FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPocket nappies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pocket nappies
    Posted: 21 March 2007 at 8:57am
Okay... looks like we'll be (slowly) going cloth!

I think pockets will probably be the best way to go, as I can get one size for both boys and just customise the stuffing to suit, and they should dry fast enough in the winter.

I took some measurements this morning:
Josiah: weight = 10kg (approx), waist = 40cm, thigh = 24cm, length = 84cm
Xavier: weight = 8kg (approx), waist = 38cm, thigh = 24cm, length = 70cm
so as you can see, there's not a lot between them!

So my questions are... dum dum dah...

1) What are the types of pocket nappies? There are so many different ones that I'm getting confused! I keep reading about a type to find its an AIO instead
I know about Fuzzibunz, Joel-eze and the ones Snazzipants stock... what else is out there?

2) I know this is personal preference, but what do you think would work best for me: One-Size-Fits-All or different sizes?

3) My boys are not heavy wetters, so how many extra inserts (I know, dependant on type) do you think I'll need for general day use and overnight? (per child)
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 8:58am
Tweedle, Pea Pods and Swaddlebees are all pockets
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 9:29am
pockets,

swaddlebee (they do an all in one too)
pea pods
fuzzi bunz
happy heiny, haute pockets and superstars(snazzipants sell these)
yo yo
smart e pants (a one size with gussetts)
wigglebums do pockets among others
jeol eze
tweedle
cheek boutique (one size)
ecobubs wool pockets

as to inserts most brands sell inserts with them and i find a lot of the kiwi made nappies sell better inserts with combinations of fabric which seem to work better. otherwise you can buy some prefolds as stuffers or ordinary old flats are good too. until you start trying them tho you wont really know how many you will need...

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 11:57am
My fave and most reliable inserts atm are the Ecobubs hemp/cotton ones that come with their wool pockets. With the Fuzzibuns, Happy Heinys and Drybees I find they need either one insert+booster or a prefold for daytime and at night they are in the HH's stuffed with a flat + microfibre insert, or an Ecobubs wool pocket with teh Ecobubs insert + a flat.

The Ecobubs are great for nights as they have huuuuge pocket, you can really stuff them full, but I hate using them at night coz they are real show-off nappies - too cute to hide away in a cot all night
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 12:34pm
Do the Joel-eze nappies come with an insert or is that extra?

I'm thinking about buying two or three different ones and seeing which one works best for my boys, and building up a collection of those (selling the extra ones along the way). I'm also thinking I'll buy some flats as extra stuffing to begin with
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 1:22pm
according to the joel eze website the inserts arent included, but she does sell them separately.

daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 2:27pm
Okay... next question

Nat has said that if we are going to do this, then he would prefer to go with a OSFA-style, to get the most value for money.

So, I know there's:
Superstars & Haute Pockets (from Snazzipants)
Smart E Pants
BumGenius
Mummy's Touch
Cheek Boutique

Have I missed any?
Anna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 2:34pm
Hey Becca,

I tried OSFA nappies and wasn't convinced! I have a mommys touch and a cheek boutique that I would be happy to loan you if you wanna try them out? They are both BRIGHT pink but maybe good to try?

PM me if you are keen!
Anna

Anna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 2:38pm
And what about getting a couple of bummis wrap and some flat nappies? So good - especially for little babes who don't move too much, they dry super fast and are cheap?!
Anna

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 2:55pm
I've looked at OSFA nappies and haven't been convinced either. Mind you, I haven't actually tried any, but the rise snaps look complicated.

I used flat nappies and covers with Maya from 6 weeks thru to TT, and with the gremlins from 2-8 weeks and functionally they are fine. I never used them at night tho...
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 3:01pm
OSFA nappies- hrmmmm... they would definitely fit both the boys for sure. But the price is that much more and they wouldn't necessarily fit a new babe very well.

The snaps on the Mummy's Touch are complicated, but like anything, once you get it sorted and put them to use they shouldn't be more trouble than any other nap - they do fit a wide range of sizes compared to some other naps.

