FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedslow cooker recipes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: slow cooker recipes
    Posted: 24 April 2007 at 11:08am
I have just been given a crockpot but the book that it comes with isnt very detailed and Im just wondering if anyone has any good recipes for them. Also do you have to put liquid in with them or does the condensation act as enough moisture?

Edited by my2angels
Sponsored Links

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 11:09am
You usually have to put a little bit of water in when you cook with it.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 11:12am
If you are doing chicken it is a great idea to throw in a can of chicken soup. Makes it really yum :)
I got some really nice recipes off allrecipes.com.
I couldn't live without mine now, there is nothing like having dinner sorted at 9am and coming home in winter to the smell of stew etc and knowing you don't have to do anything but eat it

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 11:14am
i'm going to try porridge in mine...

normally i just do soup in it - standard bacon hock at that. emma uses hers lots so she might be nice enough to post some of her recipes.

meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 11:14am
I recommend "100 great ways to use slow cookers and crockpots" by Simon and Alison Holst

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 11:17am
Yes! I love doing it the night before and flicking it on in the morning and coming home with dinner all ready.

Anyway, there is a reeeeeally good crock pot cook book which you can often pick up on TradeMe. I haven't got a copy yet as I was hoping Dad would pick up on my (not so subtle) hints. He hasn't.

Joan Bishop's Cook Book
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 11:21am
I have that book by the Holst's they have some good recipes in there.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 12:34pm
You usually put about a third of the fluid in you normally would have put in cooking it a different way. Other thing is to use less spices otherwise the taste will be quite strong.

I love my slow cooker but just cant let it stay on while being out of the house. (freaks me out a bit.) So I use it on days when I am not feeling up to cooking or busy with other stuff. Was quite handy when McKayla was a newborn. Everything got thrown in there in the morning. And supper was done.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 12:35pm
I use mine all the time, but I rarely use actual recipes, I make it up as I go along.

I'll quite often throw some gravy beef or blade steak in with whatever veges I have on hand (carrot, potato, green beans, broccoli, onion etc.), 1-2 cups of beef or vege stock, a couple of Tb of Worcestor sauce, a couple of Tb of tomato sauce and some salt and pepper.

I also use the Maggi Cook in the Pot sachets, Moroccan lamb is divine (has chickpeas in it) and devilled sausage works well altho don't leave it too long or the sausages will disintegrate. Some of the chicken ones work well too.

I also do pot roasts with those round rolled rib roasts - just chuck the meat in with enough water to cover the bottom of the pot and some chopped onion and seasoning. I do corned silverside in a similar way except I add a TB of malt vinegar and I add more water so that the meat is totally covered.

I'd be interested to try porridge in it tho - I hadn't thought of that! Let me know how it goes Deborah!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 12:50pm
I love my slow cook and its a god send all winter. I don't use receipes either just chuck in what ever I feel like. I just did a pork roast in it and put apple juice in the bottom and some onion and it was good! Haven't done a chicken yet as love it roasted but we live on stew all winter. Make it similar to emma but also usually put in a can of tomatoes.

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 12:53pm
corned beef is BEAUTIFUL done in the crock pot - i cover it with water, put in some mustard powder, brown sugar, malt vinegar and a bay leaf

A few days ago tried a chicken recipe - whole chicken - mix some butter, garlic and lemon rind and place about half under the chicken skin on the breast and the rest, rub all over. put in corck pot and cook - I didn't add any water. that was lovely
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 1:15pm
Google! I was unsure of how to make something in my crockpot so I just put 'crockpot' recipes into google and it came back with 100000 million different recipes for slow cookers.

Mmmmm, anything done in the crockpot comes out so tender and juicy.

I even made a dessert in mine once. It was an orange and honey bread and butter pudding. Was beautiful.
Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 3:05pm
i love my crockpot...and i just throw everything into it and put in on slow...and leave it all day

my favs are devilled sausages without the devil (which means no tomotoe sauce)...lamb stew...cornbeef...aand just whatever else i feel like...yummy

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 9:41pm
Oooooh, roast pork done in apple juice *wipes the drool off her chin* Must try that! And the chicken sounds good too Liz!

I'm doing corned beef in mine tomorrow

The slow cooker was an absolute God send when I was pregnant - I couldn't cope with cooking, especially at the end of the day when I was icky and tired so that way I could get it organised in the morning, and it didn't smell too strong either. And when the gremlins were tiny it was the only reason we ever got homecooked meals
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
ellabellame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellabellame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2007 at 8:05am
mmmm, it all sounds so good! *runs off to look on trademe for a crockpot*

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2007 at 10:39am
well i think i'll stick to porridge in a pot in future... it was ok but just had a thick crust around the top and the bottom. the only plus was getting out of bed and not having to do anything, it was just there.
ellabellame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellabellame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2007 at 10:44am
just wondering, what's a good price for a slow cooker? i'm so clueless. sorry to thread jack

WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2007 at 10:59am
Man i am so going out to buy a slow cooker today!!! Maybe there needs to be a recipe forum or this needs to be stickied because i never no what to cook and get my idea off other people most the time plus im sure everyone has a fav recipie they would like to share
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2007 at 1:10pm
Try briscoes ella and Look, surpirse surprise, they are having a sale! Under $100 is okay.

am doing apricot chicken in the crockpot today - will give a review and if nice, a recipe tomorrow. Just call me the Ohbaby Allyson whatshername food in a minute
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2007 at 1:22pm
Maybe a recipes sticky? What thinks you all?

Ella - I got my slow cooker at the Warehouse for $60 but it is huge, I think about 7l. Mum has a smaller one, about 4l which was only $40 or so. The big one is great tho coz I can cook double quantities and freeze some for later.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>