FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTips for Breastfeeding and Milk Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 20>
Author
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2009 at 10:09am
Their latches will improve. James was a lousy latcher (or should that have been lazy latcher). It got to the point where i could still feel that it hurt but it was 99% bearable. Then all of a sudden I realised it didnt hurt at all.....and that was when he was about 6-7 months old...and then he got teeth   i got bitten badly for the first time at 3am this morning....it HURT!!!!

I think mums who tandem BF their twins are absolutely amazing!!!! Keep at it!!
Sponsored Links

Disco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2010 at 2:03pm
I've been breast feeding for about 8 wks now and had mastitis at about 4 weeks which has cleared up and most of the time breast feeding is going well apart from about once a week I get a blocked milk duct which hurts like hell and can take me all day feeding to get rid of it. I was wondering if the occurrences might lessen and eventually stop over time.

When I get a blocked duct after its cleared my boobs feel really tender like they've been punched and it really takes it out of me.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to help stop it happening in the first place. I am taking lecithin as it's supposed to help, along with vitamin c. I use frozen flannels to help reduce the pain as well as sometimes using a hot wheat pack or cabbage leaves. I feed regularly and check for any lumps/blocks that might be forming.

I really want to keep breastfeeding for as long as possible and the blocked milk ducts is spoiling it.

disco
Ella1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2010 at 11:22pm
Hi Disco, my mw told me NOT to use cabbage leaves, cause apparently they lessen your milk supply.

Massaging the area while having a shower helped a bit, but what helped best for me was massaging the area while Mika was feeding.

I don't know what you are wearing, but I remember the lady who did the BF classes told us BF singlets cause a lot of problems, cause they have those round cut-outs, and when your boobs get engorged the edges of those cut-outs press in your boobs and cause blockages. (I never wore them cause I couldn't find one that fit, so don't know whether she was right or not)

Good luck
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2010 at 8:44am
Hi Disco, there's a whole bunch of things that can cause blocked milk ducts. There was a recent thread about it here, here's what I said about it over there:
Originally posted by weegee weegee wrote:

What a PITA!

There are lots of things you can do to prevent them. Some things that can cause blocked ducts are wearing underwire (or too small) bras, holding the breast with your fingers when breastfeeding to make space for the baby to breathe (you shouldn't need to do that, or make the "hamburger" any more), use of a nipple shield, any exercise that requires repetitive movements of the upper arm (been playing tennis or doing weights?), cutting short or interrupting feedings...

Otherwise it can generally be an indication that attachment needs to be improved. If you have largeish breasts then sometimes supporting the boob from underneath can help to promote better drainage, you can use a rolled up flannel or small towel if need be.

If you're prone to blocked ducts and there's nothing that you can specifically identify that might be causing it then varying the position you feed in can help. If you usually feed sitting up, trying lying down, if you normally use the cradle hold, try the football hold, etc. If it keeps happening it might be worth going along to a La Leche League meeting and asking them to check your positioning.

Apparently taking Vitamin C supplements, lecithin supplements, making sure you're getting enough fluids and not too much saturated fat in your diet can also help.

As always there's a useful page over on kellymom

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2010 at 3:15pm
Interestingly i was reading in a LLL book this morning that blocked ducts/mastitis is almost always the result of a faulty (gotta love that word) letdown.

But this is what they say on fixing it. Hot compresses & frequent feedings off the affected breast.

They also say that mastitis in early lactation may be because their let down reflex is not efficient. In later lactation it is often association with emotional crisis. Ie shock.

Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 10:20pm
Hey guys just want to 'bend your ears' as it were for some advice.

My little girl is a terrible latcher - she doesn't draw the breast in deeply enough to get to the soft palate although she's almost there now. My other daughter was exactly the same. Unfortunately this time the hospital MW's did such a great job of munting my boobs in hospital (came out with 1 very badly cracked and 1 with 3 blisters on it) because they didn't want me to use shields that by the time I realised the pain was because she wasn't latching and not because I had badly damaged nipples I had lost my milk (end of the second week) and she had only gained 100gms.

So I've been on domperidone which I don't know does that much for me TBH and she has had top ups after every feed of EBM or formula if required. We've managed to stop doing the top ups as of last week but I find if I don't express at least twice a day then I seem to have a large drop in my milk. I'm basing this on how frequently she feeds from me during the day but the MW and Doc have both said that while I'm using shields I must express to keep my supply. Also the amount I can express drops to about 40mls as opposed to 120mls in 30 minutes. I know you guys have said not to judge it by what comes out with the pump but surely if it's fluctuating like that it would be an indicator?

But the big issue is that in the morning when she's hungry I seem to have the lowest milk supply which is contrary to what it should be isn't it? Short of pumping during the night I was wondering if anyone had tips for boosting the supply for the morning. She does do 1 or 2 feeds during the night but I still don't think her latch is that good plus she's still on the shields (hoping to drop those over the next month)

I may be being totally paranoid here as with DD #1 I had an awesome milk supply and fed successfully until she was about 18 months so this is all totally new and nerve wracking for me (as I'm sure it is for anyone in this situation).

