FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStress

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest_64538 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_64538 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stress
    Posted: 23 December 2011 at 12:24pm
Hi there, just found out at my 12 week scan last week we are having identical twins. Complete shock! Just trying to remain positive as ive noticed a few friends and family mention negative issues that i dont really need to dwell on. I started having breathing problems the other day just worrying about things so decided i cant do that, i need to remain relaxed for the babies.
However having an issue at my work with a colleague. We used to be on good friendly terms but recently she had a miscarriage. She came back to work after two weeks off and has barely looked me in the eye or talked to me since then. I walk in the room when shes talking to someone and she rushes out as fast as she can. She's talking normally and acting normal with everyone else apart from myself. I feel for her situation but i dont deserve to be treated this way. Her reaction to me having twins that she told another colleague was that i better not complain because she would rather have twins than not be pregnant at all. She admitted to another colleague that she finds it hard to be around me which i understand but its been a month now and im feeling a bit bullied. Shes already got two young girls and can always try again but this is my first and a stressful time for me and im not sure if i should confront her (probably make it worse) or just keep giving her time and space (which ive been doing). Any suggestions or advice?
Sponsored Links

Hibiscus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hibiscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2011 at 6:13pm
Hi Guest_64538, here is where the multiple mums usually hang out:

http://www.ohbaby.co.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23153&PN=1

There's usually lots of good advice there!
Congrats to your twin pregnancy and I would try to ignore that woman at your work. As you say, she has already two kids, so what is she complaining about? That she had a MC has nothing to do with you and while I can understand that she is probably depressed about it, she should not make you feel bad about being pregnant with twins. So my advice would be to ignore her and just focus on your own wellbeing entirely, that is important now. Try to not think about other peoples problems. Just walk away from it and say that is her problem, not mine.

edited for spelling

Edited by Hibiscus
Mum to 3 girls: identical twins and with a 3 year gap another girl.
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2011 at 7:07pm
As someone who's struggled with infertility, your colleague’s reaction is totally normal. That doesn't make it right, necessarily, but I totally understand it. Even with secondary infertility - since she's already got kids - she's struggling so badly with the fact that you've got what she so, so badly wants. She's probably still grieving the loss of her much-wanted baby, and you complaining WILL hurt like hell. To her, you're about the luckiest person alive, and if you whinge you look like you don'' appreciate it.

My advice would be to continue avoiding her, and not be hurt by the fact she wants to avoid you. It's not you, she's just hurt. By all means, feel free to express your feelings around people who will understand (being surprised with twins would be a bit of a shock, and I can totally understand you needing to talk it through, and worrying about the added concerns that come with an extra baby). Just don't do it while she's round... she doesn't want to hear, and you're not going to get any support from her for obvious reasons.

Most of all - and this is perhaps coloured by my own experience, so take it with a grain of salt - but don't consider yourself the injured party here. Despite the added challenges of twins, they'll be a double blessing too. She's not bullying you if she's hurting so much she chooses to avoid you. It could even be the opposite, she could easily be trying to steer clear of you because she doesn't want to say all the things that spring to mind that she knows WOULD be cruel and unfair. Feel sorry for her, not aggrieved.

Hibiscus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hibiscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2011 at 11:54pm
Sounds like a fair comment Hopes.
Mum to 3 girls: identical twins and with a 3 year gap another girl.
KellyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2012 at 2:35pm
Perhaps you could try and get support from your friends rather than co-workers. This way you'll still be getting plenty of support but you wont be making your workplace an uncomfortable enviroment for her. Have you tried talking to her about non-baby related things? Maybe you could try talking about something you did over the weekend or something and try going from there?

As stressfull as finding out your having twins is, I imagine losing a baby is a lot more stressfull and upsetting. A month is really not a long time to grieve for a baby she lost....... Also I have to say it probably still hurts regardless of if she has other kids and there could also be a possibility that she actually can't try again or can't face dealing with the chances of it happening again.

