FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNight time disaster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Night time disaster
    Posted: 22 April 2007 at 9:32am
Well, I braved using a MCN at night and man, what a dud it turned out to be!!!! I used a nappy I've used lots before and I had 'hired' a "Mega super soaker" (or someting like that) from baby harmony which is supposed to be fantastic for night.

Anywho.... Brenna woke up this morning SATURATED!! Everything was wet!!! Poor girl

Hmmm...I don't know if I'll try again at night
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
Sponsored Links

Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 9:41am
oh no, poor Brenna
Did the nappy have a stay dry liner that she peed through? or did the nappy just leak? (around legs etc)
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 10:15am
Poor Brenna!!!! I havent tried the night time mcn yet.

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 10:37am
tell us what you used and maybe we can help out...
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 10:49am
What sort of nappy was it?

I stuff my night pockets with a microfibre/hemp insert plus a cloth flat and they rarely leak but the inserts are always sodden so I wouldn't get away with any less than that.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 11:25am
i stuff mine pockets with a prefold and hemp insert that comes with peapods which is enough for both kids for 13hrs.
if you let us know what you had stuffed it with we maybe able to help you. mcn overnight are easy once you get to know what stuffing you need.

Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 6:58pm
It was a bumGenious nappy stuffed with the Baby Harmony "mega super soaker" (or something...). I've got the insert on trial. It said that it's supposed to be all you need for night.

I'm not sure how/where the nappy leaked as both Brenna and ALL her bedding was wet!! She's back in a disp tonight...
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 8:29pm
I know Jess uses the Bum Geniuses and I think they work OK for her, not sure what she stuffs them with tho, and I think she still changes Ella midway thru the night.

I have a friend who's an agent for Baby Harmony (she has posted on here a couple of times, FionaS), I'll ask her and see what she thinks.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 8:48pm
There's no special reason I used the bum genious last night. It's just the first one I grabbed...
I also have FB's, tweedle and baby harmony (if one of these is 'better' I'll give it a go)
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 8:54pm
Is the "super soaker" made from hemp? (I'm not familiar with Harmony inserts).

If it was a new hemp one I know some manufacturers advise to wash it quite a few times before it is any good (6-10 times)

As it was for a trial I'd call them and ask them for advice.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 9:11pm
not sure about this super soaker but all babies are different and there is no one thing that works for all babies.
for my 3 yr old i use a pocket - either a fuzzi or ecobubs or wigglebum with a microfibre insert and a flat. this does him all night.

some people need more than that tho. the thing with pockets for nights is that sometimes if they are stuffed too full they gape around the legs and you need to upsize. somr people find that if they put a wool or fleece cover over their pockets that stops leaks at nights too.      
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 9:29pm
I use two (3 layer) microfibre inserts (like the fuzzi ones) and one 4 layer hemp inset. That lasts us all night. (Didn't last through "super wees" period tho! Argh... that's another story)
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 9:30pm
ok found the info re the mega soaker on their site and i dont think it would be sufficient for night on its own. hemp is a slow absorber and some people find on its own its insufficient. i personally find BKT (burley knit terry) the best for abosrbency. but i have also heard great things about bamboo inserts too.
Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 9:31pm
Yes, the super soaker was hemp. I used it as being a trial, it has already been used before.

I think tomorrow night I'll have a go using my regular inserts with a flat.

This might take a few nights and lots of washing to work out what works for Brenna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 9:32pm
Yeah, I just looked on website too... apart from the slow absorbtion thing, it'd also have to be washed quite a few times before becoming as absorbant as it was meant to.

I'm not suprised the nap was flooded actually

Edited: Ah, just read your comment that it has been used before. Shoots my theory out the window!

Edited by nikkiwhyte

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by rubydooby rubydooby wrote:

This might take a few nights and lots of washing to work out what works for Brenna

Might pay to start overstuffing and then work your way backwards then....?
Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by nikkiwhyte nikkiwhyte wrote:

Might pay to start overstuffing and then work your way backwards then....?

Good idea!
I don't want a repeat of last night! Not only was it a pain in the butt doing all that washing, but my poor wee girl must have been so uncomfortable I felt really guilty this morning

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 9:43pm
Don't worry... same has happened to me, then I went back to disposables but the problem was exactly the same! (So I went back to cloth)

Anyway... a microfibre insert + a flat should be ok... but if you are worried, put an extra microfibre insert or booster.

And like g and t said, watch for gaping around the legs... as if there is any hint of powder buildup on the fleece, there is a chance that the wees could run out the legs.

But honestly, cloth at night has been the only thing that worked for me in the end. Sposies didn't cut it!
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 10:19pm
I'd definately recommend getting in touch with Meredith from Baby Harmony. She'll be able to tell you how many times it's been washed etc. I know people who find it 100% reliable for overnight use but strangely it does seem to depend on the bubs.   We always have to use microfibre with hemp as the hemp doesn't absorb quickly enough for our fast wetter.
BabyHarmony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyHarmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 12:43pm
Oh Dear it's not my day today!!!
I'm soooo sorry Anna,
I should really have sent you some more information on how to try it out for your first time. I will make sure that in future I do give out a more detailed explanation of how to use it. The insert has been used for about two weeks full time, and should almost be at it's maximum absorbency I would think. If you're willing to try it again, use a microfibre insert on top, and let me know how you get on.
I am very sorry to put you through this ordeal,
 Post Reply Post Reply