FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTips for Breastfeeding and Milk Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 20>
Author
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2009 at 11:19pm
Its ok , meant to add on to my post, yesterday I decided I was going to feed how I was comfortable, and forget the hospitals techniques , and all the right ways , eg positioning etc .
Now, he is feeding well,its not hurting , and we are both happy , hes looking healthy and having plenty of wet and dirty nappies .
I realised that both times with my babies, the problems have stemmed from this idea that im doing it wrong because of different advice I got from the hospital, once I let him find his way on , without caring for the "right " way to do it , things got a lot better

Sponsored Links

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2009 at 3:40pm
ah awesome! been thinking about you all day, everytime I see my great big book of everything (its bright yellow) at my desk in my room I keep thinking must Pm Kelly!
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Flutterby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flutterby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2009 at 11:30am
Caitlynsmygirl that is exactly what I decided to do. When I first had Cody and was getting used to BFing I was always worried because his mouth didn't open up as much as it did in diagrams I saw, and my nipples were so sore for that first week or so. But got some of that Weleda nipple cream and relaxed.

Now I don't even need to help him get on, just need to put his head at the right level and he dives on in
ajmmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajmmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2009 at 5:16pm
Hehehe Casper1 that made me laugh as my boy does the same thing & it's so funny when they go from being helped on to basically lunging at you!

HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2009 at 7:28pm

How long is it meant to take for your nipples to desensitise? I just tried feeding DD and it felt SO sore sometimes its not so sore, is this a problem with her latching I did try different positions etc.

If it continues to hurt this much then I don't think I will continue bfing its soooo sore! I tried her on a bottle of ebm afterwards and it looks like she may have just been comfort sucking cos she only had 20ml of that after about 10mins I gave her the dummy and she was happy as. DP just gave her 80ml of ebm and has ended up wearing it so thinking she wasn't actually hungry.

FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2009 at 8:09pm
I think it varies from person to person. For me, the first 3 weeks were sensitive, then weeks 4 - 7 I would have enjoyed being bitten by a rabid dog more and I wanted to quit every day! But I kept telling myself "just for one more day". After that it just got easier and easier. The pain would have me crying while I fed sometimes during those hard weeks, but her latch was fine. Get your midwife or a lactation consultant to check your latch, and if it's good then stick with it, it does get easier and the nerves do numb off.
SpecialK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2009 at 3:05pm
Mine were awful for weeks, until the LC I saw at Plunket told me it was thrush. Took a good couple of weeks to clear up, but since then have been fine. The thrush comes back every now and again, but I know what to do now so can treat it before it gets awful.

Also, nipple shields were great - although initially I used them to get H to latch, once he was a bit older I just alternated feeds (ie one feed with the shields, then one without etc) until I could feed without them.

It does get easier... even though I don's seem to be able to do it without drugs, it's still so worth it.
rocmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 3:46pm
Can anyone tell me about expressing?

I have no problem doing by hand - works fine, so i went and purchased a fancy Medela electric pump, but it doesnt seem to produce the milk i can when i am expressing by hand. And my nipple feels like its getting sensitive the longer the electric pump is going?

Hmm?
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 6:22pm
It took me a while to get the hang of an electric pump too. I think it just takes a wee while for your body to get used to? I find it works best for me in the morning after feeding off one side. When Jody's back in bed I read a book while expressing. I find when it's cold my nipple gets sensitive and also if I have it sucking too hard.
I hope that helps a bit
rocmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 8:30pm
Great thanks for the advice!! I will see how that works for me

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 9:32pm
Some Tips for the EBM ladies...

Just remember that how much you express is NO WAY indicitive of how much milk baby is getting AT ALL!!! And don't fall into the trap of thinking that baby has to have X mls or you need to "see" how much baby is taking, your body makes most of what you need while baby is feeding and a pump woeks way different than baby does on your breast as well as other hormonal factors. Trust your body that baby is getting enough!
NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2009 at 1:00am
Originally posted by fattartsrock fattartsrock wrote:

Some Tips for the EBM ladies...

Just remember that how much you express is NO WAY indicitive of how much milk baby is getting AT ALL!!! And don't fall into the trap of thinking that baby has to have X mls or you need to "see" how much baby is taking, your body makes most of what you need while baby is feeding and a pump woeks way different than baby does on your breast as well as other hormonal factors. Trust your body that baby is getting enough!

I agree I could hardly express any milk out yet my daughter seemed to get enough out of me

rocmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2009 at 8:17am

Thanks for the feedback.

Im returning to work part time and wanted to express some for when she is at the sitter's house.

So what i express may be enough for her in that respect.

Great

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2009 at 2:28pm
Awesome.

Some other tips.

Express first thing in the morning when your breasts are at their fullest, and try to express about an hour after you last fed at other times.
mummymonster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummymonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2009 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Chickoin Chickoin wrote:

Richtea, my MW told me that when she starts doing 'butterfly sucks' - when she sorta quivers her chin - she's finished feeding and just comfort sucking.

