FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMama Pads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2007 at 8:47am
oh.... off to look at moon cups

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
Sponsored Links

Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2007 at 8:12pm
I still haven't got my period since having Brenna and have been trying to avoid this thread cause I always just thought eewwww.
BUT! I have to say that my nosey-ness got the better of me and now that I have read what you all have to say I'm actually quite intrigued (spl??)... I'd never heard of a mooncup before and they sound like such a good idea. My only worry is that at $55 I just think that if I get it and don't like it, I've wasted alot of money (we are on a tight budget at the moment due to one income and all that...)
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2007 at 8:37pm
I can honestly say that i have only ever heard of one person not liking their mooncup. Yes they do take a little practice and a little getting used to inserting etc...but honestly, I'd be surprised if you didn't end up loving it. This has only been my second cycle using mine...i only had one leak and only had to empty once per day! And as I keep harping on about...no money on tampons!! (jesh I love that!!!)

Oh my period lasted only 4 days....normally I'm a 7 day girl...so again....they really can lighten periods!

Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2007 at 9:13pm
I don't understand how they can make a period lighter???? Does anyone know why this is?

Paws - I hope this isn't too much of a personal Q, but how heavy was your flow to only have to empty once per day? It sounds too good to be true! I hate changing tampons...especially at work!
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2007 at 7:22am
Bah! Once you've had kids nothing is too personal!!! My flow was about average...a moon cup holds about 15ml which is acually a lot.

i think the bit about them making flow lighter is to do with nothing irratating the cervix....I'll see if I can track the info for ya all.

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2007 at 7:32am
Here is one lot of info I got off the www.redrag.co.nzsite.

According to the Women's Environmental Network (UK) Toxic Shock Syndrome has been linked to the use of super-absorbent and newer, less absorbent tampons made of viscose rayon, both with and without cotton. SEAC Tampaction claims that artificial fibers (like rayon) used in tampons are abrasive, so when a tampon lengthens it pushes against the cervical area, causing tiny cuts and imbedding pieces into the tissue. This has been traced as the probable cause of Toxic Shock Syndrome and has been shown to damage the vaginal walls by causing ulceration and peeling of the mucous membrane.

Disposables made from synthetic materials can often cause sensitivities. Many women experience a reduction in yeast infections when they switch to cloth pads. Women have also reported less cramping and lighter bleeding. Red Rags are soft, don't sweat and will not cause chafing or irritate your skin.

Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2007 at 9:38am
wow Paws great info. Im WAS the same as Anna, unsure about the price if I decide i dont like it. After a little reading, I have decided its a great way to go and have emailed the link to all my girlfriends too

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
LemonNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LemonNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2007 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Two Blondinis Two Blondinis wrote:

so... if you're out and about and need to empty it, where do you rinse the moon cup? in the public bathroom? or does the water have to be sterile?

I'm not convinced on the hygiene side I'm sorry.

I'm going to get some FBs cloth pads with my next comms pay, just enough to give them a go and decide from there. I don't think it would be any worse than dealing with a cloth nappy after a sh*tty explosion

Yeah love all the questions...

I use both pads and mooncup. There is a Divacup also but I am senstive to rubber so went the silicone way.

If out and the bathrooms are dodgy I never rinse just empty it out and put it back in...(it all came out of me afterall!) You are far more likely to end up with problems from something you picked up from dirty bathrooms than your own body. At home I take it out and give it a good rinse under the hot tap. It can also be boiled to sterilise it but lets face it you don't know who the last person was to touch the tampons you use and you don't sterilise them first.

I used FBs pads after my son and while I was so glad of them over the plastic disposable ones I would suggest you try a mixture of fabrics to see which suits you best. I didn't need them for long but was glad to downsize to my hemp/cotton Outrageous Pads from www.greenbeans.co.nz as the all synthetics of the FBs in summer was a little hot sweaty.

Also check out www.redrag.co.nz for some awesome fabrics and designs.
LemonNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LemonNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2007 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by nikkiwhyte nikkiwhyte wrote:

P.S. As soon as the guy next to me leaves the uni computer room, I'm buying a moon cup. Just don't want him glancing at me any weirder than he already is!

Nikki did you buy one? Did you know that Commonsense Organics just down the hill from you sell them?
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2007 at 8:25am
Hi Lemon!! Cool to see you over here! *insert wavey guy*

Anna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2007 at 9:16am
Just thought I'd add something here!

I bought a mooncup. And I LOVE IT! I have a reasonably heavy period and was a bit concerned about if the mooncup would do the trick. It worked brilliantly!

I bought it via trade me, a trader named kamitchell. Service was impressive. My eyes almost bugged out of my head when it arrived, it looks a lot bigger than I expected!

But when it came time to try it it was great! No leaks, no problems at all.

And I love that I don't have to fritter $$ away on tampons etc anymore.

Seriously recommend it to anyone! Absolutely worth the $50-something spent!
Anna

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2007 at 11:16am
Yay Anna! Glad to hear you joined us with the moncups....they really do rock!

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2007 at 1:55pm
Anna - right with ya on that one. Using my mooncup for the first time this week and YAAAAAYYYYY! So much better than tampons.

And yeah, I ended up getting mine from Go with the moon as they had an online credit card payment option.

I was worried that there would be a huge markup down at commonsense. Oh yeah, and Michelle, must come see you about some SLS-free bubble bath for monkey kid. Will email you when I get organised.
BabyHarmony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyHarmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 11:44pm
Oh, I just wanna add that I love my DIVA CUP!!! I've tried both the Diva Cup (it is silicone) and the Moon cup and I have to admit that I do much prefer the Diva Cup. It's a slightly longer cup but has a way shorter stem thats tappered so it doesn't dig in to your skin folds when you sit. I found I had to trim my Moon cup stem heaps to make it comfortable. I'm hoping to retail the Diva cup on my website in the not too distant future. The price was about the same $55 or so.(I got mine from Canada)so it's well worth the effort it takes to master the trick of inserting it. I got frustrated with it and gave up on it after my first attempt as it was so uncomfortable, but I decided I wasn't going to waste $55 so I gave it another go and Bam! it worked and I've never looked back. Persistence is the key!!! When I'm out I usually try to find/use the handicapped toilet as they often have a sink in them.
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 7:22am
Yay Meredith! Sounds like you are getting heaps of cool new products (I've just been reading through your newletter )

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 7:00pm
I looked at the Diva cup but decided to go with the moon as I hadn't heard much about Diva... sounds pretty good though.

I trimmed the stem off first go and left about 0.5cm.. that seems to be fine.

And my period was only 4 days long! Result of the mooncup??? I don't know, but I'm not gonna question it - yay!!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 7:25pm
Ew, what's with Red Rag's logo!!
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 9:12pm
What's wrong with it?? Am I missing something??

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 9:25pm
Maybe I read too much into it but it looks almost like a *map*?
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 9:35pm
Hmmmmmm i thought it looked like an arty flower.... Now it's going to bug me....might have to ask Helen what it is meant to be.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123