FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTips for Breastfeeding and Milk Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 20>
Author
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2009 at 1:36pm
Raggy - I stll have squirty boobs on occasion (only in the mornings these days)! I find that a breast pad on the other side to stop that one leaking everywhere, and a poncho or wrap or a baby blanket over bubs and my shoulder to hide the squirts. And a flannel tucked into the bottom of my bra works as an alternative to the full size towel.

RuthyH - You'll be feeding in winter so BF singlets are great for keeping some clothing on (and they hide the tummy in public). If you want time out, or dad to have an opportunity to feed, a breastpump and a few bottles (invest in the ones more like a real nipple), some nipple cream (apply this after you've let them dry out), and the number of a local lactation consultant or la leche league.
Sponsored Links

RuthyH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuthyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2009 at 3:37pm
Brilliant thanks for the advice Flutterby

RuthyH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuthyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 10:18am
Ooh actually another question I would love to ask - how do I know what size maternity bras / singlets to buy prior to starting breastfeeding? My boobs have already increased a few sizes in pregnancy and I'm just wary that they might get even bigger once the milk comes in so I don't want to be stuck with clothes that are too small. Thanks!

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 10:21am
RuthyH, I think stuff that fits you now should be good. Yes your boobs will get slightly bigger still but then once your supply settles down they're likely to get a little smaller again. Most maternity bras are very adjustable and the singlets are very forgiving

Edited by weegee

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 11:47am
When your milk comes in your boobs will shock you for the 1st week or 3 (I went up to an E cup! Quick trip to the warehouse for the cheapest bra I could find) but weegee's right, once your supply settles you tend to go back to your late preggy cup size. In my case I was an A pre-preggy, a C in late preggy, an E when my milk came in (down to a D cup by 4 weeks, and a large C by 8 weeks), and now at 9 months I'm back down to a small C. Get sized for your maternity bra's about now, and the singlets are great, I've been able to fit mine from birth through to now (and they don't stretch horribly, they hold the shape quite well)
RuthyH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuthyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 10:39am
Thanks so much to you both, really helpful advice. It's so nice to be able to get help with all these niggly questions. I have bought some singlets on trade me already and will get a few feeding bras that have some flex in them!

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 10:47am
Ruthy when I got fitted for my bras I was told that you need to be able to fit your hand inside the cup to allow for your milk coming in and a breast pad... Seems to have been spot on for me :)

Niecey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niecey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2009 at 12:56am

This is exactly what I needed 3 months ago but I was absolutely DETERMINED to get through BF. When I gave birth to my DS, they put him on my chest and he started to feed. My colostrum had been coming in for weeks now so was no problem for him and he didn't take too long to latch (was so beautiful when he did the first time too). Anyway, I thought he ended up peeing while on the breast..silly me...it was my other boob leaking like crazy!!

I had the hardest time getting him to latch on my own what with all the nurses telling me I had large breasts..but they helped me over and over again. My boy ended up waking me in the middle of the night and did the cluster feeding which kept me up for hours!! Ughhhh..my nipples were beyond sore and I was tired as cuz I was running on adrenaline the whole day thinking I didn't need my sleep nor did I want to! I felt so bad for all the other new moms cuz my kid was screaming at the top of his lungs thru the night wanting to feed and my milk wasn't yet there. Eventually it came but problems didn't end there. I still had trouble with the latch and I ended up with sore, cracked nipples and no breast pump. I persevered...and then there was thrush for god...probably almost 2 mos...but I was treated so that helped although he kept on latching on and off so that made my nipples dry and a bit sore. At least the nipple cream put an end to the intense pain when my milk came down during feedings.

I just kept thinking...I want to just give up...but then I'd say...so many other women can do it and have done it in the past without any dr's help..why can't I? Same thought along with the drug-free labor (haha..that was fun!). I wanted my baby to have something that was completely natural and sooooooo good for him (the health benefits are so underrated..I think they don't emphasize enough that it IS better than formula).

