FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTips for Breastfeeding and Milk Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 20>
Author
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 11:47am
Babies often sleep longer after formula because it is harder to digest - breastmilk is digested fairly quickly because it's a perfect food. This tricks mums into thinking that baby is satisfied by formula - not actually the case, it just takes longer to digest and the little bodies have to work really hard to get the goodness! Babies have to be asleep to digest food properly. Your baby will do better on breastmilk, but it can be hard work for you.
Sponsored Links

?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 10:34am
So glad I found this thread when i did because I was really starting to struggle at the beginning of this week. Feeding two babies was starting to really take its toll on me so reading these posts helped to keep me focused on what I wanted to achieve, and that is full BFing my girls.

The problem is that despite having some fantastic support from a LC I am still having trouble getting them to latch on my left breast. Which is owchy. I have treated it for thrush, which has helped but it's still sore. I still can't get them on together without them causing me pain and some degree of damage which means feeds take so much longer. Topped off with Violette being a refux baby I get very very little sleep especially with the demands of my little vampires cluster feeding through the night.

I am going to make those cookies!! and a good tip with the 'butterfly sucking'
Captain Chaos (5) & the Trouble Monsters (2!)
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 8:13pm
This is a great thread, Im loving the information and advice.

Originally posted by Flutterby Flutterby wrote:

Your boobs are never empty (even though they will feel it sometimes),

I was starting to think that Jackson wasnt getting enough milk from me and would change side. Now I will leave him on the same side longer. Thanks Flutterby.
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 10:38pm
I'm doing a breastfeeding peer counselling course at the mo and one of the things the coordinator is fond of saying is "they're a production line, not a storage warehouse" - I thought that was a great way of putting it

Emiloly, great to hear you've got support from a LC (are you still seeing her?), hope that troublesome lefty gets sorted soon

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
amykt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amykt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 4:04pm
Hey - I'm just about to make those lactation cookies, but does anyone know where you get FLAXSEED MEAL and BREWERS YEAST from? Can they be found in the supermarket or do you have to get them from a special store? Thanks!
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 5:27pm
You can get brewer's yeast from health food shops. TBH I haven't looked for it at the supermarket, I suppose it's possible you could get it there (maybe with the homebrew stuff?). The recipe still works with ordinary yeast but it doesn't have the same benefit - brewer's yeast is very high in Vitamin B.

I use LSA (Linseed, Sunflower & Almond) instead of Flaxseed Meal, and at least double the quantity. You can get that in most supermarkets

?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 10:55pm
Yup I'm still seeing the LC. Not willing to give up the support just yet! She is coming next week to help me work on the tandem feeding. Left nipple still feels rather ouchy but Violettes latch is much better so that helps.

Good point about the flax seed, I was thinking just using Linseed which is flax seed anyhow I think? I'm pretty sure I can get some brewers yeast from my FIL as he is Master Brewer here in Auckland.
Rashika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rashika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 7:42am
Yes, Flaxseed is linseed, and a lot of asian/indian shops will sell it ground up in bulk. Healtheries also make brewers yeast, a few supermarkets will stock it.
Go you Emiloly! It must be really hard work feeding 2 at a time, my hat goes off to you.
Jan 08 :angel:

princesspumpkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princesspumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 5:16pm
Hello! My milk didn't come in properly when my little guy was born (admitted to hospital with 20% loss of birth weight ), and what finally got me working properly was acupuncture. It made me into a milk machine, even ended up with mastitis a couple of times!

I also still drink a breastfeeding herbal tea each day (chamomile, raspberry leaf, fennel, nettle, fenugreek) and used to take a blessed thistle tincture which was really effective.

They did put me on domperidone, but I don't think it did a whole lot (and I stopped taking it when I started having acupuncture...don't tell the dr!)
mummymonster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummymonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2009 at 6:17pm
Re the breastmilk boosting cookies at the begining of this thread. . .

If I can't find brewers yeast, what else can I use?
Is bread yeast, dry yeast, or savory yeast good enough?

I remember (long ago) eating savory yeast on buttered bread. Any chance that yeast would increase my supply?
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2009 at 8:48pm
If you pop into the local bottle store, they often have brewing supplies and you'll get brewer's yeast there.
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2009 at 8:57pm
Brewer's yeast is particularly good because it's high in Vitamin B - other types of yeast don't have the same benefit. But if you can't find it then the biscuits come out fine with normal yeast, and you will still get the benefits of the oats and linseed

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2009 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by weegee weegee wrote:

I'm doing a breastfeeding peer counselling course at the mo and one of the things the coordinator is fond of saying is "they're a production line, not a storage warehouse" - I thought that was a great way of putting it

Emiloly, great to hear you've got support from a LC (are you still seeing her?), hope that troublesome lefty gets sorted soon

lol was that Anne or Heather? I use that saying all the time in my lessons!!
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2009 at 10:05pm
Her name's Claire, but she might have picked it up off one of them in the first place

amykt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amykt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2009 at 8:29am
IsaacsMum, you can get Brewers Yeast here. I'm not sure where you're located, but the actual shop is in Glenfield, North Shore, Auckland, or you can just buy online....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2009 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by fattartsrock fattartsrock wrote:

lol was that Anne or Heather? I use that saying all the time in my lessons!!

Lol I just read your post properly. I am a co ordinator, I did the admin course, which is where your tutor would have heard it too. hope you are enjoying it! I just ran a class today.
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2009 at 3:08pm
Graduated this morning! Really enjoyed it although TBH we didn't really learn that much that I didn't already know. Asked her this morning and apparently it was Heather

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2009 at 11:08pm

Graduated this morning! Really enjoyed it although TBH we didn't really learn that much that I didn't already know. Asked her this morning and apparently it was Heather

Yep the whole point of it is to reinforce with some actual information what you already know!
Heather is awesome.Those ladies who run the PCPA course are super cool.
?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2009 at 8:33am
I just though I was stop in to let you girls know that I am still exclusively BFing my girls. No more nipple pain but they are still both crappy latchers, I just hope that they get better at it as they grow.

I just wanted to say that I am hungry ALL the time and its starting to wear on me a bit. I read somewhere that breast feeding burns on average 500calories a day for one child so this much mean I am using up at least 1000.
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2009 at 9:03am
Awesome work Emiloly! I get you on the eating front - I eat more than my DH (and I only have the one baby!)
Anyway, good on you - what a great inspiration you are!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 20>