FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMoney Saving Ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2008 at 3:22pm
How much of a sewer to you have to be? I have a sewing machine but am a bit of a novice. DH is better than me, maybe I can get him to make them for me.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Sponsored Links

Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2008 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Spirals Spirals wrote:

Also - someone suggested that I pop a tin of formula or a pack of nappies into my wekly shopping - once the baby comes and money is tighter, we hopefully won't have to buy them for months.

I am also doing that, getting nappies when they are on special from the supermarke, once bub is born I will go to Nappies 4 Less for cheaper nappies, I cant stand reusable nappies.
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2008 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by fleury fleury wrote:

How much of a sewer to you have to be? I have a sewing machine but am a bit of a novice. DH is better than me, maybe I can get him to make them for me.

Hmmm, the first one I found kinda hard and confusing but they are sooooo easy after that
xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2008 at 11:57am
Heya Chickoin - I love that idea and I mentioned it to my Mum who is the sewer in the family and she is going to help me get started!! Went for a lil browse this weekend at a fabric shop but no sign of any PUL - is there any one stop shop for nappy making materials or is online the best bet?

Anyway now Im really looking forward to making some!
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 7:40am
You can't find PUL in shops, Greenbeans is definatly the easiest and cheapest option I have found. You get everything you need (except cotton) and there are links on the website to patterns.
HAVE FUN
Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2008 at 7:11pm
Going back on my word above I have to go onto washables, luckly I am having a change of heart and obsessed with nappies at the moment. Hopefully we will save lots of money next year.
MrsH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 9:25pm
It's been a while since the last post but if anyone's interested....

We got a 25c/ltr off petrol coupon from PaknSave last weekend. DH and I took both cars down and filled up at the same time (just don't hang up the pump and do it when the attendant isn't there i.e. after 8pm) and we saved $14.00!! and we were only half empty each.

Now don't go creating a false economy by buying more groceries just to get the cheap petrol but keep an eye out when they're happening and chose that time to stock up on essentials in order to get the coupon. Sometimes you get it when you spend over $150.

Just my two cents worth.....
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 10:23pm
generally every weekend is a good time to get groceries for petrol vouchers

also on sundays, woolworths half price their meat.
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 6:53pm
Ok, so DH and I are REALLY cracking down on savings.

-I got 40 baby face cloths of Trademe to use as baby bum wipes. I keep an icecream container with water and a drop of tea tree oil in it and just put about 4 cloths in and replace them as needed.
I have one of those little containers you get wipes in so I just put a few wet cloths in there when we go out.

-We do fortnightly grocery shopping intead of weekly and have found it costs only a smidgen more for 2 weeks rather than 1! So our grocery bill is nearly halved!

-I use those johnsons liners in my cloth nappies and cut them in half (lenth-ways) so a box lasts twice as long.

-I only use less than half a scoop of washing powder, and if our washing powder is on special for less than $2 we stock up big time.

-I take a bottle of water with me everywhere so I don't buy drinks

-All of DH's wage now goes into an account that the bills come out of. We use cash from Trademe sales and when we get desperate we can get money out of the bill account, but we have to go into the bank to access it, we can't get it from the eftpos card.

-We haven't bought Jody any clothes, she was given enough when she was born and at xmas to last quite a while.

Edited by Chickoin
Katep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 8:30pm
We use to do big fortnighly shops, which I'm sure work for most. But I am so sick of throwing away veges and fruit that don't quite make it.
so, now it's more like weekly shops. We are starting to make a we bit extra for dinner and then freezing leftovers as we never ate them the next day.
No more buying choc biscuits...it's all baking now. Cost a bit to get nice things like cooking choc and berries etc, but it will last ages.
We are putting in ALL our change into a jar to get grocery topups - instead of using the eftpos for small transactions.
Buy things like our brand of toothpaste/washing poder and soap when on special.
Only ever buy yoghurt on special- often it is close to half price.

I never use petrol vouchers...the only save like 40c in my car...so I don't go out of my way to certain supermarkets/petrol stations. just don't see they are worth it for me.

Great ideas here!!!

Mum to the Gorgeous Leah!
              7 months
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 12:03pm
Kate, could you still do your fortnightly shop & every second week or weekly buy your veges at a vege market?
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Niecey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niecey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2009 at 12:16am

Since using cloth diapers, I'm now starting to see where all the money is being saved! I felt bad about using water (somewhat hot) to soak and wash them in so I decided to cut my shower time (which had been my ongoing luxury that I said I couldn't cut) by doing my sudsing, shampooing etc. without the water running. I feel that's my break even.

With groceries I just stock up --mad style! I hoard things and my hubby makes fun of me for it but I know we save money that way. The one thing with me is clothes...I shop too much in that dept but at least I buy used! I'm part greenie, part penny pincher.

