FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWHERE to change nappies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wireni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wireni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHERE to change nappies
    Posted: 16 September 2012 at 11:27am
I understand that it is useful when using cloth nappies to have a dedicated changing station where you can store everything. I am thinking about where to place it.

It seems logic to do it in the bathroom, near to the toilet and water. The room is small but I could build a table above the bathtub, we always use the shower anyway. Problem is the bathroom is humid and cold. I could store the nappies in an over the door storage thingy on the outside of the door so they don’t get moist. We have a fan heater and a towel heater in there, but I don’t think either is suitable to heat the room all the time. I am thinking of a heat lamp above the table, but not sure, wouldn’t that be like sitting at a fire (front is warm but back is cold)? Or just leave the door open all the time for exchange with the warm air in the living room?

Doing it in the living room is another option, there is the wood stove and the heat pump. But it is one room with the open kitchen and the dining area, and maybe we don’t want nappies around there all the time.

There is also something to say for the bedroom, for changes at night, and because we will store the baby clothes there, too. But then we would be walking to and from the bathroom all the time for moistening cloth wipes, flushing liners, washing hands.

I am pregnant for the first time and also new to New Zealand housing, so would be glad to hear how experienced parents solve this.
Sponsored Links

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2012 at 11:55am
Think about where u are going to spend the most time- For the last baby ( now 2.5 year and for this one, we have a change table that has pockets and compartments and shelves. I store all the cloth nappies on that as well as clothes and everything I will need for changing baby. When putting the washing away I would always make sure there were a change or 2 on there too.
The change table then lives against the far wall of the lounge- its open plan with the living room that is through an open door to the kitchen. Next to it is the chair I use for feeding baby. I went our there into the lounge to feed/ change baby at night so didnt disturb DH too much ( he nearly lost his job through sleep deprivation with #1).

With #1 the change table and clothes etc were all the babies room which worked fine,...but with #2 it was far more practical to have the changing stuff all in the lounge where we all spend the most time- you change baby like 12 times a day at the beginning- so made sense to have it in the lounge where the toddler would be most of the time too.

We always dressed baby after his/her bath on the floor of the bathroom on towels where the were warm from the heat of the bath and the heated light in the bathroom.

I still only use cloth wipes, so have a container by the sink in the laundry that I fill with water each time.

the used flannels and cloth nappy go straight in a bucket in the laundry too.

Hope some of that helps.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2012 at 10:04am
I just store it all in my linen closest which just happens to be handy to the lounge & bathroom. Its basically in the middle of the house. They're on the top shelf so nice & warm up there too
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
shellgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2012 at 7:42pm
I use a couple of fabric boxes to store all our nappy changing gear in our lounge.  That is where I have changed both my babies (especially through the winter).  Until they are mobile I also leave them kicking with nappy off after almost every nappy change so I've always done it on the floors so there is no risk of falling.  

For my cloth wipes I usually just wet them with warm water when I need to use them for a pooey nappy.  When the boys were newborns and every nappy was pooey (and often needed changing ten minutes after the previous change!!) I did keep two or three wet cloths in a container nearby where I change them.  Nowadays it is only one or two a day that are needed so I just wet when required.

Once changed, I then dry pail everything straight into the nappy bucket in the laundry (after flushing any contents).  If the nappy needs an extra rinse before going in the bucket I do this in the laundry tub.  

ereynolds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ereynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2012 at 7:45am
We keep all our nappies in a small bedside cabinet in the lounge- everything is all together and close to the bathroom. With number 2 due in Jan, I expect we will have some also by the baby's cot too. I always think its wherever you spend the most time. We have found that having 2 pails for nappies is really handy too.
We keep our cloth wipes in a plastic click container and keep them wet with water.

wireni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wireni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2012 at 12:14pm
Thank you all for your answers. Sounds like the idea to do it in the living room makes more sense than in the bathroom.

The floor is not good for my husband, he has back problems. So I think in our case it makes sense to buy a changing table. Although we do have some surfaces that would be suitable, but I like that you can store everything in them, too, and in combination with the fact that most of them have wheels, we are flexible in case we have visitors or I want to spend my days in bed.

I have also thought about two pails, and it's good to see that idea confirmed. And that with the cloth wipes it is not that a big deal.

Edited by wireni - 18 September 2012 at 12:16pm
lisame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2012 at 10:34am
We always had change stuff in the bedroom - ours, when baby was tiny and sleeping in our room, and then in her bedroom. We don't have an actual change table though; we just have a change pad, which is easy to move around if you want to.
We have a small bowl of water in the bedroom, along with cloths, nappies, cream, etc and the nappy bucket (dry). We have two sets of drawers, and the change pad is on top of one, and all the changing gear is on top of the other. I like to be able to just reach for whatever I need from on top of the drawers, rather than having it all put away. We now have all the nappies stacked in a big open bag, but back at the start we just had a stack of them on top of the drawers (I now have many more nappies and they are much bigger!)

It does mean that sometimes you're using cold water, but it never seemed to bother her, and wet wipes aren't warm anyway so I didn't see the big deal... unless it was really cold.

If we are doing changes elsewhere, it's no drama to grab a couple of cloths from the bedroom first & dampen them, then roll up with the nappy and either chuck in a plastic bag for the meantime if I can't be bothered going back to the bedroom, or just dump them straight in the machine if I'm about to do a wash. the idea of having a 2nd bucket never occurred to me, but it might be useful to have one in the laundry too come to think of it, for the nappies that don't make it back to the bedroom...

We have a couple of those silly billyz waterproof fleece mats that we use for floor time, including nappy changes, wherever we happen to be (including out of the house).

Oh, and to start with we had an icecream container that nappy liners went in for middle of the night changes when I couldn't be bothered going to the loo, but we were lucky in that from a few weeks old she used to have a virtually once-a-week poo, and now she's older, it's always at the same time in the morning so easy to 'plan' for.
 Post Reply Post Reply