FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBanned Foods..what is normal and what is OTT?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sunshine133695 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunshine133695 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banned Foods..what is normal and what is OTT?
    Posted: 23 November 2013 at 1:03pm
Hi all

I'm new to pregnancy & all this food information is driving me crazy!!

I have just eaten hummus (store bought & opened last night).
I had some last night, refrigerated it straight away and had some just now.
I googled it and apparently it's on the "no" list because of the Tahini.

Does anyone else who's pregnant eat hummus? It feels to me like these rules are a bit OTT.

I want to be careful but I don't want to stop living!!!

I look forward to hearing from others....
Sponsored Links

Spitfire19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spitfire19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2013 at 1:16pm
I think if you can understand why some foods are "no" foods it will help you to make your choices as to what you will and will not eat. For example, salad that is not fresh and washed has an increased risk of Listeria, which may not necessarily make the average person ill, but for a pregnant women and her baby this could mean a very realy chance of death.

Of course, a lot of these "no" foods are to protect yiu and your baby, but at the end of the day, if you understand the risks associated with eating them, than it is your choice to eat or not eat.

(and with a quick Google, it appears that with tahini it is the increased risk of contracting listeria, so do your own research and figure out what is right for you )

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunshine133695 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2013 at 1:20pm
Thanks Spitfire.

Yep, I understand the why. I have done the research.

It is more I was wondering whether everyone really does follow ALL the rules. I also find there is a lot of conflicting info.

I completely understand it's a personal choice but I really just wanted to gauge what others did/have done. Now I'm worried that I ate the hummus. I feel like I'll stress myself out with worry when I accidentally eat something on the no list & surely that's just as bad?
animaxnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote animaxnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2013 at 5:37pm
The thing is... it is only 9 months that you need to change your diet for. If in the worst case scenario something went wrong and damage was done to the baby, is that something you could live with for the sake of some hummus?

animaxnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote animaxnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2013 at 5:38pm
You would have been sick by now if there had been something wrong with the hummus too so you will be fine. Food poisoning kicks in pretty quickly. Last pregnancy and this one I crave sushi and soft serve frozen yogurt but I follow the guidelines, just because its only a short amount of time to have a healthy pregnancy and baby.

Edited by animaxnz - 23 November 2013 at 5:39pm

Jessaroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessaroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2013 at 5:39pm
agree with animaxnz ^^^
Stoked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stoked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2013 at 6:23pm
I lived overseas during my pregnancy and the guidelines I were given were quite different. :-). Re hummus, it's easy to make your own with chickpeas (from a can) and lemon juice - just blend it all up in a blender. Heating things to piping hot can make all the difference. I ate soft cheeses on pizzas and in panini's and mum cooked a fresh ham on Xmas Day so I could eat that too. The biggest no-no I was told was raw/undercooked egg and undercooked meats.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunshine133695 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2013 at 8:33am
Thanks guys

Animaxnz, of course it's not something I could live with for the sake of a bit of hummus. I've been trying for 1 year and 7 months. I'm 36 years old, the last thing I want is to miscarry or harm my baby.

I was just enquiring what others do/have done.
I had already eaten the hummus, and was surprised when it appeared on the no list but, I probably won't eat it again.

Thanks for your feedback.

I think from here, as Spitfire said I will continue to do my own research, although there is so much conflicting information that I think I'm going to go with my own common sense.

tan73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2013 at 2:31pm
Sunshine - I did exactly the same thing with the hummus, thinking I was a having a good, healthy preggy snack! Oops! I do avoid hummus now but I have a good, realistic midwife and I check in with her if I am unsure. For instance, she says ham in a vacuum pack is fine as long as you eat on opening, Camembert and brie are fine if NZ made as they are made with pasteurised milk. Some people eat sushi but ask to have it freshly made while they wait. I think you are right, at the end of the day, it is about using your common sense and being thoughtful about storage of food etc. Congratulations on your pregnancy too! From a first-time 40 year old Mum!

2 Angels - Aug '12 & Mar '13 Always in our hearts.
binklemouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binklemouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2013 at 5:14pm
My GP's advice was simply 'don't eat food from a deli or that has been sitting around a while'.
He said very few cheeses in NZ are made from unpasteurised milk so fine when eaten fresh.
I will have fun with DH. It drove him mental when his sister in law said she wouldn't eat this and wouldn't eat that. I tried to explain to him that if you're told something by an 'expert' it's hard not to take it on board.
Maybe it's lucky for me I am vegetarian so don't eat meats of any kind anyway!

<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunshine133695 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2013 at 7:00pm
Thanks for the congrats on my pregnancy. It's exciting but scary too.
I agree about food storage etc and have been washing lettuce etc before I refrigerate it too.
I guess the key is to not worry too much, adhere to good food hygiene and avoid the really big no no's like blue cheese and deli foods etc. Thanks everyone.
P.s hopefully by tomorrow I'll have a midwife to help with advice like u do :)
Pitter patter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pitter patter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2013 at 8:08pm
Sunshine massive congrats! Hope you have a midwife by tomorrow. How many weeks are you? This is a good question and one all pregnant women grapple with. I agree with the others, research and independent decision making great plan. First pregnancy I was super careful and stuck exactly to the list, second pregnancy super relaxed then we lost that one, so this pregnancy I'm fairly careful but make some of my own decisions. One thing to add, I didn't realise for a long time that some bacteria such as Listeria can cause no symptoms in the mother but can cause miscarriage. Just something to keep in mind

Edited by Pitter patter - 24 November 2013 at 8:09pm

TTC number 2 since April 2011
MC Nov 12
Formally Mamma2one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunshine133695 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2013 at 7:48am
Thanks Pitter patter and sorry for the loss of your second pregnancy and ..... congrats on your current pregnancy.
how far along are you?

I'm honestly not sure how many weeks I am, I think about 5?
I guess when I get midwife they'll be able to help with that.
From what I can gather I'm due around 24th July? I had a very irregular cycle before I got pregnant & I ovulate really late in the cycle (last period started 11/10).

I read about Listeria having no symptoms - that's pretty scary too!

I must say that because a lot of friends have miscarried I am pretty careful but it's always good to talk to others about what they've done.

Probably the worst thing I'm doing is having half a cup of coffee in the morning but I used to be a three cup a day girl. As far as washing veges etc - I'm pretty thorough!

I have a midwife calling me today - cross fingers she's the one!

Post Reply Post Reply