FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHome made reusable diapers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cridic1975 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cridic1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home made reusable diapers
    Posted: 28 December 2011 at 11:49pm
Hi all. So I've seen some patterns available to make your own 'all in one' typw diapers at home. Has anyone done this? Does it work out cheaper?
Me: 39
DH: 40
MMC: 11/13 (7 weeks)
Chem Preg: 04/14
3rd BFP - 15/5/14
EDD: 25/1/15
Sponsored Links

Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 12:23pm
I haven't seen home-made all-in-ones myself, although I'm sure it's possible. My SIL used home-made pocket nappies with a lot of success. I don't have either the sewing skills or the inclination to use pocket ones (AIOs suit me better) so I didn't even venture there, but I know it saved her a lot of money.

shellgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 10:19pm
My nappies are also home-made pockets, rather than all-in-ones (although I did make some fitteds and covers too for when my DS was really little). My pockets worked out at about $6-$8 each to make so it definitely is cheaper than buying quality MCN's. All-in-ones wouldn't be that much more as you would just need to sew in the absorbant layers rather than have them as separate inserts. One of the benefits of home made nappies is that you can adjust the fit to suit your child. My DS is tall with skinny hips and thighs so I have adjusted the leg shapes and elastic etc. to get a better fit on him.

mcshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 11:16pm
I've made the Wee Weka pockets which were fab, also added snaps to the inside leg elastic to make those adjustable (it was super fiddly though!!!).

I've had heaps more success with making fitted nappies (like an all-in-one but requires a waterproof overnap) - I've made them with both snaps and velcro (velcro I think is loads easier with newborns!).

It works out loads cheaper. Considering it's about $3,000 to get one baby from birth to toilet/potty in disposables, and about $200-$300 to set myself up for my two with reusables (not including the washing costs etc) it has been a whole lot cheaper.

(PS I have a giant stash of materials that I won't get through all of, if you'd like me to send you a nappy-sized cut of PUL waterproof fabric and some suedecloth which is a stay-dry fabric that goes next to the skin, PM me and we can arrange!)
Mum to two very active boys, born October 2008 and December 2010. Getting excited about becoming a Childbirth Educator, and LOVIN being a birth support to amazing and courageous women!
cridic1975 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cridic1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2011 at 10:14am
Hi ladies, thanks for your responses. Gives me something to think about.

Thanks mcshort, but I'm still a way off from even TTC so won't scare my husband by bringing home nappy fabric.
Me: 39
DH: 40
MMC: 11/13 (7 weeks)
Chem Preg: 04/14
3rd BFP - 15/5/14
EDD: 25/1/15
 Post Reply Post Reply