ETA: I'll give the cookies or tiger milk a go if you guys think I can do that while on the domperidone??

Edited by Bobbie

CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 8:39am
Kate, I am the same, really low supply in the morning! Which is weird as! I end up topping him up then, and he usually drinks a full 120mls. Yet at night, I am quite full and its rare he needs a bottle then.

We have just got back from holiday. Had an awesome time in Napier/Hastings. The weather was the BOMB! Its sunny here today which is good but the temp is no where near the 27 we enjoyed while away.

Both the kids travelled really well and Cam was really good the whole time, slept 5 hours straight every night (which is more than I can say for last night when we got home - only 3 in a row).

Hope everyone is well, I need to read through everyone's posts in more detail but plunket is due soon. Ill update when I have a chance to see how my piggly wiggly is doing...

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 9:18am
That's good to know it's not just me - I thought maybe it was because I take my last domperidone at 10pm or something.

Actually I came on here to apologise for such ramblings last night - I don't know if it even makes any sense.

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 1:58pm
Have been pondering this one. It could still be a latch issue - lots of babies seem to latch better when they're tired/sleepy/less hungry. So maybe in the morning when she's hungry she doesn't latch as well so doesn't remove milk as effectively, and maybe your boobs have adjusted (they're 'good' like that! ) to not produce as much milk in the mornings because they're used to not having as much milk effectively removed. So I guess it means having to work harder to get that perfect latch in the mornings (easier said than done with a hungry bubba I know).

Your 'ramblings' made perfect sense to me

Don't see why the cookies or tigers milk couldn't work while you're on the domperidone. (I need to boost my supply atm too - pregnancy seems to be making mine drop finally, as I was warned it would - but unfortunately of course I can't have the tigers milk cos of the raw egg thing.)

You could try fennel tea - fennel helps boost letdown rather than increasnig supply as such iygwim - that might help with the expressing (when you don't get much when it expressing it can often be a letdown problem rather than supply).

Hate to say it but apparently (I wouldn't be game personally, just saying!) expressing in the small hours of the morning works well

You probably know this, but supplementing in the morning rather than letting her cluster feed (even if with EBM) will only compound the issue... so it's awesome you've managed to stop the top ups, yay you!

Nipple shields do result in reduced breast stimulation so won't be helping, I know they're necessary right now but weaning off them is a good idea. (As always I seem to remember kellymom has a page on that - too lazy right now to find and link to it . I remember reading it because it included tips like applying ice to your nipple to harden it before latching baby! Eeek!)

Hopefully you've been able to see a lactation consultant? I'm only a lay person but I do have a shiny certificate for my peer counselling thing, I'd be happy to come by and see if I have any insights on getting her latched better

This might sound a bit random but there are some extra things that can be interfering with increasing your milk supply - you're not anaemic are you?

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 1:59pm
hmm, ignore me on the tiger's milk thing, I found a different recipe that doesn't have raw egg in it (only banana which I hate )

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 5:51pm
That's awesome weegee - thanks for your response. Yes she is a bad latcher - I used to have flat nipples before I BF Rowan and she has a high and small palate apparently so the two in combo don't work well.

I've just had to give her a top up as after a week of no probs she was tired, unsettled and had green nappies this afternoon and was fussing at the breast. So I think my milk has well and truly dropped.

Interestingly I tried her last week for a feed with no shield at the beginning of a feed and she was fine. Tried her today after half a feed (so nipple was well formed) and she couldn't take it in properly. I wonder if she's adjusted her latch.

I had a situation a while back where she started sucking more strongly and I got engorged and all systems were go and then I pretty much lost all my milk. I think what had happened was that when the milk came in properly she didn't have to work as hard and got lazy so made everything worse IYKWIM and I wonder if she's doing that again. Of course when milk comes in properly and you're on shields she gets 'free' milk sitting there.

I saw a lactation consultant in hospital, plus my MW and now am with my Plunket Nurse and Doc who are both Lac Consults. My Doc is very anti anything other than the breast which doesn't help my situation as we've tried that and it doesn't work but my Plunket Nurse is awesome and has given me some great tips so far. Problem is I don't see her again until next Tues.

Also they haven't really checked my latch I guess because I'm using shields. Just checked for tongue tie and checked her mouth and my nipples and then just worked out a feeding plan (2 feeds purely by bottle each day with large holes in the teats to make it fast flow)

Hmm I'll try the fennel tea as I've noticed my letdown is quite slow now but even when it's there the milk is only dribbling out really. It used to have a couple of jets going into the pump (as in last week).

Also I've been pumping 3 times a day but only for 10 mins a side as that's all the time I can spare and I think that's part of the issue as before I was pumping to get volume for her top ups so I was going up to 45 mins to get 100mls.

