FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBig Decisions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kellyrally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellyrally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Decisions
    Posted: 27 September 2011 at 9:20pm
Hi everyone. This is the third time I have tried to write this post. I am having trouble putting my thoughts into coherent words right now! It's a long story that I am going to cut VERY short, but basically...I am single (very very single) and the first time I have had sex in months and months was a HUGE error in judgement and I now believe I am pregnant.

I have not confirmed this as yet, because I still officially have not missed my period (expecting it in a few days). But I just know. That probably sounds stupid...but I know my body and something is not right. I have many symptoms of early pregnancy which seem to be a dramatic shift in how my body usually functions. I have also been in the situation before ( many years ago) so that is probably why I am so sure that I am pregnant.

Right now, I feel so angry at myself. I mean once is an error, but twice and your just stupid right? The first time I was pregnant was completely different. I was so young and I was not on the pill. I probably deserved it. I did not decide to keep the baby because I just could not at that time.

This time...it's more of a on the pill but taking anti-biotics situation. A total mistake...
But my life is completely different. I am a professional in a great career (teacher) and I know who I am as a person now. I am 26 years old and I usually have my wits about me.

Now the story is over...my question is...if I am pregnant, am I CRAZY to be thinking that I could possibly keep this baby and be a solo mum? I need people to be honest with me here. Yes, I have a job and the ability to save a bit of cash before I would have the baby. But I don't have a house, I don't have any kind of assets....
Also, I am only in the beginning of my career; how will I possibly manage having a baby and continuing my career? I have worked so hard to get to where I am...I cannot throw it all away.

I apologise, this is such an essay...but I just need someone to be frank with me and share their experiences and hopefully give me some inspiration.

Sponsored Links

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2011 at 10:07pm
Nope you're doing better than me when I was a single mum

Don't think of it as throwing your career away, you're only putting it on hold for about 5 years and you could always work part-time as a TA or sub teacher or something once you get past the NB stage and can bear to leave bubs! Keeps your finger in the pie right??

Its not so normal for people to own their own houses these days and assets? Ha most people don't know what they are

I suggest a. taking a test so you know for sure, b. setting some realistic goals for the next 9m about what you need to have for baby and what you need to put aside money-wise, do you need to find a new place to live? etc etc. (and don't set your goals too high - baby doesn't need much and 2ndhand is always smart!) and c. cut yourself some slack sometimes the most unexpected surprises become gifts that make your life what you always dreamed and never thought was possible. My son did that for me

GL!!
kellyrally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellyrally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 7:03am
thank you for that. I am always quite hard on myself I think. I feel really irresponsible at the moment and I am usually the polar opposite of that!! But you are right...cut myself some slack; my friends say that to me all the time haha.

I will be taking a test this weekend...see what happens.

Scary!

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 8:23am
Yeah I can be pretty hard on myself too lol I just list all the things I've done right (I often need help to do that though ) and try balance it out.
It isn't the most responsible thing to do sure (I mean since you asked for honesty lol) but its no more irresponsible than getting pregnant while in an abusive relationship - thats what I did Sometimes we don't give our babies, or ourselves as mamas, the ideal start but its how we take it from there that counts.

Keep us posted on the test results k
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 10:00am
I dont think that having a house and assets will make much difference - there are plenty of couples who have children without having either!

If you are pregnant you have plenty of time to prepare.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2011 at 11:08am
If you are pregnant, you can take a couple of terms off teaching and then go back so you don't need to lose your career. Have a look into the types of care there are for children & see what works best with you.

You don't need to own a house, or lots of assets, babies don't care about that stuff, and kids don't either. They care that they are loved and looked after.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2011 at 8:38pm
Of course you can do it.

Having partner is not neccesarily a plus (well for me it wasnt!) and I have alot more family support now its just me and my wee man.

good luck - let us know how you get on

Post Reply Post Reply