FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat washing powder is best?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What washing powder is best?
    Posted: 04 April 2007 at 3:13pm
Hi there, what washing powder is best for washing cloth nappies in? Normal cold water? Eco store? or persil?? We have been using the eco store powder, but then again would it matter if we used something else? any suggestions?
Sponsored Links

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2007 at 3:18pm
I use eco store and love it!

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2007 at 4:15pm
last month i would have said persil is great - but they have changed the perfume now and i dont like the smell...but i think so long as you make sure they are rinsed well and you dont put too much powder in with them any good powder will do.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2007 at 4:59pm
We use Next Generation but I know a lot of people seem to like the Ecostore.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2007 at 7:59pm
Where do you get ecostore from???
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
Lisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2007 at 8:06pm
All supermarkets, it's in a small white box, it's about $8.00 per kg, bit expensive, but you only use about 1 scoop, which is 40mls, its concentrated stuff and really great, lasts alot longer than most other washing powders, and it doesn't seem to add that extra bulk to clothes like others do, it's really nice.
jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2007 at 9:40pm
I use the EcoStore stuff too and love it, no build up really, and only need about half a scoop for a full load of nappies - or a full scoop for a really dirty load.
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2007 at 10:00pm
I got a couple of Ecostore samples in my Bounty pack and everything came through still stinky! Why's everyone raving about it when it doesn't work for me???? I'm so confused lol!

I always used to use cold power/surf but since changing to MCN I've gone with Persil 'cause it's apparently better for them. I have noticed that it's a lot less linty, haven't got a pack of the new smell yet so can't offer a second opinion on g&t's comment
Megan3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2007 at 10:40pm
I use Persil Sensitive because I think that my boy's skin reacted to the ecostore powder. I use half the amount recommended on the box.
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2007 at 8:51am
I was recommended ecostore for cloth naps but told to only use half the normal dose.

Busymum - I have been trying it out on our normal clothes and it took a bit to get used to. I didnt think things smelt right either but I persisted and now I think my clothes smell really fresh. I think it took a while to get used to them not smelling "ocean fresh" or "pine fresh".

Anyway I am really impressed at how long it lasts....definately value for money.
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2007 at 12:51pm
If you use Ecostore then you need to use the recommended amount of powder. If you use any other brand, then halve the recommended amount.

We use Ecostore liquid (I get it refilled at the health shop) and I love it! Lasts ages too.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2007 at 3:55pm
I use persil sensitive, it has no smell then add tea tree oil if I think things are needing a really good freshen up. Seems to work really well
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
LemonNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LemonNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2007 at 10:59pm
I have used all of the above but now stick to liquid over powders for 2 reasons. It is less likely to NOT rince out like powders can if not dissolved properly and the price!!!

We use Earthwise brand liquid and 15mls is enough to wash a full machine of nappies.

I can understand the "not smelling right" phobias that some people have. I had a Mum who used Lemon Fresh Cold Powder so everything felt soapy and smelled like Lemons.

I love Ecostore and used it on my DD but DS was skin tested and sensitive to grapefruit oils that is in Ecostore. I love that it is all natural but we have to remember that our kids can react to things natural just as much as nasty chemicals if that way inclined.

HTHs
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 8:54pm
I tried Eco Store but because I have freakin weird allergies to plant stuff it made me break out in a rash and also made my nose run (same with all of their products unfortunately). Caitlin and DH were both fine though.

I just wash mine with half a scoop of persil. I'm still going through a big bag of persil so haven't discovered the new smell yet. What does it smell of?
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2007 at 9:10am
we used ecostore - I didn;t notice, but my mum didn't like the smell. we use whatever is on sale now - for front loaders. We also put in baking soda as a pre-wash and vinegar as the fabric softener and once a fortnight wash in hot water. if you go to the ecostore website you can get a sample AND a $2 off coupon for the supermarket!
 Post Reply Post Reply