Maybe try thinking of how she feels and what she is going through, You've just got a double blessing and she's lost a child. She's probably not mad at you but rather finding it very difficult to deal with the loss of her baby.....
Guest_64538 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_64538 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2012 at 4:28pm
Hi there

I have a great amount of support from family & friends which is fab. I have given her my support after two months and given her some space, and i know there is no timeframe for how long to grieve for but its not fair to be accusing me of making her environment uncomfortable. She's making it uncomfortable for herself. I can't hide my giant belly or hush whisper to my other colleagues who ask me questions about my pregnancy, and its actually not fair on me to have to hide what is my first pregnancy and my happiness.

I cannot talk to her as she won't even respond to my good mornings when i walk in or when i have asked how she is she walks out so no chance of talking about something non pregnancy related. Also I just got engaged at Christmas and there was no congratulations on my engagement i still got ignored.

I feel for her situation and i do think about how she feels but its not two way, if she's having emotional difficulties healing then ignoring me or treating me like I'm the bad guy then she needs to get some help because its not helping her heal to treat me this way its holding her back.
Pixi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2012 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Guest_64538 Guest_64538 wrote:

Hi there, just found out at my 12 week scan last week we are having identical twins. Complete shock! Just trying to remain positive as ive noticed a few friends and family mention negative issues that i dont really need to dwell on. I started having breathing problems the other day just worrying about things so decided i cant do that, i need to remain relaxed for the babies.
However having an issue at my work with a colleague. We used to be on good friendly terms but recently she had a miscarriage. She came back to work after two weeks off and has barely looked me in the eye or talked to me since then. I walk in the room when shes talking to someone and she rushes out as fast as she can. She's talking normally and acting normal with everyone else apart from myself. I feel for her situation but i dont deserve to be treated this way. Her reaction to me having twins that she told another colleague was that i better not complain because she would rather have twins than not be pregnant at all. She admitted to another colleague that she finds it hard to be around me which i understand but its been a month now and im feeling a bit bullied. Shes already got two young girls and can always try again but this is my first and a stressful time for me and im not sure if i should confront her (probably make it worse) or just keep giving her time and space (which ive been doing). Any suggestions or advice?

First Congratulations!

Agree with you, you seemed of answered your own Qs," " keep given her all the space she needs to worked through her own issues".

Grief makes can make no sense the person who is going through it at times, but as you are a good friend to her, just hope she will see that in you.
If she a true friend she will bounce back.

The Neg stuff you mention:

Surround your self with uplifting friends and family, who will inspire you and not drag you down , even if they do unintentionally, people simply don't think as sensitive as others may hope. And go pamper yourself!

You have 2 wee ones to place all you good thoughts into. :) But must be still hard for you if you have to face all this, as if she was a good friend she should brave up to you her self sooner rather than never, as sounds as she is hurting more and thus, " blinded by her own concerns".

Focus on all the good, the rest will just be obstacles to over come and make you stronger.

Enjoy all the new things to come with you wee ones. And hope you friend may come back as friend to you if you both feel it can work, is she does not , lest you know you care.

Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2012 at 5:33pm
It does sound like she's struggling. To be honest I have a lot of sympathy for her. I'm sure you've had times in your life when its all been a bit much too, and you've struggled to cope.

But back to what you do about it... what is it you want? My guess would be ideally, her back to being on friendly terms, aware of her loss but with it not affecting your relationship. And perhaps if that's not possible, at least having a decent working relationship, where you can communicate past the essentials and do pleasantries like saying hello in the mornings. Let me know if I'm reading you wrong.

So, how do you get that? Well, I honestly can't see any answer that's going to work for you other than giving her time and space and being understanding of how she's feeling even if it hurts your own feelings. What are your options otherwise? Somehow force her to talk to you - perhaps by having her up about it, or talking to a manager? If she's not so inclined to at the moment, I can only see that going one of two ways - her forcing herself to talk to you for the sake of her job (and I'm sure that's not what you really want) or leaving work (and lets try not to put more pressure on someone already hurting, no?)

