FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBreast to formula

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
#2onthewayxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote #2onthewayxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breast to formula
    Posted: 02 November 2011 at 3:24pm
My bub was born 3wks early due to my pre eclampsia. Because of this, in hospital we were supplementing his feeds w a top up of formula in order to get his weight up. Now it seems nothing quenches his thirst/hunger except formula so we have decided to switch. However, does any one have any advice as to which formula to use? And how you monitor how much bubs is eating if he spits up quite a bit?
Sponsored Links

maya22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maya22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 4:33pm
you stay with whatever formula he is on at the moment unless there is a reason to change.

Gold formula are a marketing gimmick.

And you don't monitor how much they drink, you just give enough at each feed so that bubs is satisfied. Breasts don't have volume markers, and so you don't need to take notice of bottle volume markers either.

If bubs is gaining weight, happy and healthy, peeing and pooing, then you have got the balance right.

Listen to your instincts.
DS1 July 2007
DS2 Nov 2010
mummymonster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummymonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 5:55pm
I know it's not for everyone, but have you talked to your GP/Lactation consultant about domeperidone? I've got supply issues and ended up FF DS1. This time round I was more on top of the situation and am on domeperidone.

ETA - that's not to say there's anything wrong with FF - just someone else I know started in a similar situation with FF in neonates and said she found out about domeperidone too late.

Edited by IsaacsMum
#2onthewayxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote #2onthewayxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 6:16pm
That's great. Thanks, ill ask my lmc about that.
And that's good to know, the formula we are using is novalac which I had never heard of til bubs dad bough it, but if they are all pretty much the same then u I won't worry :)
buzylizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzylizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2011 at 8:47pm
We decided to go with something with omega supplements in. Karicare worked well for us but bub never drank the volumes the have on the tin and gained enough. He was on reflux novalac at night to help limit the spilling at night.
 Post Reply Post Reply