The SmartE pants nappies don't look very bit and I know a friend's baby has grown out of the rise in them at 9 months (I think he's 9 months?)... but you can get a toddler size in those, not sure how that works.

The BumGenius look good.

Cheek Boutique, I haven't had experience with.

And good plan on trying a few out! Good luck!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 3:09pm
hmmm, smarte pants arent a real one size as they do a toddler nap too and i found them quite small fitting. i trialed a cheek boutique and they are good nappies and they adjust using snaps in the legs (as opposed to snaps on the outside for the rise) and if the boys needed diff leg snaps that could be a pain. those haute nappies looked pretty good to me - busy behinds also sell them too along with pocket change nappies (i havent seen this one before - it has two pocket openings so the insert will agitate out in the wash) and pea pods.

if you buy some prefolds and covers as well then the prefolds can double as inserts for the pockets too. i used prefolds and flats on toby when i first started.

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 4:11pm
my first nappy was a mommys touch as i thought it would be better to go OSFA but....on charli it's a nightmare. it just doesn't seem to sit right. on jack, its a perfect fit (shame it's pink). they are alot more $$ than sized ones though..$32.95 for mommys touch as opposed to $22 for joel-eze. i've also used the wonderoos OSFA and they are ok on charli but too small in the rise for jack so i wouldn't recommend them for the boys either.

another way to help you decide which brands to get may be if you want snaps or velcro.. josiah may be able to get out of a velcro nappy so that may narrow it down abit. although most are snaps anyway but some only do velcro.

i used prefold/cover on charli until a mth ago, found pockets were quicker to put on once she started wriggling around

i have a tweedle nappy here you can have for $15 if you interested. it's suppose to be sz sml but it's too big for charli (6.5kg) and too short in the rise for jack (13.5kg) so would probably fit the boys. it's a sage one.

otherwise, you know i highly recommend joel-eze...did you check out her gallery page? charli is on there in the seaspray (aqua) nappy lying on her changing table i've just got 5 naps off her for jack and have just ordered another 5 but she's on holiday until the 29th so i have to wait for them the bob the builder nappy is really cool!

well, that turned into a real book!! good luck with whatever you decide to get. it's all a matter of trial and error really but you get there in the end.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 4:14pm
as for how many inserts......work on 1-2 per nappy to start with and see how you go. if you are getting the flats you can always use them instead or as a booster.

daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 4:38pm
Thank you all so much!

OSFA wasn't really my first choice, but hey... gotta listen to my husband occasionally! I do like the look of the Joel-eze and Tweedle naps, but Nat doesn't like the idea of having to buy a whole new set as the boys (especially Xavier) get bigger.

The biggest thing is Nat is not convinced it will actually save us money in the long term. We currently spend $1200 at the most per year on sposies, and Nat thinks that the total cost of cloth (nappies, various inserts, power, washing powder, dry bin etc) for two children will work out at about the same amount.
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 4:50pm
Oh, Vanessa - I'll talk to Nat first, then I'll PM you about the Tweedle Thanks for the offer!
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 4:57pm
There are also cheaper sites to get the inserts and boosters etc from. I got really bored one day and did a bit of research - babyharmony.co.nz has fairly cheap inserts and boosters both in microfleece and hemp. Cheaper than pretty much all ther others I've found (eg fuzzi's inserts are $7 ea)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 5:50pm
i have inserts from tweedle and they are good. can't remember how much they were but i think they are $5 each..
you'd be looking at about $450-480 for both boys in pockets and inserts based on $20-22 per nappy.
remind nat of the re-sale value! i've just sold a few peapods and wonderoos on TM....i lost $5 approx each nappy! they are so popular these days that re-selling isn't a problem

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 5:53pm
i use persil sensitive for the kids stuff and as you only use half the usual amount for nappies, it lasts a while. as for the power....it's not really going to be that much more. how do you get rid of your rubbish? council bags or wheelie bin? you may save there, i know we don't fill a bin as quickly now as we did before

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 8:03pm
*chants* resale value, resale value, resale value...

Having spent probably close to $2000 all up on nappies so far I'm counting on getting at least some of it back!

Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>