FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOne Income Families

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2007 at 7:13pm
that was really well summed up, and i also have to keep reminding myself of things like that although after the prem labour scare last week there isnt much at all i can do hubby likes to remind me " thats our son your carrying so sit down and dont argue" hahaha which is nice but does get rather anoying.

and as nzpiper said, i just dont want him to feel like hes taken for granted.

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
Sponsored Links

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 12:57pm
*bump*
On a similar thread, how has your work/income changed after having bubs.
If you haven't gone back to work, what do you do for income/money?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 1:06pm
I guess my concern is losing my financial independence. How have other mums, mums to be managed?
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 2:03pm
We started on a single income when we got married (I was earning, DH was a full-time student not eligible for assistance because of my pay). Our DD1 was born in the summer holidays at which time we were eligible for the PTC, I finished working at 35 weeks pg, and DH went onto the student allowance for his 2nd year study when DD1 was 8 weeks old.

Through that time I kept working on Saturday mornings (DH babysat DD for me with EBM) and 4 hours during the week and take DD with me. DH worked on Saturday afternoons - mowing lawns and helping a friend redecorate his rental home. It was pretty stressful (we were always out) but ok short-term. The plus for me was that I didn't have to put my baby in care.

DH had a year working on-call but has just started working full-time on a salary, we are now on about the same as I used to earn 4 years ago. We also get family assistance and have had a boarder this year. DH and I take a small allowance out of his pay for lunches (him) and clothes (me) as we choose.

Advice? Agree on a budget together. Start now; your current income can we nice back-up savings.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 2:11pm
Thanks for the advice, for DF he thinks children are ages away, (I don't think he will be ready until they are born) but if we start putting a little away now, then I wont be forced to put my baby in to care cause I have to go back to work. Having just met my friends 11 week old daughter I don't know how mums can leave them.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 2:22pm
I don't think my DH was properly ready until after DD was born too - it's a huge adjustment!
miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 4:23pm
I worked out a budget when we were thinking of starting to ttc and then we worked on our savings from then to get to a point where we could start ttc, get pregnant and afford a years leave. Of course we didnt expect to get pregnant straight away (we did), so I am pleased that we had started prior to ttc or else we would be in a more difficult postiion than we are.

it is a huge cut to our finances - we were on the same income so that is now halved, but it is just about removing the things we don't need while still maintainging some quality of life - a tricky balance, will see how it goes once things are furhter along
MyBelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyBelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 4:29pm
Hi ladies,
Sometimes it feels like we are already one one income in my home! being a student i get $170 per week and me being the bright spark that i am, thought last year when i was in a "stable job" until the company went bust! that i was well off (which ok i was at that time) and thought i needed a plasma tv, now im paying that off at $50 a week (as low as i can go!) then i have $60-100 groceries (lately closer to $60 because im not eating meat) and then at least $10 ($20 wen i have xtra) on each power and phone a week, so there goes all my money!

But what im wanting to do is make lotsa cassaroles to freeze and just get out when we need them, but heres my dilema, i've never made a cassarole and wouldnt know what to do, any help please????

Thanks, laura
miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 4:50pm
Google!!! Google casseroles with whatever you like in them if you aren't eating meat then gogle vege casseroles.

Maybe some people have good sites they could share.

the slow cooker thread on this site has some awesome recipes - if you don't have a slwo cooker you can still cook them in the oven. If you do have a slow cooker, the alison holst book is good and was on sale at Whitcoulls recently.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 5:05pm
Make a thread in the food & recipes section and put in there what you regularly buy (or like) in the way of meats and veges, and there'll be heaps of replies I bet!
MyBelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyBelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 7:35pm
haha, thanks guys, had a little blond moment and didnt even think of that!!

Thanks
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2007 at 3:41pm
We are already on one income as I'm a student and only have the loan ($150 pw) because of DH's income. We will get family assistance, and are taking on a boarder up until bubs is born. We'll see when he/she comes if we still need a boarder (I'll be by myself for 5 months so don't really want to be looking after a boarder too).

I've also taken jobs with family so that it can't be taken under our family assistance - like cleaning my sisters and mums houses, gardening, odd jobs here and there. Jobs I can still do when bubs comes.

I also plan to eventually try and hook onto a few schools around my area and do tutoring (as I'll be a qualified teacher) as extra income when we have a couple of kids.

I don't want to go back to work until our children go to school, as that's how we were both brought up, but the reality is things are so expensive these days and we'll want to buy a better and bigger house with 2 children which will need a second income. But if I can work from home, I will. It takes a lot out of you (and your children) when your DH comes home and announces he's going to be away for a few months, so that doesn't really fit in with childcare, work etc.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2007 at 8:02pm
Em have you thought about private tutoring people? You know, like some kids get extra tutoring to get them up to speed on maths etc?
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2007 at 10:17pm
When our bubs is born Im going to stay home for as long as I can, we will live off DF's income and some family assistance, we will be eligable for it so thats good. I will also get my 14 weeks maternity leave(then we will get the familt asisstance after my maternity leave finishes), but im not going back to work, not until bubs is at school, we will just have to see, I may need to do some part time work but the way we have worked it out is that, If i want back to work after 3 months my income would just be paying for child care, and i would miss all of babys firsts and stuff, so DF and I really want me to be able to stay at home, thats what I really want, to be a stay at home mummy And id like a sibling for this one after a few yearsaswell! hehe

Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2007 at 4:03pm
im planning on taking my annual leave before my paid maternity leave, only discovered i could do this last week yay

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2007 at 5:09pm
Busymum - yeah thought that could be a good idea. Just have to get advertising when bubs is, firstly born, and then a bit older!
BellaB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BellaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2007 at 5:45pm

What about looking after other kids in your home when bubs arrives? Like Barnardos or Porse?   I think if we struggle then I'll look into that. Does anyone know much about it??

Or maybe I'll look into cleaning houses in our area..
ezza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2007 at 12:19pm
We have already started thinking about this (first cycle ttc).

I work nearly full time (till 3.30 but get full time salary) and my partner is a musician (which fyi means he earns about 200 a week ) we also have a record label which makes us nothing btw HAHA.

When bubs comes along, i will drop my hours down to 8.30-1.30 and DP will work 3.00-6.00 just to make ends meet.

Unfortunately, staying at home will not be an option for me :( but at least our child wont be in care and we will be able to split the care between the both of us.

Luckily i love my veggie garden and grow as much as possible! I also find online shopping works really well, the delivery fee is about $10 if you spend over $199.00 (which i do fortnightly) and i find i don't get distracted by things i don't need which more than makes up for the delivery fee.

I'm also going to be MCN mum, wiht a breastfed baby on homemade baby food! hahah.

Fingers crossed we get hapu that is!

miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2007 at 12:27pm
Great to be thinking about it now Grymeworks! it means that you will be prepared for it when it happens. Good luck TTC - hope it does't take too long but in the meantime asave as much as you can!

it will be great being able to split care the way you have planned - what a lucky bubba spending quality time with both parents!
Leelee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leelee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2007 at 4:42pm
At the moment we are living of dfs income as I am a student and I still have 2.5yrs left of study and I will work 1yr full time before we ttc so what I earn in that year will get save so we will able to still afford things with a baby. I would like to be a SAHM but I dont know how long I will be able to but I hopefully will be working in an early childhood centre so I will be able to have my child at work with me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>