FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedColouring hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colouring hair
    Posted: 02 February 2007 at 12:24pm
Hi

I was wondering, would you dye your hair (with a semi-permanent colour) within the first three months of pregnancy?

I'm booked into see my hairdresser next week and I'm in two minds.

Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 12:35pm
I got foils done at about 8 weeks
kell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 12:37pm
Hair dresser here I wouldnt worry, if I can go through 9 months of colouring hair and OB's not worrying im sure you can get your hair coloured. Your choice though, but Id go for it.
Kayla Rose is now 4!
James Sydney is nearly 2!
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 1:10pm
i personally wouldnt for the first 3 months, but yeah its up to you.
miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 2:29pm
Ha ha - good point kell! Hairdressers have babies too!
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 3:00pm
But remember hairdressers wear gloves and its not thier hair its going onto.
kell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 3:25pm
We breath it, we wash the bowls the product has been in, we wash your colour out, and if anyone is like me gloves or not it ends up on you. Granted its not on us in large amounts like it is you, but you add up all the colours we do in day and it would be the same if not more KWIM? but like ive said its a personal choice, and for the record to this day there is no proven documentation that suggests its bad for you.
Kayla Rose is now 4!
James Sydney is nearly 2!
Sarah Beth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 3:27pm
I was iffy about getting coloured, but was fine with highlights, that said, I cancelled all my appointments as I didn't want to sit in the chair that long.

I think the concern was more with older style dyes that aren't used now anyway.
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 3:49pm
yeah another hairdresser here and I used to always colour pregnant ladies hair. I havent personally ever coloured my hair while pregnant mainyl becuase my scalp and skin is very sensitive while pregnant.
You may notice your skin and hair might slightly change during pregnancy, but then again it may not.

I have been told your not allowed to colour your hair at all by some people, but Im not sure where they got that from as I never got told not to colour pregnant womens hair in my training.

My friend also worked in the salon till she was 8 motnhs pregs and never had any problems her boy is healthy as.

And yes no matter if your wearing gloves or not it gets all over hehe
kezplanet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kezplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 11:04pm
Hi, another hairdresser here, I agree with other h/d comments, I coloured my hair and had no adverse effects and was also working while early preg, no probs. If you are really concerned then maybe look at having foils done instead that way you almose eliminate the colour coming into contact with your skin apart from washing. BTW do you wear gloves while doing all your cleaning, dishes, in contact with laundry detergent there is about the same level of contact with chemicals.
Also with a semi perm colour it should be an acid base colour and shouldn't contain ammonia and other chemicals that a perm colour does. IMO it would be safe BUT if you are going to worry or stress about it you are best not to do it untill you are happy
Kerryn, Mum to
Ashlyn(29/3/04), Anastasia(1/11/05) & Abigail (24/02/09)
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2007 at 1:12am
Its funny as I was in the haridresser years ago and a pregnant woman came in and they refused to do it!

"Is it safe to colour or perm my hair during pregnancy?

Marie McDonald answers:
No one has enough information to promise with certainty that using chemical dyes during pregnancy is completely safe, so many pregnant women wait until after the first trimester. At the same time, no one has any human data to show these chemicals cause birth defects.

Over the years, people have conducted animal studies trying to shed light on this matter. Some, but not all, studies have shown a few of the chemical compounds in hair dyes to be teratogenic (causing birth defects). However, in many cases the animals were exposed to extremely high doses of these chemicals, doses in no way equivalent to the exposure of the woman who colours her hair every month or two.

Clearly, the chemicals in both permanent and semi-permanent hair dyes are not highly toxic. These chemicals have been around a long time, and no research shows they cause defects in newborns, so colouring your hair during pregnancy is probably safe. Plus, if you apply the dyes safely (using gloves in a well-ventilated room, and not leaving solutions on for excessive periods of time), you don't really absorb much of the chemicals into your system.

One alternative you might consider is highlighting, painting, or frosting your hair. You absorb hair colouring agents into your system through your skin (scalp), not through your hair shaft. So, any process - such as streaking - that puts less of the chemical in contact with your scalp reduces your exposure to the compounds in dyes.

