FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLittle potty chair or kiddie toilet seat?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Little potty chair or kiddie toilet seat?
    Posted: 16 April 2007 at 7:40pm

I'm not thinking about toilet training Em yet (she's waaaaay too young) but I was wondering, do most people use little potty chairs or those kiddie toilet seats that fit on top of the big toilet? What are the pros and cons of each? How did you decide what one to get (the ones with the "wee guards" on the front, the ones that make noises when they "go", etc.)?

Sponsored Links

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2007 at 7:53pm
I just bought at the weekend a seat to put under the toilet seat, and a regular old styles potty, and a stool. Jacob is very interested in wee wees. I guess it is personal choise. I just sit him on the loo on the seat when he comes and says wees and is pulling at his nappy (probably shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, but he will get the idea) and before bathtime, after tea, i sit him on the potty and say you can do wee wees and poos on here. He is a bit young as well, but I am just integrating it into daily life kinda like the big bed thing in the hope he will of his own accord be keen on trying it at some stage.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2007 at 9:26pm
We were using both for Ethan, but found the potty better for him. When he was old enuf to use the regular loo, the "potty fairy" came and took his potty away to give to another child, but left a Bob the Builder Scooter in its place. (He was esperate for a scooter..) We never heard anything about wanting to use the potty after that!
formerly known as "Bee"

Ethan ~ March 2003 Big 6 year old school boy!
Micah ~ Aug 2008 ~ Smiley pants who loves telephones!
Anna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2007 at 7:42am
I asked about this in the Baby factory. And despite their service being questionable (don't get me started!) the advice the gave made sense to me.

She said get a potty because when they are learning it is harder to get to the toilet, get clothes off and get up on the toilet to go. If you have a potty you can keep it somewhere close by.

Anna

my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2007 at 8:43am
we used a seat that had a wee ladder attached so he could climb up himself. used the potty for emergencies and left one in the car too just incase but i didnt really like the potty and Kobe never had a fear of the toilet for wees or poos. He still sometimes uses his wee seat, it has handles at the sides and he puts toilet paper through it and calls it his seat belt for the toilet!
nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2007 at 8:43am
We use a potty for that exact reason Anna. We have it in a discrete place and abby just goes and sits on it whenever she needs to go. It has a slide out tray that we empty and can wash, and the top part looks just like a toilet.

The reason we use a potty is because Abby is only two and still thinks the toilet is a fun water play room (Yuck) so she needs to be supervised and sometimes there just isn't enough time to drop what you are doing and run to the toilet. This way she doesn't have to ask and can just go. Once she's over the whole yay water lets play we will get rid of the potty. I like your idea Bee and might follow you lead and offer a treat for the potty.

Edited by vick
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2007 at 8:57am
I am using a potty at the moment but looking for a nice toilet seat as well at the moment. She has used to potty but I am going to use both as she will have to use the toilet eventually plus you dont have cleaning as such to do.

meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2007 at 10:15am
We had a normal potty and decorated it with stickers.
We also have a toilet seat I got from pak n save for $5. It is great. The folding ones are quite useful too as you can take them with you when you go out.

Personally I don't see any point of getting a fancy one

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2007 at 11:00am
good question Katherine, I was wondering that myself!!

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2007 at 11:31am
i had an insert for gabriel but it freaked him out...he preferred the toilet without one and used the stool from the bathroom to get up at first but doesnt anymore. toby also climbs up on the toilet without a stool now too and it is so funny seeing this little under 2 sitting on the loo. i never had a potty cause i hate that they get carted all over the house...
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2007 at 5:19pm
LOL @ Kobe!!

We have both. A potty is easier to take on long trips, and the kids can get onto it without needing help to climb up etc. The seat is a great transition tool, especially once they can wipe on their own and climb with the use of a stool, and it helps them feel more secure - it's a big cliff to fall into!
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2007 at 5:20pm
I didn't use either, my son was terrified of the potty and my daughter went through the whole "I'm a big girl" thing. So both kids were trained straight to the toilet. A friend of mine is using a kids toilet seat not sure where she got it from though.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Post Reply Post Reply