Well, I can now attest that--yes I can do it and so can you!! Best of luck BF--I'm so glad I'm BF him these days..a bond that I don't look forward to breaking. If anyone needs advice just let me know and I can share my knowledge.

Denise

Denise

Richtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 7:14pm

Hi Wondering if any one had any advice on how long is to long for the baby to be on the breast? My little one would happily stay latched and sucking for over an hour each side!!!  Not really sure what the best thing to do is. I don't have a slow flow as it squirts out and when i express I get 100mls plus . Thanks

jano1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jano1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 7:27pm
Wow your (.)s must be sore Richtea! All the advice I was given by my MW and plunket suggests that babies shouldn't feed longer than 30-45mins. However some babies are fast and some are slow so it really depends on your baby.

Is she feeding the whole time or can you tell once she stops feeding and starts comfort suckling? Thats probably the time to take her off the breast. She might grizzle but my guess will get used to it pretty quickly.

My baby is a couple of weeks older than yours and she feeds for around 10mins during the night and around 20mins during the daytime. A couple of weeks ago she was feeding for 30mins so the time for feeding is getting quicker.

Hope that helps

Edited by jano1
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 11:38pm
Richtea, my MW told me that when she starts doing 'butterfly sucks' - when she sorta quivers her chin - she's finished feeding and just comfort sucking.
Niecey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niecey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 10:54am
Richtea-- I went through the same! Feeding would take ages but as I look back I'm almost certain I was giving him too much time at the boob. It does lessen in time. You just have to recognize when he's doing the comfort sucking. Make sure he/she doesn't fall asleep!!! Keep him actively sucking by pinching their cheeks/ears or playing with their fingers/toes (which makes them a bit fussy) but essentially gives the message--get down to business. If he/she fails to actively suck, then take him/her off and play until they seem to want to suck again. If they do the same low sucks, then take em off. Eventually they'll get this message that when they're on the boob, it's for food and not too much comfort. Saves your boobs! Good luck!
Denise

Richtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 10:11pm
Hi Thanks for all the advice. Think I have got the hang of it now. Got feeding down to abpout 30mins now

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Chickoin Chickoin wrote:

Richtea, my MW told me that when she starts doing 'butterfly sucks' - when she sorta quivers her chin - she's finished feeding and just comfort sucking.

I just noticed Jake doing this yesterday, thanks chickoin! I had wondered why Jakes feeds had started taking an hour again. Cheeky monkey

SpecialK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 4:59pm
Chikoin, the butterfly sucks thing - that is the best thing I read about BF, thank you! My baby does that at every feed and I've been thinking that maybe he is comfort sucking... but wasn't sure how to tell. Will see how I go at next feed.
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 6:44pm
Yay! You're both very welcome
I don't think it counts in the super early days when you are feeding colostrum, because it's hard work for bub to suck for so long but once the milk comes in the butterfly suck gives away the comfort sucking secret mwahaha
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 12:03am
Sorry if this has already been asked, anyone have any tips on how to get baby to open a bit wider?
Ty doesn't open very wide and often has his tongue up instead of down , making it painful when i feed, and I know it shouldnt be , not the whole time anyway .
He has plenty of wet and dirty nappies each day tho , so something is going in , but my poor nipples aren't having a good time

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 8:44am
Tickle his chin with your nipple. Try it out with your finger so you can see where you need to tickle.

Some babies don't open as well, just make sure he gets on with out hurting & don't worry how much boob gets in his mouth.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 10:51pm
*sigh * , I tried the tickling his chin thing , still didn't seem to work , he opens as wide as I think he can , but it hurts, and not the usual latching on pain , it hurts the whole time he is feeding , and my whole breast itches and burns , and when he comes off the nipple is not the right shape .
I know its him latching on that is causing the trouble ,its so hard to get him to put more than just the nipple in his mouth .
Im really hating it

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 10:24pm
Kelly, ring La Leche. I would get my LLL book out and give you the answer but I can't get to it right now. Will grab it out in the morning, but do ring LLL.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 20>