Some experts recommend vegetable dyes as a good alternative to synthetic chemical agents during pregnancy. Many of these dyes also contain some of the same synthetic chemical compounds that the major cosmetic companies put in their permanent and semi-permanent dyes. Pure henna, which comes in a number of colours, is the exception. Henna is a semi-permanent vegetable dye considered to be very safe, though not everyone loves the hues it may impart!

It's important for women to feel good about themselves during pregnancy. Whether colouring your hair will make you feel good or cause you to worry needlessly for nine months is something to think about. If you do colour your own hair while expecting, wear gloves and work in a well-ventilated space to minimise your exposure to the harsh chemicals used in the colouring process."

Personally I wouldn't risk doing it in the first trimester but each to their own I guess!

Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2007 at 9:16am
I asked my midwife the same question and she laughed (very bubbly woman) and said unless you were dying down there ... then it is fine. So I dyed my hair right through pregnancy and Rhyley is fine.
Ann

Also Mum to Josh (15) and Brooke (10)
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2007 at 11:32am
Thanks so much for all the advise! I really do love this forum!!!

Its really hard to know if I'm being paranoid or not!!!
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2007 at 2:45pm
I dont think your being paranoid, there is such confusing info about this one its hard to know what to do. As i said, personally i wouldnt during the first trimester because that is when baby is developing and things can go wrong. This is going to sound really far fetched but the biggest reason i wont is because I dyed my hair when i was about 6 or so weeks pregnant with Kobe and he was born with a cleft lip, which developes around that time. I know, more than likely nothing to do with it but still...... There is absolutely no family history on either my husbands or my side of the family and our daughter was born with no problems at all (made sure i stayed away from anything in the first trimester with her) Yeah I know hairdressers come into lots of contact with hair dye but still, when you get your hair dyed you are sitting with it on your scalp for about an hour so its longer than just a bit here and there. Chances are its safe, Im sure 99% of the ladies that do dye their hair have no problems at all but for me, its not a risk Im willing to take anymore.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2007 at 5:11pm
My hairdresser said she wouldnt color my hair until i was over 10 weeks pregnant as the hormones can cause the dye not to take correctly. I dyed my hair but i wouldnt bleach it or anything like that.
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2007 at 1:42pm
Thanks for all the advise.

I've decided to go with my gut feelings and not use chemical dyes. I have, however, found that Lush do a 100% natural hair dye!! I'm going to give that a try
A very lucky mummy to two gorgeous boys:
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
Toran253500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toran253500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2021 at 11:26am
In our time such things as appearance are important because it makes a big impression on a variety of different people. This is the reason why I strongly recommended you to watch your hair very carefully and use different styles.
Paul266081 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul266081 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2021 at 12:41pm
It's great that now you can find a variety of stylists and hairdressers and choose them according to your preferences. It turned out to be very convenient for me and that's how I was able to find smart guys who can into goatee https://menshaircuts.com/goatee-styles/ I am happy to use their services because they are real professionals and perfectly understand what their clients need. I am completely satisfied with this because they can give me some useful advice. I recommend them to you.
Amanda268762 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda268762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2021 at 4:19pm
Oh my god, I'm so sorry! There's no feeling worse than feeling your hair starts falling off as a woman. You definitely need more supplements in your life.

Sorry for chiming in to this thread so late, but I used to dread taking showers all the time. Now I don't mind.

This is my story and some of my best advice which I hope is going to be of much help.

I'm a woman in her 50's and I didn't give much thought to my sprouting gray hairs and my hair loss in my 30's during my first pregnancy because they were virtually undetectable; however, as my patch turned into a streak, I began to question whether or not I should address them although it was the last thing I wanted to do...

Should I color them? Should I stick to natural hairstyles where they'd go unnoticed? I was really on the fence, yet I didn't feel particularly rushed to conceal my grays...

I'm glad there are finally solutions out there for doing something about it that actually work!

This is a daily hair growth supplement that quite quickly helped me and my bestie to improve our hair and stop our hair loss with a few important but natural ingredients.

It wasn't until we found it we were able to make our hair stop falling off as fast although it doesn't stop completely!

I finally feel a lot more confident in my hair!

Wishing you the best of luck in your journey, sis.

Hope my advice was of help to you <3

Amanda from Sweden
 Post Reply Post Reply