FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTips for Breastfeeding and Milk Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 20>
Author
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 9:51pm
Yep inverted nipples are no barrier to BF'ing...YOu just create your wn kind of normal. I've got them, fed my littlest for 2 years I knw a mum who BF twins for 2 years with them. SOme inverted nipples ladies use nipple shields the whole time, but most find their own way. GL!
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Sponsored Links

MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 12:19pm
Just reporting back to say that I had my appt this morning with the LC and it was FANTASTIC!

I'm armed with a new feeding hold, a new nipple shield and lots of tips and voila - she fed like a pro! I know we aren't out of the woods yet, my nipples still need to heal and hopefully we can remove the shield in the next week or so and I may need another appt yet, but I'm feeling so much better about it and I'm so very glad I was able to express these last two weeks and keep going

Thanks so much again everyone for your help!!

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 1:03pm
YAY That is fantastic. I hope everything goes well from here for you

Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 8:05pm
Oh that is fantastic!!! Couldnt have asked for a better result! Make sure you keep us posted! Well done you! Ah, Im so pleased for you!

+1 May 09 Angel
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 9:20pm
Re inverted nipples and feeding, MIL had/has them and fed all 3 of her boys for about 18-2 years and I have flat nipples and have had no problems, we both found our babies sucked them out.
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2011 at 12:11pm
Me again!

Just wanted to pop in again to say thank you again so much for your help and encouragement in the last few weeks! We have absolutely turned a corner when it comes to feeding, since seeing the LC we have been feeding with next to no issues whatsoever (the odd pinch when latching but I guess that's normal). DD was weighed last Monday and had put on 460g in 8 days - the week before she had lost 20g but she is now back over her birth weight and I am so stoked that it was all Mumma milk Expressing for all those feeds was so worth it and so was persevering with the feeding! I actually look forward to spending the time feeding now rather than dreading the time and cringing/crying through it.

I'm so happy it's all worked out, thanks to my fabulous MW, my awesomely supportive DH who just kept saying 'try one more feed and see how it goes' knowing I didn't want to give up and letting me sit in bed doing lots of skin to skin and trying to feed while he took care of DS. And of course you lovely ladies who gave me hope that it would work out!!

Sorry for the long winded speech haha, I'm just so stoked that I am able to give DD what I believe is the best start to life

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2011 at 12:31pm
Yay Mrs Emma, I am so happy that things have worked out for you I wish you all the best in the continuation of your BF journey, and that you can keep going for many years

hennypenny View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennypenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 7:00pm
Hi Guys I have a question re breastfeeding twins. I have previously been feeding then topping up with EBM and expressing between feeds. However in the last couple of days I have not had the opportunity to express and as a consequence the twins are now fully feeding from the breast, should I try to express now and then to keep the milk up or continue with the new routine or the original routine? Its taken me 9 almost 10 weeks to get to the point where they will feel satisfied and settle off the breast alone.
Two_Puddle_Ducks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two_Puddle_Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2011 at 12:59pm
I haven't had twins so take this advice or leave it. I would just breastfeed and then if I had the time I'd try express maybe once a day to put some in the freezer as a reserve. It will also mean that as your twins go through growth spurts they'll be able to drink into your expressing supply (What i mean is that maybe for a few days you'd express and not get so much because they were eating more.)

Congrats on managing to breastfeed your twins. Breastfeeding is a difficult task and takes effort.

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 11:20am
How do you keep going when everyone around you is going on bottles?

I'm happily BF DD at 8 months and would like to continue till she weans herself which I'm aware could be anywhere between 18 and 24 months.

Where do you find support?

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 11:29am
Caliandjack- I just keep going, im one of those people where it doesnt bother me, I know that I am doing THE BEST that I can do for my child, and if others think its funny then its their problem. In saying that all my mummy friends dont even bat and eyelid when I ask to use their bedrooms to feed. I am one of the last ones to still be BF and will continue to be until DD wants to stop.

Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 11:39am
Why does them going to bottles affect you? (not ment to sound harsh, just wondering why)
Some have gone to bottles, but not as many as I would have expected, Im proud to still be breastfeeding tho, and I enjoy it, so I dont worry if someone else has an issue with it (I was sitting in a park in washington DC two days ago BFing DD who was up to her usual antics of doing handstands while feeding.. I expected to get a few funny looks considering im in the states and the only one other person Ive seen/heard about BFing did it in the parents room as she couldnt imagine feeding in public! but I didnt! I got a couple of smiles and nods, but that was it! totally not what I was expecting, but thats a bit off topic, sorry!)
There is LLL as well, do you go to their meetings?? The ones Ive been to have been awesome, with lots of women EBFing. Ive also found places like babywearing groups have women who BF (Im not saying everyone, but foudn they seem to have a higher percentage).
I havnt had any comments from my family, my mum BFed my sister and I till we were 21 months, my aunt BFed my cousin till she was 4 years, so its one thing Ive had a lot of support from them from

+1 May 09 Angel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 11:53am
I guess I'm not a standing out from the crowd type of person I want to fit in and feel accepted I don't think of myself as a EBF'er cause we aren't past 12 months yet.

DD has started feeding sitting up doesn't bother me, other peoples comments sometimes do though.

I don't think we have a LLL meeting in West Auckland I'll have to find one.
I am wanting to go along to The Big Latch On it would be nice to meet other Mum's who are still BF and feel normal and not odd.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 1:38pm
Im not really a stand out person either, Im really shy and hate attention being drawn to me, but for some reason (maybe all the sh*t weve gone through to BF) Im determined to not be put off by anyone else? And I guess a lot of the people I know are BFers or even if tehy bottle fed then they dont really say much (although i do get some comments about your not going to let her feed till shes 4 right? I just say yep! she can come home at lunch time for a wee drink )
LLL locations, im not sure which (if any) are west auckland, but tehy have a few in auckland so there might be one close? Also they are on FB as are breastfeeding NZ which can give you some support too.
Do people who switch to bottle say things to you? link to some cool comebacks from when people say stupid stuff. I got a chuckle out of it anyway!
Just remember that your the normal one.. its totally normal to feed your baby with milk 100% designed for her, and you shouldnt feel out of place by it. I guess I fake it till I make it, in that I want others to see BFing as normal (which it is!) and feel that tehy arnt out of place, so if I feed any where and everywhere then hopefully it will enable someone else who is a little less confident to do so too

+1 May 09 Angel
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 4:03pm
I get that. Even though DS is only so little and i intend for going as long as possible all my mommy friends weaned onto bottle+formula at about 3 months. I didnt feel uncomfortable at all until last week actually until i was feeding him and they all got bottles out. Then i realised i was the ONLY one still breastfeeding and the questions about when i'd wean etc started. They think i'm mad as DS has never had a bottle in his life and ask how i'm going to go out by myself if i can't leave him some food but i dont see why i'd go somewhere without him. It makes me feel extremely awkward even though i'm comfortable with my decision.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 4:20pm
DD will happily take a bottle and she's well established on solids, I can easily leave her for a couple of hours with a bottle of water and a jar of food. She's started dropping her midday/lunch feed in favour of solids this past month.

One of the Mum's in my coffee group made a comment about me getting my boobs out this time next year, while I may well have weaned her by then its not out of the realm of possibility that we will still be going with it.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
phantom_1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phantom_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 7:15pm
Hi Ladies

C&J I totally know what you mean! We have joined a playcentre and only the little babies seem to be BF and then not all of them.
My little girl is still BF'ing every 3 or 4 hours. She is just starting to take an interest in solids and I try to give her finger foods when we eat.
The plunket nurse made me feel bad about what I was doing and made it sound like I shouldn't offer her breast even when I know shes hungry.
I suddenly feel like I'm going to lose our closeness but that I really should push her into what plunket wants.
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 7:18pm
phantom- its your baby not plunkets. Dont take everything they say to heart, alot of it doesnt work for every baby. Do what works for YOU and YOUR girl and forget their nonesense

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 8:33pm
I'm the only one in my playcentre group that still bf's.
I very much still do on demand DD now crawls up to me and will pull on my top. I also still feed overnight.

I only go to Plunket for weighing and measuring now, every other time I've been they always make me doubt myself and second guess how I'm raising my daughter.

That's why I like OB as here I can find other Mum's doing things the same way as me and not feel like I have to conform to what Plunket says.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Richtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 9:26pm
Caliandjack there is LLLKelston

They do coffee morning and meeting on Tuesday.

Edited by Richtea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 20>