I don't think I'm anemic. Never have been and I'm taking complan every morning. But I'm constantly starving at the moment which would fit with her feeding all the time except I would expect to producing more.

Whew what a novel! You can see my predicament - I really don't know where to go from here. I need to wean off the shields ASAP I think but she seems too weak still to manage it.

ETA: Ok I've just pumped 110ml in 25 mins so now I'm really confused. Seems my milk is there again now???

Edited by Bobbie

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 7:24pm
I can see how time would be an issue with two to run around after! When you're expressing to increase supply you need to pump for 2-5 mins after the milk stops flowing (ouch says I, but that's the official word ).

Don't rush weaning off the shields - take it slowly. If you want to try her off them, do it when she's really dozy if possible

This may be totally presumptuous of me but it might be a letdown issue rather than a supply issue and the big thing about that is to not stress out (also easier said than done) - been there, done that. Unfortunately the more worked up you get about the milk not pouring out the more likely your boobs are to clam up, so to speak!

It IS normal though for your letdown to slow a bit at around this point so I could be talking out of a hole in my head too

Awesome that the PN and doc are both lactation consultants so glad to hear you have support that way. Do you know why the PN suggested fast flow teats for the bottles? Was she sleepy? Just from what I've read if you want little babies to continue with the breast it's a good idea to make them work for their bottles so they don't get lazy iygwim. But like I said I'm no expert!

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 10:56pm
Yeah she was really sleepy to begin with. As in too weak and sleepy to feed from the breast at all really and it was taking her about 30 minutes to feed out of a bottle with 80ml in it. But now she's older, her getting lazy is something I have been worrying about which is why I've been glad we've been dropping the top ups. However we usually do the full bottle EBM feed when she's not had a good sleep as otherwise she falls asleep on the boob (she's a day catnapper which is probably linked to the feeding but of course it compounds the issue).

Thanks for the info about expressing. That explains so much. I'll try and do that at least in the morning and evening when DH is at home and if I can't do the middle of the day I should be ok. But yes, Ouch!

Totally could be a letdown issue. I do get really stressed and paranoid watching the milk or lack thereof flow into the bottle. I'm definitely going to give the fennel tea a try.

Oh and just made the lactation cookies which are yummo. I will also put some of the LSA into my complan.

Edited by Bobbie

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 12:45pm
Sod's law. Last night she decided to go on a feeding strike. Tried for half an hour to give her the boob and she wouldn't even latch then we offered a bottle and she wouldn't take that either. So I pumped off and this morning after a considerable battle she took the boob. I'm dreading the next feed.

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 9:57am
Can someone shed some light on the rationale for offering one or both breasts at a feed? How empty should they be before you switch?

I'd been working to the theory that I feed on a side until if I were a cow I'd be let off the platform but if they keep producing all the time is that right?

I've been feeling like i don't have enough, but i know thats probably not the case?

Edited by T_Rex
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 4:11pm
I'm an advocate of offering one breast at a feed - it ensures that one boob is emptied properly (which helps maintain supply) and helps baby get enough hindmilk (the good fatty stuff that comes after the thirst quenching foremilk). Even when your boob feels empty, as long as baby is sucking you will be producing milk. I only ever offered the second boob if it was for my comfort, or if it was the night time feed.
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 8:46am
Thanks FreeSpirit (Flutterby is that you?). I've been doing that for the last day or so and I do seem to have a more contented baby

Hehe, not worried about the supply anymore - she's obviously successfully increased it if the giant boobs I woke up with this morning are anything to go by
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 11:32am
She''ll be more content on one boob because too much foremilk gives them a tummy ache, and the hindmilk really is the satisfying stuff.
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 1:47pm
Just a thought, if you are only offering one boob per feed then that means your other boob doesnt get used/emptied/replenished for 6 hours approx and then vice versa.

This is just from my experience but I was feeding Jackson from one boob at the beginning but he wasnt gaining well as well as not sleeping or settling well and I also got mastitis so went to both boobs per feed and has since been much better.

I think bubs will get your hind milk anyways if you are feeding on both sides long enough
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by rianna08 rianna08 wrote:

Just a thought, if you are only offering one boob per feed then that means your other boob doesnt get used/emptied/replenished for 6 hours approx and then vice versa.

This is just from my experience but I was feeding Jackson from one boob at the beginning but he wasnt gaining well as well as not sleeping or settling well and I also got mastitis so went to both boobs per feed and has since been much better.

I think bubs will get your hind milk anyways if you are feeding on both sides long enough

But that is if you're schedule feeding. We only do one boob at a time but are cue-feeding. We do basically as Freespirit has described. No supply/weight gain/infections etc to worry about. I also work one day a week, where I don't feed/express for up to 10 hours - no problems with supply, for the next day or two she may feed a little more. I assume that is because we don't schedule feed and my body has just adjusted accordingly. I'm no expert, but I suspect if you're feeding a new born baby one side every 3 hours then there could very well be a lack of weight gain. This was something my MW very strongly advised me against doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 20>