FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPolar fleece wraps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AuntieSarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polar fleece wraps
    Posted: 23 April 2007 at 7:19pm
Question: I've been looking at lots of different cloth nappies online (ok so I'm very well prepared, won't even be TTC for another 8 months lol) anyway I found some wraps on trademe which are made of polar fleece...which claim to be 'waterproof'. Are they really? I've never thought of polar fleece as a waterproof fabric, maybe water resistant...and from what I see on other sites PUL is the wrap fabric of choice mostly?

Also, I'm thinking of sewing some nappies myself (I'll trial them on my nephew until I have my own bubs lol) has anyone else done this? Where would I find patterns?

Sorry if you've already discussed this, I did do a search but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 7:27pm
The fleece part is the stay dry part of the nappies - that bit wicks the moisture away from the skin and down into the insert (bit between the fleece and the PUL outer).

If they're selling fleece as "waterproof" where does the water go? I know fleece doesn't actually hold moisture, but it has to go somewhere surely?!?!

Btw - I think it's a great idea to start researching and even buying stuff now whilst you can afford it. Makes it heaps easier than having to cram it all in in 9 months

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 7:57pm
They're selling them as wraps, that you put an insert into (they're definitely saying the fleece is the outside bit - I did double check because that was my understanding too, that you have microfleece next to the skin to wick the moisture away from baby and into the absorbant bit and then it's stopped by the PUL on the outside...)

They're here.

Thanks for the reassurance that I'm not mad for researching this stuff now! Think df thinks I've lost the plot a bit over all this baby stuff sometimes lol.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 8:01pm
Hi you can get patterns etc from The Nappy Network., they seem to be heaps cheaper and it's a lot easier to get sewing before you have a baby!
Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 8:03pm
i bought one of these last week, haven't received it yet but will let you know how it goes. Planning to use it over some fitted naps and prefolds. I am just curious as to whether they work. There is a brand called Bummis Polar wrap, not sure if they have a waterproof layer or what. will let you know how they go when i try it out
No you are not mad researching this stuff now, in some ways i wish i had known more about it all before we needed it and when could afford it
ETA try Green Beans for nappy sewing kits they do ready to sew kits which i am going to pluck up the courage to try soon

Edited by Redbedrock
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 8:12pm
I had a couple of the Snazzipants fleece covers when the gremlins were tiny, I used them over cloth flats. I couldn't see how they were going to be waterproof, but they were. There's a pic of the gremlins in them on the Snazzibabies page on the Snazzipants site.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 8:16pm
Cool thanks guys! Will definitely have a look at Green Beans and The Nappy Network. I've seen other polarfleece overnaps from Funky Bumz too...will be interesting to see how good yours is Redbedrock.

Hehe I'm going to make my sister trial the ones I make on my nephew so she might end up with lots of washing Maybe I'll need to trial them when he's at my house lol. She's probably got enough to do without me adding my nappy trials to it! lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 9:59am
It works and looked so cute, it's a bit big at the moment, I will put a pic on here. But no leaks or damp patches, I was really impressed. You just need to soak in fabric conditioner to maintain the waterproof

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 10:45am
Hi Redrock, I also research these things well in asvance....although its not getting quite so in advance now. Did they say to soak in fabric softener? Everything I have read says not to soak in fabric softener as that reduces the waterproofness.
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 10:46am
I'm pretty sure they work the same way as wool covers...they are acutally waterproof.

Nic01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 11:10am
nzpiper - soaking in fabric soaker makes things waterproof. That's why they say not to soak nappies in it - it will make inserts & the microfleece on pockets etc repel liquid rather than absorb it. You want the inserts to absorb liquid (so don't soak in fabric softener) but you want the polar fleece wrap to repel liquid ie be waterproof (so ok to soak in fabric softener). Hope I haven't confused you even more!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 5:28pm
Yep these are covers to go over prefolds or fitted nappies,not pocket nappies which have the polyurethane laminate cover, so they need the fabric conditioner to make tham waterproof. I don't use fabric conditioner on the prefolds or the fitted nappies as this will impede the wicking properties of them.
so basically "what Nic01 said"
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 6:33pm
Ah!!! That makes sense. Thanks guys....so much to learn.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 9:45am
Cool, thanks for the feedback redbedrock! Can add that to my list of things to try making nappies out of
Hehe my poor sister's going to be inundated with nappies to trial as soon as I get my new sewing machine
 Post Reply Post Reply