I almost feel bad cuz I've bought most of my boys clothes used and I see all the other parents putting their kids in nice new clothes but I feel it'll be my contribution towards a greener earth b/c his clothes don't look that used! He'll be out of those in no time and I doubt he'll get any really ''good use out of most of them''. Thank heaven for Trade me cuz that's saved me heaps.

Denise

nztui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nztui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 9:53am
Great ideas on here
Never realized how excited I'd get over cutting our costs down lol. Best saving for me is definately menu planning - saves HEAPS! If I buy something like bacon, I try and think of 3 meals to use it in (eg. bacon and eggs, macoroni cheese next night, then if any left bacon sarnie for lunch - YUM!)

Making up extra white sauce when doing a lasagne and freeze it, then if you end up with a small amount of leftover veges or meal I can get that out and add it to some pasta for a quick cheap meal.
My favourite idea, (although it probably saves next to nothing!) is to buy a large jar of tomato paste and freeze it into icecubes then put into a container so I can just grab a frozen cube of it when a recipe calls for say 1tablespoon. I used to keep it in the fridge but would never get through it before it was past it's best so freezing it means less waste, yay!

I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard you can freeze leftover fresh herbs in a little water too - eg so if you buy coriander and don't use all of it, cut up the leftover bits and put in icecube with a little water to cover, then later just add to a curry or something

Tempted to try online shopping...
Hunnybunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2009 at 1:26pm
Found this thread handy so thought I'd add to it.

When baking, I'll make heeaaps of different muffins/biscuits for at least a week (where possible) DF takes them in his lunch. Saves heaps.
While I've got the oven hot, I'll do a loaf of bread, and make toasties. DF takes these in his lunch and enjoys them also! I always make sure I do different ones so he doesn't get sick of them. Corn, tomato, i'll do some meat ones (ham etc) and I'll try and buy BIG jars of tomato relish when its on special and use that as a base.
Also we buy cheese when its on a really good special, and freeze it.

On monday mornings meat from the weekend is reduced at supermarkets, I try and go buy up large.
Sometimes, milk will be put out "reduced to clear", often flavoured milks etc. I'll buy these (often its the boxes you wouldn't usually buy) and freeze them- it works fine.
Only buy home brand/budget/ dairy dale milk. Can be a WHOLE lot cheaper, and its still milk. Theres not really any difference.
Flutterby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flutterby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2009 at 3:30pm
Loving the tips ladies. I only buy the very basic of groceries these days and it still costs a bit of us as we only have New World as our closest supermarket and it is expensive, and we don't have any vege shops. So when we go up to visit family in Auckland we always buy a heap of fruit and vege as it is so much cheaper at the vege shops. Also DP is a hunter so keeps himself supplied with meat.

I have also been doing baking each week instead of buying choc biscuits e.t.c

Was wondering if it is better to make bread rather then buying it? We go through about 3 loaves a week of brought bread.

I have been wanting to use cloth wipes but am worried that the poo will go through them and on to my hands.
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2009 at 12:17am
My hands are poo-free I use tiny baby face cloths. I just fold it in half once, or twice for large amounts of poop. I find bought wipes scarier to use now, they seem so thin!
I also wonder if it does work out cheaper to make or buy bread. Over here I can't find the equivilent to a Binn Inn, so flour is stupidly expensive

Edited by Chickoin
Georgiegirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georgiegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2009 at 8:57am
We started letting people know that we are keen to try and do as much as possible second hand, for our Twinkle.... infact we have kinda made it into a game.... it also make people less embarrased offering your second hand things....

I have to say we have received a couple of things that went straight in the bin... But.... most of the things given has been lovely!

TTC#2
8th round of clomid 100mg
1 failed IUI.
Waiting for IVF now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georgiegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2009 at 1:43pm
A friend of mine gave me a great idea.... instead of buying those expensive baby wipes (that are also filled with chemicals that I can't spell or pronounce) She uses Chux cloths with warm water.... it is far more pleasant for baby... those baby wipes must be pretty cold on a little bottom.   But it is also far cheaper.

TTC#2
1 failed IUI.
Waiting for IVF now.
luxjules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luxjules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2009 at 3:21pm
I use muslin clothes with aqueous cream as my daughter use to get nappy rash quite a bit, its brilliant and every time i take her to the doc i get a few tubs to keep us going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georgiegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2009 at 4:36pm
Thats a great idea Luxjules.... I have just bought a whole lot of muslins to make some wraps... I could make a pile of little face clothe sized ones.... Thanks for the tip!

TTC#2
1 failed IUI.
Waiting for IVF now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>