FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHG (Hyperemesis gravidarum)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Dally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HG (Hyperemesis gravidarum)
    Posted: 19 September 2011 at 1:20pm
Anyone out there that has suffered with this? & if so did you have for all your pregnancies? & how many weeks were you when it hit?

I suffered servere HG with my first. I had it up until the day he was born, ended up in hospital 4 times, lost over 10kgs & was taking zofran (ondansetron) 3 times a day. I've just found out I'm pregnant & now I am sooooo scared of HG returning. It hit at 6 weeks with my first & I'm 5 weeks now & I feel like I am living in fear!!

What are the chances of having HG again?

Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 1:59pm
With friends of mine yet highly likely you'll get it again.

What I do know is that as soon as you start feeling ill, get onto the drugs cause then the all the nausea receptors don't get turned on or something like that. My friend is about 32 weeks and still feeling sick. I feel so sorry for her.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
ALittleLoopy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALittleLoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 8:41pm
Had it with my first kicked in at 5 weeks but only lasted till bout 18weeks after that I could have been pre forever...lost 13kg in first trimester and mw still thinks its amazing I didn't end up in hosp...I thank mizone and powerades plus drinking lots even though it mostly comes back up again.

I'm death scared of it happening again too which is why we are giving a bigger gap so #1 is a bit more indepndent.
I know a lady from play centre that did with number one and has barely been sick, just naseous this time. I was told its 50/50 chance as all pregs are different.

Good luck

CHEM 6/12+
pumpkino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pumpkino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 9:19pm
I had HG pretty bad with my first - lost 10kg in first trimester, was hospitalised for dehydration twice and was on cyclizine until 34 weeks. I was told I was more likely to get it again with further pregnancies but by no means certain.
Am currently pregnant with no 2 and unfortunately have HG again. However, it doesn't seem quite as bad - I think that's because I knew straight away when it progressed from "normal" morning sickness (throwing up a few times a day, able to keep some food/drink down) to HG (throwing up every ten mins even if I haven't had anything to eat/drink), so I asked my GP for help and got on the drugs a lot quicker than last time. Also because I knew the chances were that I would get it again, I kind of feel like I am partly responsible - but in a positive way, ie I knew what I was signing up for when we decided to try for No 2, so because it was partially my "choice" it doesn't seem so horrid/unfair. Weird how our brains work!!

Good luck - you never know, you might be fine. If no, at least you know it's treatable and survivable - and of course, totally worth it in the end.

P :)
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 9:55pm
Yes- both times. Was on cylizine and zoftron in my 2nd pg, and they helped it be 'just' ms rather than an all day all night spew fest. TBH, it's a MAJOR reason I don't want a 3rd baby. It may only be 9 months but it's a looooooooong 9 months when you're that sick And yeah when you have other kids already it's a million times harder cos you can't even rest.
Good luck, I so hope you don't get it this time!

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 9:58pm
Had it with my first from about 4 weeks until 11 (pregnancy ended, long story) also lost 11+kgs in that time too, but not with my second. Just normal ms from 3 weeks until about 14.
Dally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 7:46am
well you guys have given me some hope! I woke up this morning feeling a little seedy which is how it started last time. 3 days of nausea & then bang, the toilet became my best friend every 5/10 minutes. I think that's what scares me the most is trying to cope now that I have a 1 year old (on thursday). Last time I was sick from week 6 until week 38 (when DS was born), I had to take 9 weeks off work in the beginning & even then I had to revert to part time hours as I just couldn't function until lunch time. This wasn't a planned pregnancy, I have been on the pill so it was quite a shock to be honest. I have a few ondansetron pills left from last time but I am going to head to the doc today to get another prescription.

Thanks everyone :)
mollycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mollycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 9:16am
My friend had this really bad with her first baby. With her second she ended up in hospital on a drip with the anti nausea meds in the drip and she said after that she was barely ill. She was convinced what helped was getting hydrated and on the drugs straight away with number 2.

Mucky_Tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mucky_Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 10:17am
Bad story following.....
Cousin had it pretty bad with her first. She's 6foot tall and 75kg normally. With J (boy) she lost 15kg and was on every Med possible and in and out hospital for drips.
3years later they plan a 2nd child. Conceive twins. Morning sickness started before she got the +HPT. it got worse from there. her placenta started detaching from 14weeks due to the force behind her vomiting causing one twin to pass away. Back in hospital every 3days from IV drips and hardcore anti nausea stuff. Threatedned labour at 22weeks from vomiting so cervix stitched. By this stage she is 50kg and her kidneys and liver are shutting down so she starts dialysis. 38weeks a healthy 7lb2 baby is born whose only problem is jaundice and lactose intolerance. Mum is then 41kg and ty old never to have a 3rd child. But by some miracle the second baby was out er kidney and liver functions sorted themselves out and the weight has started come back.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 11:33am
Yikes MT!
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Mucky_Tiger Mucky_Tiger wrote:

