FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked2yo - yoghurts and breakfast ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LILLIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LILLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2yo - yoghurts and breakfast ideas
    Posted: 10 January 2012 at 12:51pm
Hi
May be a silly question but at what age can you give a toddler "normal" yoghurts instead of the Toddler ones?

Am struggling with breakfasts for our 2yo - she just doesnt seem interested.

I work full time so need quick and easy breakfast ideas.
I had to resort to a muesli bar and juice this morning

I try toast, she just plays with it, she isnt a big ceral fan either
I am just truly stumped and I know breakfast is such an important start to her day.

Any tips / ideas would be great

Thanks
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 1:03pm
Don't see why you couldn't give normal smooth yoghurt's from 1yo.

Ricies, cornflakes, porridge. Put the yoghurt on the rices to stick it together. Cornflakes or our G/F version are usually eaten dry lol

Bacon if you guys have it for breakfast.

Pancakes or even better the kids love pancake batter in the waffle maker. Good way of getting some egg into them.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 2:19pm
fruit and yoghurt that's our stand bye with a couple of spoonfuls of porridge stirred in.

I soak porridge overnight in apple juice and stir thru yoghurt in the morning makes for a tasty breakfast and easy as its done ahead

[/url]

Angel June 2012
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 8:32pm
I never bothered with Toddler yoghurt, I actually don't see what the point in it is? Since DS could tolerate dairy he's been having normal yoghurt.
We usually have toast or muesli with yoghurt for breakfast, fruit, porridge or pancakes

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 10:20pm
I never saw the point in toddler yoghurt either? And are we talking the proper kids yogurt or the chocolate/caramel/Dora stuff??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2012 at 7:57am
I have the toddler yoghurts I get the yoplait one with a probiotic, its thicker than normal yoghurt and there are no bits and a milder flavour lower in sugar than standard yoghurt.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
LILLIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LILLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2012 at 11:55am
Thanks Ladies
I am talking the Fresh n Fruity My first yoghurts. That is what she has now anyway.

I managed to get her to eat a piece of toast this morning so that was a bonus :) I will give your ideas a go and see what happens, hopefully the pickiness will just be a phase and she will get over it soon :0

She love eggs which should be easy enough, pancakes are a good one, I guess if I make them in advance and heat up that would work. I never thought of doing them in the waffle iron - might give that a go on the weekend :)
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2012 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by caliandjack caliandjack wrote:

I have the toddler yoghurts I get the yoplait one with a probiotic, its thicker than normal yoghurt and there are no bits and a milder flavour lower in sugar than standard yoghurt.

We just started off with natural unsweetened yoghurt, I'm sure the sugar content actually wasn't any different, although this is going back over a year, so could be different. All that toddler as baby specific stuff is just good marketing IMO

chocol8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocol8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2012 at 1:44pm
We've been on the regular yoghurts since 1yo - I refuse to pay toddler yoghurt prices!

What about fruit toast?

We do Uncle Toby's porridge (2 min in the microwave) or cornflakes, with fruit - banana, berries, etc - on top.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2012 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by MamaT MamaT wrote:

Originally posted by caliandjack caliandjack wrote:

We just started off with natural unsweetened yoghurt, I'm sure the sugar content actually wasn't any different, although this is going back over a year, so could be different. All that toddler as baby specific stuff is just good marketing IMO

I tried the eziyo greek yoghurt and didn't like it as much.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
SophieD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SophieD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2012 at 12:02pm
What kind of things do you eat for breakfast? My dd usually eats the same as the others above (yoghurt, ricies, weetbix, toast etc) but generally i find she mostly whatever I have! If I have toast she will eat toast, not her own piece mind you it has to be off my plate! Same goes for if I have porridge, weetbix etc
SophieD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SophieD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2012 at 12:05pm
Oh and after some research in the yoghurt aisle at pak n save I found that yoplait de-lite range has the least amount of sugar (comparable to the toddler ones) in them. It has like half the sugar of the others and can be found for $2.98 on special!
BabyNo2Time View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyNo2Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2012 at 7:42pm
Like the other girls have said DS has been having normal adult yoghurt (fruit stuff) or the kids dairy food yoghurt just after he turned one. I do normally look for the yoghurt that has the heart tick...

Here he normally has oats soaked with boiling water so they go porridgy and mixed in a mashed banana, or weetbix and milk and a piece of toast to follow. Although he seems to be getting sick of this, so might do the yoghurt and cereal instead for a while.
Up the Duff with #2. DS turns 3 in July.

My Ovulation Chart
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2012 at 6:44pm
Does your kid go to daycare? Lots of kids at DD's daycare would have breakfast there, not mine cos she'd always been up for hours by drop off time! But it could be worth chatting to your carer about?
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2012 at 8:52pm
Those who do porridge etc do you feed it to your toddler or do you give them a spoon? My 14 month old used to eat weetbix porridge etc but now he won't have a bar of being fed with a spoon, do I just let him go nuts feeding himself? Hehe he feeds himself with his hands anyway but usually the more messy stuff like yoghurt etc I feed to him. He can sort of use a spoon now. I always end up giving him toast and fruit when he wont have anything else and he always picks at the toast and eats all the fruit lol
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
LILLIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LILLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 1:30pm
DD is at daycare and there are a couple of days where I drop her off and let her eat there. There is always one or two kiddies eating breakfast when we get there.

I have now managed to get her eating toast, yoghurt, fruit or when all else fails - coco pops But it is a start!

She is about to have her tonsils etc out so I am thinking the pureed fruits from the baby section at the supermarket could be a good asset for that time.
Hibiscus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hibiscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 10:58pm
At 22 months, breakfast for my girls is usually one of these:
porridge with fuit puree on top
semolina with fruit puree on top
french toast and fruit
toasted and buttered bread
weetbix with warm milk (and still some baby cereal mixed in )

We never bothered with toddler yoghurt. The only yoghurt I like is thick'n creamy, so this is what my girls are getting too...
Mum to 3 girls: identical twins and with a 3 year gap another girl.
 Post Reply Post Reply