FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFormula top up for 8mth old

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CJsays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJsays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formula top up for 8mth old
    Posted: 07 October 2011 at 9:55pm
Hi my frozen expressed BM is about to run out and I unfortunately am not expressign anywhere near enough for E's night bottle (I BF the other 3 feeds) so will need to start trying to BF her and formula topup in the next week. Am worried because she may have a potentially sensitive stomach and possible lactose intolerance as i have both, any recommendations on formula to use (that isnt the Neocate massively expensive persciption only one!)? She was born prem so I hate the thought of having to do formula topups as I want to give her the best possible since she had a tough start to life, but you can only do what you can naturally do! AM going to try and see if she will drop a feed which will help then i can just fully BF her all day, i only get 25ml when expressing from both boobs at night when she would feed, so i know there is definitely not enough there (she has 150ml bottle).
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2011 at 10:25pm
I"m pretty sure there is a lactose free one in the supermarket.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
shellgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2011 at 7:46am
We used S26 Lactose free when my fellow needed formula top-ups. I think there may also be a nurture version but our tiny supermarket only carried the S26 version. About $25 a tin if I recall.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2011 at 8:54am
Just because you can only express a small amount doesnt mean you wont have enough. A baby will get more out than a breast pump. And of course the more she feeds the more your body will make. You could try a BF while you explore your formula options and see how it goes, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Bizzy

kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2011 at 4:14pm
we've used S26 lactose free formula before moving onto Neocate with DD1. While she still reacted to it, it was alot better than the standard formulas

CJsays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJsays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2011 at 9:52pm
Yeah Bizzy that is exactly what i intend to do. I tried to BF a couple of weeks ago (when she was sick tho) and no success at all, she wolfed down 140ml of expressed milk after. did this 2 days in a row. but am hoping it might work after a few days, so if she has to have abit of formula while the body builds up supply so be it, but I really hope to avoid it, but i do need ot mentally prepare myself to accept that if she does need it till she drops to 3 feeds then she will have to have it. i gues sta least at 8 months corrected age her body has a better digestive system since it is handling solids and stuff now.
I was just reading that the karicare might be good too as it is mainly a whey formula, instead of the cassein? so lower irritant?
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 3:06pm
CJsays, whey based formulas are definitely easier to digest than caesin based formula but Karicare on my understanding is caesin based?

S26 and Heinz nurture are whey based as well as the Novalac formulas all are. They do an anti constipation formula which I had my son on before neocate which is basically just a really gentle, easily digested formula, it's nice and light.

My suggestion is try a lactose free formula (S26 and Karicare do them, probably other brands too), or you could try soy formula or goats milk formula. She's at an age now where they're allowed to have soy milk on their food etc so I wouldn't think it would be too bad to use soy formula. MY DS is 10 months and I've been giving him soy milk on cereal and in baking for a month or so and it's been all good.

Alternatively if she does have these issues if you go to a paed they might prescribe you neocate, which is free if you have a prescription (over $100 for tiny 400g tin if not lol). That's where we ended up because DS is dairy intolerant, but before we figured that out whey based formula was definitely better tolerated than the others.

Good luck, and you are not doing a bad thing by giving her some formula, you have BF'ed her 8 months which is awesome I never got past 8 weeks though I tried and tried and tried, so well done you, if you need to give her a bottle of formula too that is ok, she is still getting your milk. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
CJsays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJsays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 9:10pm
thx wriggly jiggly, just hard to mentally adjust to it... i have 2 days left of my milk in the freezer now so will have to do something by the end of the week i think. i have some sample sachets of Karicare and the S26 people sent me the wrong sample (12+months!) so will have to ask for some more from them. thx for the advice! Karicare advertise that theirs is the only whey predominant one and the others have that casses stuff in it, but i have heard that most babioes tolerate the S26 best so what to do 1st eh??!
 Post Reply Post Reply