Bad story following.....
Cousin had it pretty bad with her first. She's 6foot tall and 75kg normally. With J (boy) she lost 15kg and was on every Med possible and in and out hospital for drips.
3years later they plan a 2nd child. Conceive twins. Morning sickness started before she got the +HPT. it got worse from there. her placenta started detaching from 14weeks due to the force behind her vomiting causing one twin to pass away. Back in hospital every 3days from IV drips and hardcore anti nausea stuff. Threatedned labour at 22weeks from vomiting so cervix stitched. By this stage she is 50kg and her kidneys and liver are shutting down so she starts dialysis. 38weeks a healthy 7lb2 baby is born whose only problem is jaundice and lactose intolerance. Mum is then 41kg and ty old never to have a 3rd child. But by some miracle the second baby was out er kidney and liver functions sorted themselves out and the weight has started come back.

Was this really necessary? I MEAN REALLY?
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 11:52am
I have to agree... that was a completely unnecessary and frightening tale to tell people!

I am positive that the above mentioned horror story is incredibly rare and not something women should be worrying about when they are dealing HG!

Sometimes I think the old saying "think before you speak" should be used more when people sit down at a keyboard!

mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 12:01pm
Absolutely agree mummyofprinces.

I would hate for a pregnant woman, who already has enough to worry about, be worried that her uterus is going to detach each time she vomited.

Have some tact!
Cinderella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinderella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 12:14pm
I had this from 8 weeks till about 30 weeks with my first son. 18 months later with second had almost no MS. This time felt seedy at times but not spewing.

With my first i visited the doc at 8 weeks and was told I had a urinary infection. Started on antibiotics straight away. I believe this is what started it for me. Within 3 days I was spewing up every 30 minutes and had to leave my job. At 15 weeks I was able to work 6 hours one day a week. Any more was too much.

I eat alot of very small meals but every 2 hours to controll MS.
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 12:29pm
Coming from someone with NO blimmin kids, it's a bit rich, Mucky Tiger...you lack a tact gene, so I'm going to bypass mine for the time being....
Why in the hang do you even post in here?? You have no children, you aren't TTC by the looks of things and all your posts seem to do are offend and upset people with stupid tactless comments.
I've held my tongue too long, but this time I am saying something. Either keep your tactless thoughts to yourself or clear off.

And OP yes, chances are high of haivng it again. The sickenss may be worse second time round cos you can't slope off mid day for a nap!!

Edited by fattartsrock
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 7:23pm
WTF???? Holy bejesus Mucky Tiger what is wrong with you??? Agree with PP about the TOTAL inappropriateness and also the fact that you aren't even TTC so what the hell are you doing in the pregnancy threads spreading horror stories that aren't even yours to tell?!!

G.O A.W.A.Y!!!

To the OP - I had terrible HG with #1 and was in and out of hospital and on meds. My pharmacist thought I must have had cancer because the drug cocktail I was on was normally for chemo patients I did find that being hydrated by IV made a big difference. Second time round though I had a touch of HG over a 6 week period but thankfully we got on top of it so I found the pregnancy alot easier!! Warm water with a splash of lemon juice, apple juice and soda water, and gaviscon are pretty great at keeping the stomach settled.

GL!!! And congrats
TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Dally Dally wrote:

Anyone out there that has suffered with this? & if so did you have for all your pregnancies? & how many weeks were you when it hit?

I suffered servere HG with my first. I had it up until the day he was born, ended up in hospital 4 times, lost over 10kgs & was taking zofran (ondansetron) 3 times a day. I've just found out I'm pregnant & now I am sooooo scared of HG returning. It hit at 6 weeks with my first & I'm 5 weeks now & I feel like I am living in fear!!

What are the chances of having HG again?

I didn't have it,(had running to the bathroom morning sickness for a few weeks,but not so bad that I lost weight or had to take anything for it) ...I don't blame you for being scared of getting it again,that sounds horrible
I sincerely hope this baby gives you a break and you have little or no MS this time!

blessedmama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 8:30pm
I had it all through both pregnancies but had a much better experience second time round. First pregnancy my midwife didn't even let me know there were drugs I could take so I really suffered. Second time round I was referred to the hospital to manage it with medication and ondansetron was what got me through.

Second time round I knew I was pregnant before I'd done the HPT because of nausea so I get it pretty early.

Hang in there...you already have knowledge up your sleeve and I think that's a big factor second time round. You can get on top of things early - whereas first time round I think it hits you before you really know what's happening and you are completely reliant on other people giving you information.
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 5:48pm
Def agree with the IV fluids thing.... had it 2nd time around and it did help

ALittleLoopy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALittleLoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 5:55pm
Holey crap that's a scare story MT!!! I always worried all the chucking might affect something in there hell knows my ribs were sore as hell and my throat burned but detatching uterus freaking hell!!!

This is a major reason I don't want #2 till #1 can look after herself more coz if i get it again I can barely lookater me mem let alone her!!

Glad to hear of some better stories tho

CHEM 6/12+
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>