FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWalking to school alone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walking to school alone
    Posted: 12 September 2012 at 9:53am
So the other night DS1 (6yrs) commented that when he turned 7 he would like to walk to school alone. *Sniff* My baby is growing up!

He doesn't turn 7 until next June (and we haven't agreed to him wlaking to school alone then yet) so we have plenty of time and I was thinking about what I would expect of him before allowing him to walk to school alone.

We live close to the school (approx 500m) though there is a bend in the road so I couldn't stand at the gate and watch him all way. He has to cross 2 roads however both have road patrols on them. He's a pretty sensible kid and he usually checks for cars at driveways.

What else should we be doing to prepare him for walking to school alone?

Edited by mummydee - 12 September 2012 at 9:58am
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
Sponsored Links

NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2012 at 1:03pm
are there any other children he can walk with? maybe walk halfway with him?

they grow up too fast

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2012 at 1:16pm
Does you school have a walking school bus? My kids go on our one & it is such piece of mind.

EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2012 at 3:52pm
I've just realised that DD1 will have started school by then *shakes head in denial* so DH or I would be walking with her anyway. I might suggest that he walks ahead (or behind) us if he wants to walk alone and that way he'll still be within sight

Jazzy - no I don't think there is one. That sounds like a great idea though!
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
 Post Reply Post Reply