FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOne-year-old picky eater driving me NUTS!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One-year-old picky eater driving me NUTS!
    Posted: 05 February 2007 at 11:51am

Emma Rose is almost one... and recently her eating habits have gone absolutely wild, and I am at my wits' end with her! As I type this, she's sitting in her high chair screaming in rage!

It started when she was just about 10.5 months old -- she fussed every single time I would try to feed her. I put her in the high chair, put the bib on her, and the minute she sees the food bowl -- no matter what's in it -- she'd start to grizzle. Once I get the spoon in her mouth, she is usually fine... depending on what's on the spoon...

That's continued, but around two weeks ago she started getting picky about what she was eating. Before, she'd eat just about anything I offered up -- veges, fruits, cereals. Now, she only wants yoghurt and cereal. No veges, no fruit, no meat, no rusks. She won't take them pureed or in lumps. She won't do finger food. I sneak bites of fruits and veges in between the yoghurt and cereal, but she catches on pretty quickly and turns her head away from those.

She also doesn't want to feed herself, which I've tried letting her do -- she drops her finger food over the side of the tray for the dog to get. Now he's started lurking at mealtimes, which also makes me NUTS!

What is this all about? Has anyone else's child done this? I thought it might be tooth-related, but Bonjela smeared on her gums before the meal doesn't help. She also seems to be weaning -- boobs are no longer her best friend.

HELP!

Sponsored Links

SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2007 at 12:04pm
My little girl did more or less what yours are doing. Not to that extreme however although I think if I left it it would have gone that way.

She still goes through fases where this week she will eat fruit but wont touch veg or meat at all. And the next will only eat veg and then only eat meat.

I will totally relax around food. I also found to just place food around the house in little sucker plates she will eat stuff more readily.

I put a plate out give her a spoon or fork and then feed her as well. Dont try and force at all rather back down and let hubby take over for a while if you find yourself getting irritated at all. They pick up on it.

Offer a wide variety of food and just keep on offering. They will take it now and then and spit out and that is okay.

Remember most kids only eat their palm size cubed at any given moment. And you might just have to offer food more often.

When McKayla is teething she only wants porridge yogurt and boob milk. If you dont want her to wean yet you can express and give it to her in a sippy cup. Try and offer some raising ect as a snack. This one just absolutely loves them.

Cut food in small pieces for her put it on a tray in the garden and play with it with her. Let her feel it and touch it. Let Dad play as well and make funny faces. She might be more likely to eat it as well.

Play games around the table and let Dad steal some food of her plate and see if she wont do the same.

Dont know what else will work but small things like this made a difference this side.

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2007 at 2:01pm
I went through the same thing with Jake, and it was really stressing me out, and my dog is getting really fat. We still go through phases of this behaviour, I think it is just testing the boundries thing. I just use my mummy voice, and firmly tell him if he dosen't eat what he is given, he will go hungry. Then i take him out of the high chair and send him away. I don't throw out the food he hasn't eaten, so if he comes back whining, I offer him that again. He soon gets the drift, eat it or go without. Kids won't starve, they will eventually "give in", if we have a night when he won't eat anything, well, he just goes to bed with a bottle. It feels mean, making them go without, but you ahve to show whos boss!
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2007 at 5:55pm
My mum went through the same thing with me with meat and veges. She discovered that it was actually the meat that made me so angry and then anything that I "thought" was meat I wouldn't eat. In the end mum gave up offering meat to me and eventually I went back to veges but I've been vegetarian ever since.

If mum tried to force me with meat I'd go hungry for days. But I think what jacobsmum said is right, if she doesn't wanna eat it then let her down and if she comes back hungry reoffer what was offered in the first place. Or make it really fun and if she eats what you want she gets a treat. Dad use to bribe me with stuff to get me eating new veges hehe worked though.
linda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2007 at 8:40pm
We had the same thing with Alex (now 14 months) and I know this isn't right but we give him a toy to divert his attention so we can feed him. Works well so am keeping with it
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2007 at 9:26pm
She's gotten a little better in the last two days -- now she'll eat arrowroot biscuits. LOL. I have been relaxing about it and just giving her what she'll eat, and sneaking spoonfuls of veges/meat in there when I can. Tonight she ate a whole jar of the Only Organics Moroccan Lentil Casserole, so I consider that a small victory. She also ate a bit of banana. Woohoo!!!!
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 8:29am
Sorry - I didn't read all these posts... but Han did the same thing following a period of teething and sickness.

Plunket said "It's your responsibility to provide the food, it is her responsibility to eat it" - it has been my mantra ever since.
kezplanet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kezplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2007 at 2:24am
Hey Kathrine another thing you might try is to let Emma eat off yours or hubbys plate while you are eating, if that works in with your meals, it does get a bit messy but many times when the girls wont eat their meals Karl will sit at their table and they all eat off his plate .... of course after I have provided both the girls with 'big girl forks' like daddys!!
Kerryn, Mum to
Ashlyn(29/3/04), Anastasia(1/11/05) & Abigail (24/02/09)
 Post Reply Post Reply