FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedExtreme Nail biting/picking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extreme Nail biting/picking
    Posted: 23 June 2012 at 3:05pm
How can I help my DD 5 1/2 to stop biting/picking her nails? Or at least stop picking them so short til they are bleeding a lot.
Her smallest and second toes on both feet now almost have no visible nail at all. Her big toe nails are picked so short that the skin of the top of the toe sits higher than the nail. I'm worried shes doing permanent damage to the nail beds and/or will get ingrown nails which worse case scenario will need surgery.

TIA
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2012 at 4:52pm
Hmmm no experience with that problem. Have you tried pretty nail polishes? Use them as a bribe perhaps? Or maybe teach her to trim them and file them nicely? I have kind of an opposite problem in that Toby hates me trimming his nails and they are disgusting. But the other week he insisted on trimming his own and said he will do them again next time they get too long.

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2012 at 5:10pm
She loves nail polish, but I havent tried anything as a bribe or anything yet. Just today her second big toe nail on one foot bleed and bleed and there is almost no nail so I feel like I have to do something but dont know what. I would teach her to cut/ file her nails if she had any, lol- there is literally NEVER anything to cut or file
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2012 at 8:33pm
Maybe try that then. tell her when they get to a certain length she can pick a nail polish colour and paint her toenails? Maybe you could put plasters on them for a week or 2 to help her stop the habit as well?

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2012 at 8:44pm
She doesnt cope with plasters well,... she has issues with things being "uncomfortable/itchy" etc,..mostly her clothes, but she will rip a plaster off after an hr.
SpecialK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2012 at 1:16pm
Kellz, my 3 year old has started doing this recently, but on his hands. I think for him it is a stress response, he does it when he is upset, and I have recently had a miscarriage so he's seen me very upset etc and bit his fingernails a lot. Anyway, I told him that if he wanted to bite on something he can have his special toy that he takes to bed to cuddle and bite (he's had since 4 momth old, and uses it like a cuddly/dummy/bitey. Seems to have worked, although he still bites the odd nail.

Also, what about pretty socks/tights so she can't get to her toenails? Socks with toes on them?

HTH!
fallen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2012 at 4:33pm
My 13 year old has been doing it since she was about 3 and her daycare centre was insisting she still went for a sleep. So she'd lie there bored and chomp away. Unfortunately its become a habit that we haven't managed to break yet.

My nearly 3 year old started biting his finger and toe nails earlier this year. It was the same situation, I would put him in his room for a nap/quiet time and he'd be bored and chomp. Since I've stopped putting in his bed for quiet times (he can now watch a DVD in the lounge) hes stopped biting.

So for my kids its a boredom thing.

Post Reply Post Reply