FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSchool Bags

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ToniF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToniF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: School Bags
    Posted: 19 March 2012 at 10:29am
DD is off to school soon & i've been looking to get her a new school bag for her birthday. So many of the school sized bags seem huge, yet i'm not sure the kindy size would be adequate as at moment her kindy bag only just fits a lunch box & change of clothes. We are planning to walk to & from school so need a bag she can carry comfortably but also has to be "pretty" otherwise she won't want a bar of it. Has anyone used a crocodile creek or a penny scallan backpack for an average sized 5yr old & would you recommend either?
Sponsored Links

tigger,roo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigger,roo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2012 at 10:57am
from what i have seen my nephew bring home from school - its mainly a reading folder and lunch box, in summer togs.
My mum has already brought ds a school bag 4 when he starts in aug, its one from the warehouse and its a meduim size.

Angels - March'11, Nov '10, May '10
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2012 at 5:58pm
Those penny scalan ones look cool but I thought they would be way to small for what DD takes to school.
She has lunch box, drink bottle, change of clothes- tights, t-shirt, undies, jumper. Her book bag containing her homework book, library book and at least one small reading book, plus a notebook. Raincoat. Then on the 2 days a week she does swimming, there is also a seperate swimming bag in her school bag that has togs, towel, goggles in it!
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 9:34pm
I was just coming in here to ask about school bags!

DS's daycare bag is quite big as they need 3-4 changes of clothes (well they wanted that when they were TTing and in summer if they have water play) plus jacket, hats, spare socks/undies, a drink bottle and then sometimes a pair of shoes or gumboots end up in there ... so I was thinking a medium sized bag would be better, so its not too much for him to carry around. But reading above maybe they will need quite a big one. No swimming at our school, but I was thinking just the lunchbox, drink bottle, pencil case and a book bag would go in it??!

What sort of bags are "cool" with the kids (or do they not care at that age what others have??) at the mo he has cars/thomas type bags and would probably like a ben 10 one ... but I've been looking at personalised ones with his name on it(and he liked the space ship design) .... is that naff or cool (seems nicer than the ben 10 type ones to me, but I'm not 5!). thanks!
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 9:52pm
The penny scallan ones look cool. Surely that would be big enough?

A also found these

http://www.classykids.co.nz/afawcs0149457/CATID=18/ID=81/SID=357211160/productdetails.html
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
jaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 7:03am
You may not need a pencil case for a few years Nikki - lots of school just have communal stationary.

My girl has a a medium sized bag. She takes - lunch box, drink bottle, reading folder, jersey/coat (one in the bag, one on). In the front pocket is a spare pair of undies, leggings and a t-shirt (long/short sleeved opposit of what she has got on).

This is what she has Bobble art bag

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 7:48am
Yep we dont need pencil cases here either.
Isla just has her dora bag shes had for the last few yrs at daycare too- didnt see the point of buying a new one when that one was still in good condition.
There is another girl with the same bag in her class, most kids seem to have warehouse bags some- ben10/cars/dora etc, some just patterns,..and a few have surf-label bags- ripcurl etc.
ToniF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToniF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 11:59am
Thanks for your comments everyone.
Nikki I really liked the look of the classy kids ones (was just what had been looking for which is funny as i had come across that site but never looked beyond the home page as didn't like the bulky looking bags the kids were wearing in the main picture) have just ordered the paradise one with the butterflies so will see what its like in a couple of days :-)
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 6:48pm
Aww, cool. thanks for the link to the bobble art ones .... I ahve been searching in whitcoulls after seeing some of their other stuff looking for backpacks, and even looked at that site at different bags! I think I will go with their spaceships one as thats very similar to what he picked for the personalised lunchboxes. My daughter (2) would love the red russian dolls products, but she doesn't need one so will have to wait! :)

And thanks re the no pencil cases advice guys. I think they have communal stationery too, as they said not to name the pencils. Don't really like the idea but what can ya do eh.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 7:05pm
this site has some lovely bags too:

http://www.fairyblossom.co.nz/catalogue/5p8/Kids-Backpacks/
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
 Post Reply Post Reply