FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedArticle in the Herald

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Article in the Herald
    Posted: 22 November 2011 at 12:08pm
I saw this in the Herald today. I felt wretched for the poor wee girl, and am kind of shocked that someone could do that - but I do have some real respect for the father fronting up on his own accord. According to the article "Later that morning the defendant took his daughter into her kindergarten and told staff what he had done, saying: "I don't want to be a statistic like on TV, I don't know what to do.''

He'll be punished for it, and rightly so - but I hope he can sleep easier knowing the did the right thing after doing the wrong thing, if that makes any sense?

Edited by Hopes

Sponsored Links

Jaune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2011 at 1:45pm
Agree with you Hopes. He did do the right thing, after doing the totally wrong thing, but definitely better to seek help knowing the consequences than not and potentially do worse in the future.

Poor girl...wouldn't be surprised if soiling herself becomes an even bigger problem now after her father's reaction and actions.

I hate reading stories like that...

Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2011 at 8:40pm
That's so sad, at least he has asked for help.

Oct 11
UpsyDaisy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpsyDaisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2011 at 8:31am

To me this is actually a positive story that the ads about family violence are working and he was able to admit he has a problem. He will get convicted but more importantly I hope he gets help to better manage his anger and some sort of parenting course also.

I hate reading stories about child abuse/murder but feel I have some responsibility to. I don't know what we can do as a country to make this stop - but its is a consideration for who I am voting for this Sat. I also watched the documentary about child poverty comparing us with sweden was quite shocking.
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2011 at 7:00pm
Seems like there has been a lot of child abuse in the news lately but I wonder if that is coz we only moved back to NZ in April...I def don't remember hearing about as much abuse over there.

Oct 11
UpsyDaisy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpsyDaisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2011 at 8:26pm

Seems like there is alot of child abuse in NZ where were you living before Nutella?

20% of children in NZ are living in poverty and very high rates of abuse in comparison with other OECD countries.

So many horrible things happen now that even though I am a fairly regular news reader I have read a sentencing for a child murder case I cannot recall. I think they don't aways get reported nationally anymore, or not widely reported.   A child is killed on average every 5 weeks in NZ
MaisonLuxe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaisonLuxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 4:09pm
So absolutely heartbreaking. I noticed the difference in child abuse rates since moving here too (from Australia). Why? - is it lack of Govt intervention and support, more poverty?

Jules, like you, I hate reading child abuse stories in the media, I usually ending up in tears, but I can't stop myself, I feel like I need to know and owe it to the child to care.

I have been a teacher in the past, it's awful seeing kids in pain or suffering because they can't do anything to stop it, they can't help themselves. They are just innocent little people who have 'stuff' inflicted upon them at the hands of cruel, heartless and horrible adults lacking any sense of self control.
Karen
Maison Luxury Home and Lifestyle
Exclusive stockists of Linea Bimbi Baby Care in NZ
 Post Reply Post Reply