surviving. As KH25 says above, make sure its the ones below the graft otherwise you will cut of the good plant. The root stock sometimes fruits but they are often poor quality, seedy and just not good. Good luck

Post Reply Post Reply