FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedwhat do you call your private bits?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2007 at 7:26pm
This leads to a good point... do you try to discourage "playing"? They *all* seem to go through stages of touching in nappy changes and I know there's a certain amount of exploring their own body but I'm hesitant to promote that or to make them feel that area is shameful or "dirty". So far I have just used the excuse that it's too easy to hurt yourself there so don't touch. Is that the best way to go?
Sponsored Links

daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2007 at 7:46pm
Teresa, I've gone along the track that the child can touch, but it's their business and therefore should be kept private. They have to keep their hands out of the way while I'm changing their nappy (and I use the word "messy" rather than "dirty" to avoid the connotations of it being wrong) and I wipe/wash their hands if they have grabbed at themselves during the change (regardless of whether it was a pooey nappy or not), and I've taught Kiya to wash her hands after touching herself.

Josiah's not quite beyond only touching at nappy changes or in the bath yet, but Kiya is. I've tried to teach her that any touching she does there is private, so to stay in her room! She's got into the habit of holding her crotch recently because she had an itch, and now that the itch has gone she still grabs. Nat and I gently remind her to move her hand for the first few minutes then we get strict.
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2007 at 7:54pm
Oh, and on the original topic we've taught our kids "vagina", "penis" and "bottom"... Kiya knows the difference, but for some reason has recently started refering to her whole nether-regions as her bottom! Caused me major confusion when she had an itch recently and was having a scratch in front while explaining she was "itching her bottom"!

Josiah's just started talking properly... he's picked up on "booby" (from when I'm hanging out before Xavier latches on) and this morning he grabbed himself during a nappy change and said "Booby!", but he did try and copy me when I said "penis" instead... hope he gets the idea!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2007 at 8:00pm
you should see my boys when they have no clothes on... i swear somthimes they are trying to pull them off. gabriel can almost makes his penis do tricks. i tell them not to touch when changing but only cause like you becca i dont want them to get dirty, its funny tho cause sometimes they want to help putting the powder on or wiping themselves with the flannel. i dont discourage them touching at all...at this age i think it is important not to put boundary on that sort of thing... when gabriel gets a bit older we might talk about doing it at appropriate times or places but at the mo i dont mind.

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2007 at 8:02pm
Jake knows what booby is too, although he also calls his drink cup or bottle booby as well.

Fanny gives me a cringe, so when americans call bum bags fanny packs, I just about die!

The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2007 at 8:03pm
Hey, Roksana, maybe Zaara thinking it is called "dont touch" will be handy for when she is a teenager....
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Spudling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2007 at 8:46pm
ha ha, fanny packs, isn't that just awful!!!!
re the touching thing, Cailin loves to help and she always wants to wipe, but I don't allow her to do it, but have been trying not to make a big deal out of it because I don't want her to think that it is dirty to touch either. Becca, I like the idea of using the word messy instead of dirty, I am going to do that from now on.
And jacobs mum, exactly what I thought too re Zaara, very handy when she is older to be calling it a don't touch!!
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 7:02am
I justr try to discourage "public touching" - Honestly, sometimes he reminds me of Al Bundy in the supermarket.
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 9:19am
Originally posted by jacobsmama jacobsmama wrote:

Hey, Roksana, maybe Zaara thinking it is called "dont touch" will be handy for when she is a teenager....

Never thought of it like that....you are right!!!

I might not teach her other wise...Muhhahhhaaa

newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 9:30am
LOL, good topic! I have been wondering about "names" lately too.

I call Joeys bum "popo" (german word) and say either penis or "pimmel" (german word, like diddle or willy I guess). hehehehe sounds funny when I see i written down

Joey is always playing with himself - just like Lizzie said with th Al Bundy comment, lolol He seems to find comfort in just standing with his hand(s) in his pants, the only time he really plays with his penis is in the bath. He often goes for it while I am changing his nappy, and usually when it is a pooey nappy of course, I guess telling him off is wrong because he will get the wrong idea and I don't want him to get "dirty" ideas about touching himself either. Might try the messy comment like Becca

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 10:01am
jack always plays with himself in the bath and alot of times when i'm changing him. i just tell him to wait til it's been wiped and then let him go for it

daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 10:18am
I thought this might make you all laugh:

Josiah went into my room the other day and got the curash powder. He then walked around with it (closed) and would stop, pull out his waistband and shake the container at his nappy before smiling and walking around some more!
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 10:47am
Lol....thats cute!!

Zaara always find any lotion bottle and tho its closed she pretends that she is pouring some on her hand and then rubs her hand/legs/body etc.....

Shows that kids do copy what we do!!

Spudling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 11:39am
Roksana, Cailin does the same, and with with sunblock too, one of the few "good" habbits she has picked up
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 2:43pm
He he ha ha...arnt they cute doing it tho....I love it!! and Zaara always has a serious face on while doing it!! lol

SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 3:40pm
McKayla just loves her cream. You must see her rub it into her tummy. She brings the bottle to you and you must just pour.

On the subject of touching. McKayla doenst really play as such but she does touch now and then. I dont say nor do anything about it.

I see is as harmless exploration and all kids do it. If she is going to start playing ect I will teach her that that stuff happens in private with no one around. I dont want her to think that it is dirty or perverted.

But right now I think she thinks it is part of her body like her nose.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12