FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedComing off medication

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coming off medication
    Posted: 09 April 2012 at 9:19pm
I am in the process of weaning myself off citalopram. I have been on antidepressants since Jan 2011 for PND, and I was first on loxamine which was really hard to get off the withdrawals were terrible, so my doctor put me on to citalopram instead and I am now in the process of weaning off that. I feel ready to wean off as I'm not depressed anymore.

I am down to half a tablet a day now and feeling mostly ok, have some head buzzing at times. But the thing I have noticed both times when I've been trying to come off medication is that I rark up really easily, like I will overreact to things or get angry more easily, just have bigger reactions/shorter fuse. And I had a bit of a panic attack over something that wasn't really a big deal. Im also very tired.

Is it normal to feel a bit over the place like this coming off the meds, or do I take it as a sign I'm not ready? I have felt like this coming off both loxamine and citalopram so I'm wondering if its just a withdrawal thing and it will get better?

Any advice/experiences appreciated
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
Sponsored Links

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 9:24pm
I think u might need to slow down- the process can take quite a while- I think the recommendation is at least 2 weeks on the reduced dose will u start to reduce further. I would ring your GP for guidance.
Free2BeMe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Free2BeMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2012 at 7:58am
I agree. Slow it down. I weaned off Citalopram, and from 40mg, it took me about 6 months to go off it completely. You really need to read your moods, and see how you are going, you may simply need to reduce the dosage, rather than go off it completely?

All the best. :)
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2012 at 8:47am
Yep 6 months to wean off sounds right. I know off lots of people who have tried to come off them heaps quicker then ened up back to square 1.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2012 at 9:00pm
I have been on one tablet daily since I've been on citalopram, at first I tried taking it every second day as the doctor suggested, but then noticed the things I have described above. So for the last few days I have tried taking half a tablet a day, that seems to be going a bit better. So perhaps I should stay on the half for a while? My GP had said to do it over about a month. Am going to see my GP for something else so I will talk to her about it too
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2012 at 9:02pm
I am going off it because I don't feel like I need it but also because it is making me put on weight which I know shouldn't be a reason to come off but yeah
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
girly_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girly_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 2:18pm
I came off venlafaxine in January, and that last pill is the worst to come off. My advice to you is to do it super slowly, and stay on the new dose for at least 4wks before you drop again. Headaches, fuzziness are normal signs weaning off. Just make sure your eating properly, drinking plenty of water and getting lots of sleep, because you definitely need it when going through this. Good luck hun x
chontz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chontz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2012 at 7:46pm
i had horrible/severe withdrawals from loxamine and the doctor had to put me on to fluoxetine to get me off it..i had no problems with stopping with the fluoxetine, only took a couple of weeks once i was on that. (cant use it whilst bf though)
When i had to go back on to something after my 2nd bout of PND with my 2nd child, my doctor told me that since i had withdrawals with the loxamine then citalopram would probably be similar (though not as bad) so im back on the loxamine with the view to go on to the fluoxetine when i stop bf.
Would suggest you go back to the doctor and discuss symptoms and options as the withdrawals are nasty!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2012 at 8:20pm
Im feeling pretty good on the half a pill now, have been doing that for a couple of weeks and I feel my body has adjusted. So Im now wondering when I should take the final step and drop the half pill and whether I should just stop or say phase it out by taking it every second day etc?
Me 28, DH 29
#2 due October 7
Free2BeMe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Free2BeMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2012 at 10:19pm
Personally I'd phase it out by taking it every second day.

All the best :)
ProudMum165448 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudMum165448 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2014 at 5:04pm
I have been on Loxamine since 2008/2009 for PND, I was so hesitant to start taking it but my doctor said to give it a go do I did.
Over the last 3 years I have slowly reduced from a tablet a day to 1/2 one day and 1 the next and then to half a day, with no real withdrawals or side effects at all and have remained mainly happy.
Just recently I have been reading up on weaning off and withdrawals etc and have reduced to 1/2 a tablet every second day, I have started having the typical side effects and withdrawals on the non tablet day and then they ease on the day I take 1/2, I get fuzziness, nausea, short temper, up and down moods and I have been worrying more than normal that when I come off completely I will relapse....I am concerned mostly about this because I am now with an amazing partner who supports me 100% and is by my side to get me through this, but I am getting more and more concerned that I could fall apart again at some point and it will effect our relationship. I wonder if it's just the withdrawals and hoping it's just temporary....I am off to see doctor tomorrow so hopefully I will feel better after telling her how I have been feeling and maybe get to the bottom of it!!
All round I am happy with life, I just hope that coming off will make life better as I will no longer have to reply on such an addictive medication!! I'm determined and hope that others can benefit from reading peoples stories like I have :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply