FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBonus Bonds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bonus Bonds
    Posted: 29 January 2007 at 7:51pm
Now that I've been reasonably successful with my Fuzzi Bunz sales I want to start putting more money into Caitlin's savings account.

We currently just have an automatic payment going from our bank account into hers (BNZ) but I'm hoping to get into something that will be better for her long-term (We don't want it to be available to her until she's 21).

I'm not that keen on investments as we've had our fingers burnt before, but I've read some info and the Bonus Bonds seem quite low risk.

I was just wondering if anyone else had these for themselves or their kids?

Are they ok to use as savings with top ups if they win the prize draws?

Do you actually lose money at any stage?

Ta
Sponsored Links

jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2007 at 8:58pm
I had these when I was young, my grandma (mum's mum) had started them up for me when I was really little, and they eventually built up enough to pay my last year of university tuition. What was left after that went towards a handful of things for our wedding (which wasn't much). I'd say they're a pretty sure thing as far as a means of saving for kids so that they can't access the $$ until a certain age, and as far as I'm aware you can't lose money on them. I used to get the odd $50 or $20 'bonus' in the mail too, which was quite exciting (from monthly prize draws).
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2007 at 9:40pm
We have them for Kobe and Addison. Every so often we add to them and they can win each month, some of the prizes are actually quite big.
Im pretty sure there isnt really a risk with them and they are so easy. We have it so any little prizes they win are reinvested which would give them more chances to win aswell because every dollar bond you have is a chance to win. When they are older they can decide what they want to do with the money.

Oh and forgot to add, they are also very handy if people are stuck for presents. At christmas we just told people they could just buy the kids some bonus bonds rather than presents because they got so many presents!! and all you need to do is give people the number and they can buy some although most actually gave us the cash to put towards it. Kobe collects our neighbours mail for them when they are away and they pay him $10 every month so we just put all that onto his bonus bonds.

Edited by my2angels
sparkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2007 at 10:33pm
Where do you get them from? Or how do you start it up?
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2007 at 10:59pm
Bonus Bonds are available via any ANZ Bank. My grandma bought some of these for me when I was born, or soon after, and after I started working as a teenager I added to them bit by bit until I had $600 in bonds. There's no risk with them as far as I know, but documents available from ANZ would confirm that. However there's also no guarantee that you'll make anything from them. I had something under $20 aside for about 15 years and never won a cent. After I had $600 I did end up winning a couple of $20 lots. In the end I decided I was better off putting it in a savings account and earning interest... which is what we've decided to do for our kids' savings.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2007 at 11:48pm
So Teresa, over that time where you didn't put anything in did you keep your money?

I guess what I'm worried about is us losing her savings when we're trying to add to them. If that is the case I think I'd rather leave the money in the bank
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 7:18am
my grnadfather had $36,000 in bonus bonds. must have been pretty low risk for him to put his money there. Not sure if they accumulate interest. I know Natiuonal bank does an interesting bank account dedicated to saving for kids education and the the PSIS has a good kids account too.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 8:01am
I lost nothing Toni.
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 8:06am
you can also get them at post shops i think. My neice has about $500 and wins all the time, mainly $20 but she has had something like $50 too. I figure until i get it built up to a decent amount the interest they would receive at a bank would be so minimal and then of course you have to pay fees until you reach certain amounts. If the bonus bonds build up to a large amount then i might look at putting them into the bank but otherwise if they even won $20 in a year or two then its more interest than they would have got at the bank.
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 8:12am
Hi Toni, Bonus bonds is our way of saving for our kids education. We have it set up to auto buy an extra $100 every month. You cant loose money in bonus bonds its safe.   And you dont pay tax on the money thats in there. I think the percentage that you gain from it works out about half of what the banks are offering. ie if you add up your wins against the money you have in their its like 4%. But in saying that there is the chance of winning the big one.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 9:19am
Thanks so much ladies!

I think we're going to transfer her savings into the Bonus Bonds. It really P's me off that a baby's savings are taxed at the parent's income rate with banks, so even if Caitlin doesn't win "the big one" at least I know what we put in there is what she will actually get (with the chance of winning top ups).

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 10:49am
I thought if you had an IRD # for your kids and provided it to the bank they don't get taxed? I've never paid tax on any of my kids accounts?
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 12:35pm
I gave BNZ her IRD# but she still gets taxed at a child rate. I still think that is REALLY unfair!
jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 2:00pm
Yep, Erin pays tax too (we are with KiwiBank).

my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 5:25pm
Bit off the topic but have you guys heard about that savings/investment thing the government is bringing in this year? Apparently they are going to automatically take either 4% or 8% of your pay and put it into an investment thing, you can chose either high or low risk. Basically apart from a few specific situations you cant get the money out for 5 years and they are going ot just start doing it and its up to you to ring them if you dont want it to happen. I hadnt heard anything about it till my friend who has her own business got a letter about it from the ird.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 8:19pm
WTF?!?!? can they really do that?!?!? that's glorified theft surely!
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 9:40pm
My mum had $60k in bonus bonds and did really well with such a large investement but only becuase she had a greater chance og winning. To be honest even with Caitlin getting taxed I personally think it's not a bad idea to leave the money in a really good savings account and/or flick it to a term investment when you get enough.

With the government savings thing, if you start new employment you have the option to opt into Kiwisaver and that is when the enforced savings come in. Once you are in then you're in and what B is saying is that it won't be able to be touched until you are 55...much like your work super schemes.

At the risk of getting slammed I think it's a good idea. Most of NZ is debt to thier eyeballs and live totally outside their budget if they even have a budget. I'm all for anything that can help people save money. Besides 4% isn't that much...it's the amount I had going to my super.

jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 9:41pm

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 9:52pm
Oh and B just said that the tax on bank accounts gets claimed back when you do a tax return for your child at the end of the tax year. He said you get most if not all of it back.

my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 10:20pm
I think its a good idea, Im just worried that so far there doesnt seem to have been much info around about it, or have i just missed it? I guess until then and I know the ins and outs i just feel like they are dictating what we do with our money, the way it is taken straight out but i do understand that at least that way people are more likely to actually start some savings.
Hmmm just feel a bit uneasy about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>