FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPreparing for the arrival of twins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sarah_D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preparing for the arrival of twins
    Posted: 17 December 2012 at 9:51am
What sort of things did you all pack in your hospital/birthing bags.. for yourself and for the babies?

Or what things do you wish you packed?
Sponsored Links

Kels152 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels152 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2012 at 11:47am
Hi Sarah, we packed some clothes but ended up having to go and get more the first day. Our twins were born at 37weeks and weighed 6lbs, but ony fit prem clothes and we didnt have enough packed. Also cloths and bibs - you need tons. Our girls are very spilly so the clothes,bibs and cloths we go through is just crazy - we had to go out and buy more of those things so I would say thats what we wished we knew to pack more of. For me I found I packed way too much clothing - I was only there for two days and wore the same thing the whole time until I left the hospital so thats something to think about - but all depends when they are born and how you and they are - you could be in for longer so I guess it pays to be prepared :)
Hibiscus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hibiscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2013 at 2:24am
For yourself: bring lots of old dark underwear (not twin specific, but I was bleeding lots for quite a while afterwards) and lots of maternity pads.

For the babies: we used everything from the hospital until the day we left, so just needed an outfit per child and blankies and car seats. I would agree that you'll need lots and lots of spill cloths and bum cloths ( if you don't want to use disposable ones). We had to go back twice to buy more of both types.

I found communicating with the outside world a bit tricky while I was on the postnatal ward and then rooming in at SCBU for 10 days. So if you have a smart phone or ipad that you can use to connect to the world... but you'll also be very busy expressing etc. and getting very little sleep, so won't be able to think too much of the outside world. At times I found it hard to find the time to have a shower inbetween all the expressing and trying to catch up on sleep.

Bring clothes that are comfy but not necessarily only PJ's as you might be able to walk around like a normal person amongst all hospital staff if your babies are still in SCBU and you are well but not yet discharged or rooming in.

I had a giant very wide and very long soft scarf (knitted viscose/cotton) and it was the best thing ever as I could use it to cover up when otherwise quite exposed in breastfeeding situations as with huge boobs full of milk in the early days and nurses trying to help you latching on two babies, nursing tops that just have a small opening didn't really work, I basically sat there topless a lot of the time.
Mum to 3 girls: identical twins and with a 3 year gap another girl.
 Post Reply Post Reply