You're kidding! I thought that it was when my breasts were running out of milk and the little guy was trying to convince them to let down some more (I don't feel this 'let down' thing).
From Wed last week (6wk), he's been getting really fussy on the breast. And when I express I've gone from getting 80-100ml to getting 30-40ml and was thinking that I was running out and that's what all the fuss is about.
I've just finished having him on for about 1 hr - thinking he was starving.

Other than that - anyone else had this step backward with expressing? I wanted a bottle for his evening feed the other day, it took 4 lots of expressing throughout the day to get 100ml. A week ago (when he was 5wks) I could get 100ml+ in one morning express. Where's all the milk gone?
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2009 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by IsaacsMum IsaacsMum wrote:

Originally posted by Chickoin Chickoin wrote:

Richtea, my MW told me that when she starts doing 'butterfly sucks' - when she sorta quivers her chin - she's finished feeding and just comfort sucking.

You're kidding! I thought that it was when my breasts were running out of milk and the little guy was trying to convince them to let down some more (I don't feel this 'let down' thing).
From Wed last week (6wk), he's been getting really fussy on the breast. And when I express I've gone from getting 80-100ml to getting 30-40ml and was thinking that I was running out and that's what all the fuss is about.
I've just finished having him on for about 1 hr - thinking he was starving.

Other than that - anyone else had this step backward with expressing? I wanted a bottle for his evening feed the other day, it took 4 lots of expressing throughout the day to get 100ml. A week ago (when he was 5wks) I could get 100ml+ in one morning express. Where's all the milk gone?

Isaacsmum, your milk supply would have settled down in the last few days (usually happens around the 6 week mark) nothing at all to worry about!
In the early days I could easily get 150-250mls in 10minutes, these days its more like 100mls in 10-15mins, sometimes as little as 30-40mls.

ETA - and don't worry about the let-down or lack of, I'm exactly the same, only have them periodically. Just listen out to hear bubs sucking and swallowing.
Also remember BABY is the BEST EXPRESSOR, not a breast pump. I often find that I can only get out a small amount with my pump then I can pop DD on there where she takes a full feed and some

Edited by Mamma2N
amykt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amykt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 8:23am
Hi Guys, Jaxon is 5 weeks old and had great weight gain the first 3 weeks. However, the last 2 weeks he's only put on 80g total. He's a really regular feeder (2 hourly during the day, and 2 feeds during the night) but obviously my milk supply isn't enough despite the regular feedings.

I've grabbed your biscuit recipe and noted the suggestions of chocolate, almonds, oatmeal, and gingerbeer. Is there any other advice out there to help increase milk supply? I've started having to give him a couple of formula top-ups because he's still hungry after finishing off both boobs.

I really would like to continue breastfeeding but sometimes feel like so much of my time and effort is consumed with the feeding side of things that I'm not 'enjoying' Jaxon as much as I should be.

Any advice would be appreciated!
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 8:40am
amykt, if I was you, I'd drop the formula top-ups, and leave Jaxon on the breast for longer - this will give him more of the valuable hindmilk, and stimulate more milk production. Milk is a supply and demand thing, if you're giving formula your body doesn't need to produce that milk. Your boobs are never empty (even though they will feel it sometimes), the fullness is foremilk, which is designed to satisfy thirst, and once that is finished your body starts producing hindmilk, which is rich and fatty and satisfies hunger, but you have to feed for longer to get this.
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Flutterby Flutterby wrote:

amykt, if I was you, I'd drop the formula top-ups, and leave Jaxon on the breast for longer - this will give him more of the valuable hindmilk, and stimulate more milk production. Milk is a supply and demand thing, if you're giving formula your body doesn't need to produce that milk. Your boobs are never empty (even though they will feel it sometimes), the fullness is foremilk, which is designed to satisfy thirst, and once that is finished your body starts producing hindmilk, which is rich and fatty and satisfies hunger, but you have to feed for longer to get this.

Couldn't agree more. Also are you particularly worried about his weight gains? I know that my wee girl would have great weight gains for a few weeks and sometimes she wouldn't put on anything for 2-3 weeks! She did however grow in length & head circum. She has always been happy & healthy with lots of wet/dirty naps, so there hasn't been cause for worry.
amykt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amykt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 10:59am
I leave him on for as long as possible - until he's totally asleep and no amount of tickling or cold flannels wake him up. Then I'll put him down to bed and he'll wake a short time later still hungry even though he was on the breast earlier for ages.

When we gave him a formula top-up yesterday after his feed, he slept for a solid good 4 hours afterwards so it looked like he was much more satisfied.

I will continue to put him on my breast as often and for as long as possible to try and increase my supply, but I guess at the end of the day if he's not getting enough there's not much more I can try?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 20>