One other option would be to put how you feel in writing to her. It might help your relationship - but I'm reluctant to suggest it because honestly, I think that only something phrased in a really nice, caring loving way would do anything to help. Something a little blunter would probably just make things worse. And from the way you explain your feelings here, I'm thinking that you're hurt by her actions and that might affect how you wrote to her. But if you wanted to, feel free to run what you were going to send her past us, sometimes it helps to have the point of view from someone who's been on the other side of the fence

ETA that there's no need to either hide your pregnancy (as you say, like you could anyway!) or your happiness. Being happy, talking about it to your colleauges, having work throw you a baby shower (hopefully they will ) is part of being pregnant, and she does need to live with that even if she finds it hard. Obviously, talking to her about it is probably a no-go, as is loudly proclaiming near her desk that you're so HAPPY to be PREGNANT (I'm sure you wouldn't!)

Edited by Hopes

Bobchannz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobchannz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2012 at 9:52pm
So sensible Hopes!

It is fantastic that you are excited about your pregnancy. It sounds as though most of your colleagues are really happy for you.

I'm going in to bat for the other woman - trying to explore some of her experience. If you aren't interested in this then please don't read on! I don't want to come across as mean without a heads up!

Two months is not that long a time to grieve - many women grieve hard for the duration of the time that they would have been pregnant, and then for a short period of time later. The fact that she already has children of no consequence - if you lost a five year old child and had a six and seven year old child as well it wouldn't hurt less because you have other children.

I had a second trimester miscarriage while working at a hospital. I started hating to see new families go home with their babies - previously a perk of the job. But the hardest bit was a colleague who had her first grandchild due around the same time as I had been due. She was thrilled, and very happily showed me scan pics, gave me lengthy pregnancy updates and of course heaps of baby pics. I received a text when the baby was born.

It just about killed me. We were friendly, and I didn't want to diminish her joy and experience. But it hurt a lot. Perhaps I should have mentioned something to her quietly - but I didn't want to make a huge fuss. It was really painful and made work really trying. I would come home crying some days.   I grieved really hard for my lost baby for well over a year, and the date that she was born and died is still very difficult for me.

I kind of get the feeling here that it seems that there is no space in your workplace for her to grieve and for you to celebrate. All the congratulations and excitement that you receive for your pregancy is something that she was going to get as well. It really, really hurts. I bet you are asked how you are doing regularly - people very rarely ask women who have miscarried how they are doing after a couple of weeks. It may be very hard for her to get this kind of enquiry from you - a lot of women who have recently miscarried find it very, very difficult to be around pregnant women generally.

It sounds like your colleague would like some space from you - if you are unhappy with her not responding to your greetings then why bother? If she is still upset two months after her miscarriage that is still a very normal timeframe for grieving. It is in no way dysfunctional (most health professionals use a rough timeframe of six months as a normal time to grieve).

I worry about the benefits of talking to your manager about this. Is it genuinely a work problem? Or is it an interpersonal problem that does not impact on the work that you do, just your enjoyment of it? I ask because I wonder about what a manager would do with this kind of scenario. How is it likely to play out? I think your manager would be between a rock and a hard place.

Can you just ignore her and enjoy your special pregnancy with those who choose to share in your happiness? Discuss it at work and be happy, just try and keep the conversations to a minimum around her.
www.makedomum.blogspot.co.nz
Smad1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smad1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2016 at 9:25pm
First of all, congrats on your pregnancy.Your colleague is actually depressed on her miscarriage and envies your twin pregnancy. My advice is to ignore her. There is nothing wrong in your part and there is no need for you to get stressed.You should maintain a peaceful mind. Relax and listen to music. Don't think about this issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply