FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIncome

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Income
    Posted: 03 December 2011 at 5:25pm
Hi all

Just wondering where you single mothers get your income from. I am about to go it alone, and just trying to find out what I will be entitled to and from where.

From what I understand the options are:

DPB + Accom supplement (is there anything else you can get?)

or

Income from part time job + WFF (if working more than 20 hours) + child support.

My youngest has only just turned one, and my other son is 3, so 20 hours a week seems a lot to me. What is everyone else doing?
Sponsored Links

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2011 at 6:03pm
I started out on the DPB, plus working 11 hours a week. So got wages (paid secondary tax), DPB topup (reduced DPB due to my wages), WFF (you still qualify, just not for the in-work part) and accommodation supplement.

Now I work 30 hours a week, so get my wages, accommodation supplement, WFF (including in-work part) and child support.    I also get my childcare subsidy to help pay for fulltime care.

ETA: When I first separated from my ex, the girls had just turned 1. I went to 30hrs per week when they were 2.

Edited by minik8e
HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2011 at 6:22pm
I also work about 30 hours a week so get my income (self employed), child support and childcare subsidy. Im not sure if I am entitled to WFF because my income fluctuates quite a bit so I am enrolled, but will wait until the end of the year to see if I get anything.

My accountant said there are so many different options out there, but even he doesnt know them all. There are some from WINZ, others from IRD but (surprise, surprise) they are not very well known or advertised so alot of people don't end up claiming what they are entitled to.

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2011 at 8:10pm
You can get th DPB, WFF family tax credit and accomodation supplement. You may also be eligable for temporary additional support depending on your situation and costs.

The DPB is paid a week in arrers which can muck you up at the start. It is $276 per week. WFF is $88 per week (if you do not have any income) and the accomodation supplement depends on what part of the country you live in, you can use the online calculator for it, just say you are not receiving a benefit and continue through to work out what you may get.

You can also get a food grant which is $450 per year and EVERYONE can get this. Just make an appointment and go in, you need to have a good reason why you need it and they only give out up to $150 at a time, you will get a payment card and you can ring up during the year and ask for more.

They also can give you money towards a bond or purchasing whiteware, you have to pay it back over time, but its interest free. The max rate of the child care subsidy is $3.84 and it depends on how much you are earning and how long they are in care for.

I have just got a job working 6 hours a week through plunket, and it means that I earn under the threashold where they cut your benefit. Next year I will be looking to find more work or go into study. My girl is 19 months old.

Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2011 at 8:13pm
I work between 27.5 and 30 hrs per week and also get WFF, child care subsidy and child support. I have a flatmate too which brings down the cost of my accomodation.
mizpix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizpix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2011 at 10:39pm
I've been working 30 hours a week since Alex was 3 months old,Was getting WFF and some childcare subsidy,but now am back full time so dont qualify for anything.For me the thought of working so much with a young child is daunting but in actual fact it's not that bad,you just have to be super organised.
cheekymouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2011 at 7:21am
i have been working 40 hours since DS was 5 months old.So i get wages, WFF, childcare subsidy and child support.

I was on the DPB for about 2-3 months and used the additional support for a bit to get me on my fit and got WFF.
blossombaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blossombaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2011 at 9:05pm
I'm not a single parent but I work with this stuff ;)

With wff its made up of 3 things the
FTC - base rate for 1 child is 88, 2 /$149 etc ect the more you earn the less you get
iwtc - for working 20+hrs as a single parent with 2 children $60
MFTC - to make your taxable income (self employment/sw) to a after tax amout of $427.

so you would get at least $636 after tax (my understanding alot more then dpb) + c/support etc

Them like the others said the above from winz again all income tested.
sicne your sons 3 you would get 20 free hours for him - imo much better off working 20hrs is a huge amount really eitehr 2 10hr days or 3 smaller days.
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 8:35pm
blossom - one thing you forgot to say is that with the IWTC, you can only get it if you work over 20 hrs per week plus don't get any form of benefit top up. You cannot be registered for any kind of benefit (even if you're not actually getting paid anything) and receive the IWTC.
Kimmy007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimmy007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2011 at 2:38pm
hi guys

only 15 weeks and am doing this alone - so my question is - if I live with my dad currently - if I stay there after the birth am I still able to get living allowance - I am paying him board - will they take into account how much he earns? Or am I better off to move out prior to the birth and start paying rent to claim it once bub is here - I dont want to live with my dad forever he has done his time raising bubbas ! but am not sure of the timing...any thoughts would be great - and awesome that you can get DPB and WFF
newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 7:24pm
Thanks for the info everyone.

I am going to try and get a part time job in order to get the in work tax credit too. I live in a small town so that is kinda hard as there aren't too many jobs going.

I am really worried about my youngest son, and how he will cope going to preschool. But needs must.

DH (hmmm, maybe I should remove the 'D') has found a place to move to, and will be moving out next week. I have been wanting it to happen for a while now, but now that it is actually happening I am feeling so sad, and sick with worry. I am a mess.
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2011 at 8:26pm
Just remember, if you have a part-time job and still get a top up from the DPB, you won't get the In Work Tax Credit, even if you do the required hours.
KirstyO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KirstyO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2012 at 11:14am
How are things going, newme??

lightning8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightning8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2012 at 9:11am
Hi,

I am a single mum too!
I have 2 little kids 3 & turning 2 yo.
I work full-time. And I put them to daycare full time also.
I used to have DPB maybe 2 years ago & that was because I got redundant from my job. I guess if you own a mortgage you'll get more benefits from WINZ. But at the end of the day that's still not enough. So I kick my ass to go back & find a job. If you are a single parent unless you'll not getting $90k/annum I think you are still entitled to get some working tax credits. Which is what I'm getting now. And a big part of the daycare fee can be subsidize by WINZ/OSCAR. Depends on your income & number of children though.

Cheers!
fillynz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fillynz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2012 at 10:51pm
Well I think that WINZ WFF and all of them suck, recently separated but husband left me with the lifestyle block that is not actually worth the $500K mortgage that is on it and because I own it and it is more valued at $500K even though the mortgage is $500K I don't get diddly squat! So have had to get a 2nd job while being pregnant with 2nd child and ex has kindly opted to pay $1000K towards mortgage per month but WFF take that as my income and so don't even get accommodation. Sucks because I have paid my taxes for the last 15 years never been on any benefit and when I need it the most I can't get anything! and with the money form my ex it puts me out of for the daycare subsudy..... Will have to sell property and take the loss and move back home then I might get something. Not happy at the moment.
Hope you have better luck than me.
aers270191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aers270191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2012 at 3:48pm
I get my base bene+acc supplement+temp add support+wff and have a limit of $100 for groceries for the two of us and food for my cat per week and after bills less than $30 a week for things such as petrol or other "luxuries" I make it work as I make all my own food, no take out or other treats, and all of my boys food is home made too. Bit more work but worth it on your pocket
mcleods1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcleods1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2014 at 4:22pm
Totally with you on this! Was earning really well when I was on my own and then lost the ability to work due to injury on job that ended up costing me thousands (farming - moving costs and paying bills for boss who was overseas that should have been reimbursed). Had a loan for $30000 and had a credit card which was clear, but racked it up to $10000 over 6 months while ACC buggered me around investigating whether they would pay the 80% wages even though my injury was covered and recorded, 2 doctors, an osteo and a surgeon wrote to them, but got nothing from them and WINZ wouldn't help at all until ACC declined which they wouldn't until they finished investigating so no income for a year. For 6 months of this time was pregnant and was lucky people gave me rent, treatment and food. WINZ then wouldn't give me a cent until I had "exhausted all my other options". So I had no assets, no income and was injured but they wouldn't give me anything because I had a well paying job previously.

FINALLY got help once baby was born but due to all the debt I now have I can barely afford enough to scrape together for food and I have sold absolutely everything I own bar her cot. Tried to work to make bills and they deducted benefit and secondary tax along with kiwisaver and SLoan and I ended up $100 worse off for 3 weeks. THE SYSTEM JUST DOESN'T WORK. I can't afford to work but I can't afford to live and pay all my bills on what I am getting either...
 Post Reply Post Reply