FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedrug doctor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rug doctor?
    Posted: 05 December 2006 at 2:53pm
Anyone ever tried it? our carpet is appalling and am spot cleaning with that Friend Oxyaction (incidently, brilliant!!!), but now we have light patches. So thought might shell out and get the whole bit done.

okay to use? effective?
Sponsored Links

MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 2:55pm
hmmm never used it before.
Ive always wanted to try it, so Id love to hear what others think about it
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 2:58pm
Hrmmmmm.... used it after a party a few months ago.

It seemed to pull up a heap of crap from the carpet (as in the water got VERY black) but didn't lift everything from the carpet.

Relatively inexpensive compared to getting a carpet cleaner in... so might be worth a go.

P.S. Burnt the carpet with an iron the other day. I had no idea it happened that fast! We now have a slightly yellow patch on our lounge floor. Oops.
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 3:18pm
Yes we have used it and it is great. We are getting another one in to use after xmas to clean the carpets before the baby comes. Very easy to use and if you have the shampoo left over you can use it on little spots - we have done this a few times. You need to stay off the carpet for a few hours to let it dry but after that its all good.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 3:56pm
I agree, its pretty good.
We used it when we were vacating a flat and it got out almost all the stains on the carpet except for a spirulina one.

Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 4:28pm
We have the stain remover and its awesome!
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 5:15pm
yeah ive used it and found it really good. bit scary how dirty the water gets! Its a bit of a mission using them though because you have to empty and fill the water alot cos it doesnt hold that much.
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 9:02pm
awesome. thanks ladies! I'm planning to borrow it next wednesday and Lewis can take the kids somewhere for the morning - then when they come home it will be naptime. woohoo!
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2006 at 2:32pm
I was wondering the same thing Liz...thanks!!

Atish has an uncle who has a C/C company, and he did the last clean for free (moving in to new house before bub!)

But now my carpet looks soooooo bad....Zaara's food stains every where.......but was thinking of hiring the rug Doctor...if I call his Uncle he might not charge us again!!...wait thats a good thing!!

Anyway I might wait untill we get the warm weather!

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2006 at 4:36pm
Am doing it on Wednesday, before the fussy in laws get here. Banana is such a bitch to get out! That friend stain remover has been fantastic - but the fumes are a little...woah!
Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 1:29pm
Be careful with that company as if you are a tenant apparently the cleaning with such a machine is not viewed as "commercially cleaning" as is a requirement in many tenancy agreements ...just a word of warning from someone who is both a landlord and has seen way back - DH dealt to when using it and commented on from the tribunal at end of the day!!!
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2006 at 4:01pm
Fair enough Bombshell.
We didn't tell the property manger that we'd used the rug doctor and not a commercial agency, and she commented on what a great job they'd done, so it was all sweet, but I do agree with your comment. It makes sense to find out first so you don't get stung.
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

rug_nz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rug_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2006 at 4:24pm
You call

A mate of mine used 1 alot on there old 50's red carpet, would bring the dirt out and fur real good, black black water.
Made the carpet look new.
They have 2 boys 2 dogs and a cat.
Look out! It's a man.
SAHD

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2006 at 4:31pm
Used it yesterday and it did a great job. initially i was disappointed as it didn't get everything out - but then Lewis pointed out that the carpet was put it about 15 years ago....so not problem! I would suggest a bit of spot stain removing first.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2006 at 5:33pm
I'm gonna hire one while I'm on my xmas leave to clean our carpets. It was something we would have done before we moved in here but they didn't move out when they were supposed to .. they had a dog with long hair and the carpet smells a little strange so hoping the rug doctor might be able to sort a bit of it out
yalanna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yalanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2006 at 12:39pm
My DH hired one last year out of the blue as he accidentally trod doggie doos all through the house and had no idea where it came from. I came home to spotless carpets wondering what on earth had been going on.

The only stain it didnt get out was rust but according to the commercial guys it is next to impossible to get out anyway.
kiwigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2006 at 3:57pm
It is brilliant and inexpensive.We are planning on using it again as we have got marks that have not come out using carpet cleaner and it really needs a good clean.
Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by nikkiwhyte nikkiwhyte wrote:

P.S. Burnt the carpet with an iron the other day. I had no idea it happened that fast! We now have a slightly yellow patch on our lounge floor. Oops.

Nikki, we burnt a carpet years ago, I say we, Neil was trying to get candle wax off the carpet using newspaper and a hot iron (I think I told him warm iron and kitchen towel)and he ended up melting the carpet. When we came to move out we needed to get the bond back so he sanded the melted bit/burnt bit off with a sander and it just looked like wear and tear. Don't know if it's worth a try, we got the bond back anyway
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 7:29pm
We rug doctoered on boxing day, and it rocked its arse off. We used rembrant stain remover first on the stubborn banana stains, looks like new now! who knew banana was such a be arch to carpets!
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Redbedrock Redbedrock wrote:

Originally posted by nikkiwhyte nikkiwhyte wrote:

Nikki, we burnt a carpet years ago, I say we, Neil was trying to get candle wax off the carpet using newspaper and a hot iron (I think I told him warm iron and kitchen towel)and he ended up melting the carpet. When we came to move out we needed to get the bond back so he sanded the melted bit/burnt bit off with a sander and it just looked like wear and tear. Don't know if it's worth a try, we got the bond back anyway

Thanks for the tip! It's not melted... so I don't exactly know if the sanding would help. But worth a try before we move anyway! I'm just hoping she won't notice... that and maybe the red wine stains by the dining table might deflect her attention.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>