FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMoney Saving Ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2007 at 7:22pm
There are loads of ideas on www.simplesavings.co.nz You can join but there are good ideas in the free bits including the free newsletter.
Sponsored Links

shelleybean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelleybean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 10:43pm
There are some neat idea's on that website

fivefoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fivefoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2008 at 12:03pm
* How much do you pay for your phone and internet??
If you were like us we just had the usual company and then slapped on internet at the time - BUT with a little research (took about 1/2 hour) i looked at all the other company's websites and there are some great packages out there. Its made a big difference to our bills!

* I menu plan for the week and then match the shopping list to that.

* Recycle wrapping paper and ribbons! when birthdays come round if you can, save the paper and ribbons for when you next need to wrap a gift.

* How often do you really use you mobile? - switch to prepay - its saved me heaps!

* Buy fruit and veges that are in season - they are cheaper

Bayley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 12:54am
We pay everything by credit card (which has a $500 limit) and pay it off each payday. We each get $20 per week 'pocket money' and it seems to work for us. Although we are hopeless at budgeting for food shopping - we spend waaaay too much on this each week.
Mookey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mookey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2008 at 5:37pm
Ok, I haven't read the whole thread, so don't know if these have been done already, but here are my money saving tips:

- Instead of buying wipes, we just bought a few packs of soft cloths from T&T, filled the one and only wipes container that I bought with water, put cloths in, and just squeeze out when I want to use one. I also have different coloured ones for wiping the face.

- Use cloth naps at home and sposies when out or overnight if necessary.

- For food, we just cook up extra veges when we are making our dinner, and then put it in the magic bullet to puree it, then freeze in cubes/ice cube trays, and then microwave the required amount at feed time. Now that Oliver is 6 months old, I think he'd like a little extra flavour, so buy the watties tins/jars and mix a couple of spoons of it with a couple of cubes of what I've made. This makes the shop bought stuff go further!

- We try to have a couple of meat free dinners a week. Means having to buy less meat each week. And I'm pretty sure meat is cheaper if you go to your local butcher than buy it at the supermarket. Same with fruit & vege. Just means visiting three places, so need to weigh up time vs money.

- Make a list when going to the supermarket and stick to it (we try but usually fail miserably thanks to DH)!

- If you cook more dinner than you need, don't go back for seconds. Put it in the fridge for lunch/dinner the next day.

- Home baking is cheaper and nicer than packet bought biscuits/cakes.

That's all I can think of right now.
       CUSHYTUSH.CO.NZ
Our_Lexis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Our_Lexis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 4:27pm
Loads of cool tips on here, sori I cant add anything fresh to the thread but have a few ideas I will be trying out thanks!!
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 10:58pm
Mookey if you leave the wipes in water for a while do they start to smell like when you leave washing in the machine? Or is it ok so long as they're covered in water?

Mookey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mookey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 8:21am
No, they don't seem to. Mine don't get a chance to smell though. I have about 20 cloths, but only put about 10 at a time in the container, and they get used in a couple of days, then I change the water and put the next lot of 10 cloths in, and so on. I think as long as they are submerged in the water, they don't go smelly.
       CUSHYTUSH.CO.NZ
chonni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2008 at 9:06pm
this is what i do in my home.
i go to pak n save i the morning when they have meat sales and i buy a $20 paket of mince or chicken and they are huge and then i separate the meat when i get home into frezzer bags and that makes me about 5 or 6 meals its great!!
chonni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2008 at 9:07pm
oh and then you putthem in the frezzer lol
JD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2008 at 9:30pm
I use the cloth wipes in water also. I was told to put a few drops of tea tree oil in it also. This is supposed to be antibacterial and also keeps the wipes smelling fresh
SarahP08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SarahP08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2008 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I use the cloth wipes in water also. I was told to put a few drops of tea tree oil in it also. This is supposed to be antibacterial and also keeps the wipes smelling fresh

What JD said!

I also go to the Mad Butcher and buy a kilo of whatever is on special that week, take it home, divide it up and freeze it. I usually spend $10 a week on meat and have a couple of meat free nights too. 2 cups of lentils (enough for 6-8 portions) costs around $2 (from a bulk foods store NOT the supermarket).

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2008 at 7:14pm
i watched the Money Man the other night and he recommended keeping your razors in olive oil - prolongs the life by up to 3 months!!! am trying today!
luxjules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luxjules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2008 at 3:09pm
what a great topic to start - thanks i have only just found it

i find buying things on trade me fantastic, the best thing i find is to do a search for items you need i.e huggies nappies then save it and you get emailed the items daily so you can always get a bargain
i always start looking for items i need soon, rather than now and that works out cheaper waiting for the bargains
i also brought items like muslin cloths and bibs bulk so that was cheaper than buying in store

shelleybean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelleybean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2008 at 9:08pm
The Money Man , has some great tips. I also heard that using a tablespoon of washing powder is all you need per wash rather than the full scoop.

I made some Chicken/Vege Soup in the crock pot the other day and it was so cheap and easy. A whole crock pot - did us 3 meals each - so I have frozen them :)

butefulbaby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote butefulbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 2:55pm
I have just come back from both baby city and baby factory in Porirua and they have both got AMAZING CLOTHING SALES.   I just bought my girl heaps of things for summer for 2,3 and 4 dollars. Shorts, tops, socks and all in ones. They are all gorgeous things and I am very happy with purchases! You couldn't buy cheaper on trade me.
Spirals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spirals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 2:59pm
Has anyone heard of Cherry Tree Consumer Club?

I've been a member for 2 years, and it sbeen fantastic. Yes, there is an initial outlay for the membership fee, but you quickly make it back in the savings you get.
Basically, it's a consumer club where the owners have negotiated discounts with retailers and you end up paying less than retail for everything you buy through the club.

With our first baby on the way, and planning at least another one after this, we will definately be shopping there for our cot, buggy and heaps of other baby essentials.
Spirals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spirals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 3:34pm
Also - someone suggested that I pop a tin of formula or a pack of nappies into my wekly shopping - once the baby comes and money is tighter, we hopefully won't have to buy them for months.

I'll def be doing it with the nappies, but not so sure on the formula, because if bubs doesn't get on with one type, we'll need to change it and I don't want to be stocked up with formula we'll never use. (I'll be buying the nappies from Cherry Tree though as they're cheaper there)
xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2008 at 1:11pm
What a great thread!

I am going to look into cloth nappies and will definitly use wash clothes as wipes this time! Also will look into washable breast pads too as spent a fortune on those last time round.

I am a budget queen in our house - I do a weekly meal plan and shopping list and usually go under not over (usually haha) and I try and throw in extra's like maternity pads, nappies, and even tinned foods to keep a constant stockpile!

Love a good bargain too - who doesn't??
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2008 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by alyxw alyxw wrote:

I am going to look into cloth nappies and will definitly use wash clothes as wipes this time! Also will look into washable breast pads too as spent a fortune on those last time round.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but if you know anyone who can sew (even with basic sewing machine skills) it is heaps cheaper to get the DIY pocket nappy kits from Greenbeans.co.nz, costs about $20 to $25 to make 3 to 4 nappies! They are soooo easy to make once you've made the 1st one! They have the breast pads too, not sure how they compare in price though to other brands.

I only use half a scoop or less of washing powder now too, still works just as well and lasts more than twice as long.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>