FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCrunchy Chicken Casserole (to die for!!!)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crunchy Chicken Casserole (to die for!!!)
    Posted: 30 April 2007 at 8:26pm
This is my absolute fav and my partner loves it as well. Its a Allison Holts recipe and is good to split and freeze some for a later date. Its abit like chicken and stuffing.

1 Chicken
2 Bacon Rashers
1 Cup of water (I use 2 depends on how big your chicken is)
1 Tbsp Soya Sauce
2 Cloves of Garlic crushed
Cornflour to thicken
Salt & Pepper
2 Tbsp Butter
1 Onion finely chopped
1 tsp Dried Mixed Herbs
1 Cup Fresh Breadcrumbs

Place chicken whole or jointed in a saucepan with bacon, water, soya sauce and garlic (I also like to add chopped mushrooms at this stage). Cover and simmer over a very low heat for about an hour or until flesh is tender. Bone the chicken and place flesh in a shallow ovenware dish. Chop bacon and sprinkle over chicken (i normally do this before i add it in the pot to cook and add it and the mushroom after i have strained the liquid from the pot). Strain liquid, thicken with cornflour paste, season and pour over chicken.

Melt butter and cook chopped onion in it until onion is tender but not browned. Remove from heat and mix well with dried herbs and breadcrumbs. Spread topping evenly over cooled sauce and chicken.

Refridgerate or freeze until required. Reheat at 190 degreesC until topping is crisp and sauce and chicken have heated through (about 30-40 mins from fridge).

I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much a i do.

Sponsored Links

ellabellame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellabellame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2007 at 8:44pm
yum! that sounds divine!

WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2007 at 9:06pm
Its great i try to make extra to freeze but my partner will eat it until he cant move to get more. He is always begging me to make it for tea.
ellabellame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellabellame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 10:12am
lol, well you've convinced me i have to try it. do you think instead of using a whole chicken it would work with chicken pieces instead? i have heeeaps of those in the freezer.

WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 5:54pm
I was wondering that myself as i more often have pieces in the freezer i think it would be fine probably wouldnt take quite as long you would just want to keep an eye on how fast the chicken is cooking at the start
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2007 at 12:02pm
I cooked the chicken in the slow cooker yesterday and the chicken just fell apart it was so juicy and would definately keep doing it this way from now on. I also used a size 22 chicken so i could freeze extra and i filled one big dish and 2 smaller ones so i could freeze some. I will have to get a 2nd bigger dish
 Post Reply Post Reply