FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAny recommendations???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BikeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BikeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any recommendations???
    Posted: 13 October 2011 at 6:00pm
Hi
I'm sure that there are recommendations on the nappyaholics forum but to be honest I don't have time to scroll through the 200 odd pages of posts!
I am new to cloth nappies and wondered if there are any that you would recommend.
I am trying out a few totsbots which I like, the bamboozle is great for absorbancy but I'd like something not so bulky for daytime use ... currently trying the totsbots easyfits which I also like but wondered if there was anything else I should try first before buying more ... that wont leak (tried some babycheeks and they leaked) I am so over leaks!
Thanks Ladies
Sponsored Links

maya22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maya22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2011 at 6:08pm
It depends on you and your child!
There is no one answer that suits all babies, or all families.
It depends if you like the customisation of pockets, the ease of all-in-ones or the versitility of all-in-twos.
Really the only way you can find the right ones is by trial and error, not what you want to hear. Maybe buy a second hand one on TM to check for fit before buying lots more.

What is bulky now on a 2 month old probably won't be on a four month old, so if you just wait you might find the ones you have are perfect.

Brands that are popular at the moment (fashions change): itti bitti, fuzzibunz, baby blush, close parent pop-ins, ecobubs...

Also if you sew, or someone you know sews, nappies are dead easy and much much cheaper to make your own.
DS1 July 2007
DS2 Nov 2010
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2011 at 7:03pm
My stash is Itti Bitti's and My baby pockets. I use pop-in's with night booster for night times, and also Ecobubs.

I have the Itti Bitti Tutto's and some Snap in Ones. They are both very trim and can hold alot. I would recommend buying from the mediums up and skipping the small size.

If your nappies are brand new then it take a few washes for them to get up to absorbancy. One way is to soak the inserts over night in cold water then wash normally. If they are hemp fibre ones they take alot longer as the natural oil has to be washed out. Otherwise try changing her sooner (like after every pee), or adding more absorbancy.

With young babies nappies often will fit great one week then not so well the next. Keep trying different ones and you will find something you like.

E&L+1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E&L+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2011 at 7:45pm
I've used heaps of brands, including tots bots. I prefer the pop in nappies to tots bots easy fits, they are much trimmer and I can get a better fit. You can use the pop ins with a booster at night too. I have bamboozles that work well as a night nappy but I find too bulky as a day nappy. Ittis are great too and super trim.

Pockets are great as you can customise the absorbancy to suit. I personally prefer being able to snap in the inserts rather than stuffing pockets. But they were my main nappy for quite sometime.

For the first 2/3 months I used pre-folds and covers then moved to different types, I'm doing the same this time around as it is easy to get a good fit on a little baby with them and I'm not paying for small nappies that last only a short time.

Best thing to do as others say is try a few brands and find ones that suits. It can be good to have a few different brands as baby's shape can change and so can your preference.
Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 9:01am
Totally recommend Itti Bitti's too. The only other ones I have tried are Baby Behinds which are also good but I find them a bit fiddly to do up on a wriggling baby.

I've got SIO's and some Tutto's but I'm not fussed on the Tutto's, although I expect they may be better when my girls are bigger.

E&L+1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E&L+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 11:30am
I'm not fussed on Tuttos either Danda, much prefer my SIOs. I'm glad I only brough 1 to try.
BikeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BikeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 3:47pm
Are the Tutto's the ones that come with a million and one snap in inserts? I didn't even try it! It just looked so complicated, have just ordered a couple of their other ones as they have a sale on at the mo
Dutchy112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchy112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2011 at 8:35pm
I used the Real Nappies prefolds for the first 6 months as they are a perfect fit (they come in four sizes) and are very affordable (I'll be using them again soon !). After that I moved on to pockets and fitted nappies.
I find that with pockets, it often depends on the booster/insert you use. E.g. microfibre is much more bulky than bamboo or hemp (but the downside of those is that they take longer to dry).
The advantage of fitted nappies (I have found so far) is no leaks!
I've tried a large variety of nappies and each have their own advantages. Things to consider include: your baby's age and build, toilet habits (e.g. heavy wetter or long sleeper), whether you will use the nappy for a second and third child, how often do you want to wash your nappies, how do you plan to dry your nappies, overall cost and (for some more important than others) attractiveness of the nappy (cloth nappies are addictive!).   
Mum to DS1 (July 2009) and DS2 (October 2011)
For quality nappies & advice, check:
The Cloth Nappy Company, Christchurch, NZ
Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2011 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by BikeBaby BikeBaby wrote:

Are the Tutto's the ones that come with a million and one snap in inserts? I didn't even try it! It just looked so complicated, have just ordered a couple of their other ones as they have a sale on at the mo

They are the OSFA Itti. So yep they have a few extra snaps so you can size them. I found they didn't fit as nicely as the SIO's, kinda sagged in the bum cos of the extra fabric.
BikeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BikeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 8:08am
Have ordered a SIO and an AIO from Ittibitti so will see how they go ... I do like the totsbots easyfits too so ordered a couple more of them aswell
Flutterby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flutterby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 9:30am
I also used prefolds for the first 2 mths then slowly moved onto others. Now I use Ittis during the day and pop in + night booster at night. I also really like my monk N bear, it has done 5 hrs at night without a leak. I was also using GroVias with prefolds but have gone off them.
BikeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BikeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 1:40pm
Thanks for all the tips! Would everyone agree that you get what you pay for and that it's worth spending extra and getting a good brand nappy?
Dutchy112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchy112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 7:15pm
I do feel that way and that's not because I'm co-owner of the Cloth Nappy Company (since May this year).

After the Real nappies, I got pockets for DS on Trade Me (as cloth nappies have quite a substantial initial outlay). However I've already binned half of them as the elastic and/or the velcro had gone! Gives me an excuse to get some more but at the same time I'm annoyed as you expect them to last for a bit longer.

Now that I've 'moved on' to more well known (and expensive) brands I notice the difference in containment, quality of the fabric and looks. Many of the retailers offer layby to spread the cost of a set of cloth nappies. Just treat the weekly payment for cloth nappies as if you were going to the supermarket and buying disposable nappies. Reusable nappies are much more affordable than going to the supermarket each week
Mum to DS1 (July 2009) and DS2 (October 2011)
For quality nappies & advice, check:
The Cloth Nappy Company, Christchurch, NZ
Mama-Me View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama-Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2011 at 2:13pm
I recommend giving the Cushie Tushies Chameleon and Grovia a go as they are highly absorbent and fit really well.

It does depend on what shape your baby is as to which brand will work best for you. What works for others wont always work for you.

I've put together a handy guide on my website that might be of help - Scamps Cloth Nappy Guide
BikeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BikeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 11:56am
Have ordered a Grovia to try also, I also got a babyfirst and a cheapie from Baby Factory ... that should give me a few to get an idea. The ittibitti arrived yesterday but it looks very narrow ... we will see
Kalimirella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalimirella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 1:25pm
I'm also a prefolds fan for the first few months, probably will use them up to 6ish mths for my youngest. I also like the Tuttos, once you figure out the snaps they are easy, trim through the legs and absorbant.
I use the pop ins with night booster for overnight on my older child and now that my younger one is starting to sleep longer I'll need to get more.

Those are just my likes. I've also got 1 homemade one which is awesome (but I didn't make it it was given to me) so if you do know someone who sews they can turn out really well.
Kiara is 3 and Teagan is 2, now we're expecting our long awaited 3rd!
 Post Reply Post Reply