FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDoes breastfeeding benefit allergies?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does breastfeeding benefit allergies?
    Posted: 05 May 2007 at 12:41pm
Allergy benefits of long-term breastfeeding questioned
By Belinda Kontominas
Published in Sydney Morning Herald 02/05/07
www.smh.com.au

BREASTFEEDING for longer does not protect babies from developing asthma or eczema as young children, according to Australian research that challenges national guidelines.

Results from a Sydney study show babies breastfed longer than six months may be more susceptible to allergies at five years old. They also show that babies who begin eating solids before three months of age may be less likely to have allergies as a young child.

National guidelines aim to "encourage, support and promote exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life" and target 80-90 per cent of new mothers. The guidelines also discourage the introduction of solid foods before four-six months to protect against allergic diseases such as asthma, eczema and hay fever.

Allergy experts at the Children's Hospital at Westmead, tracked more than 500 children from birth to five years, with a family history of asthma. They found those introduced to solids before three months of age were 50 per cent less likely to have positive skin prick tests, or atopy, at age five. Previous studies have shown conflicting evidence on the link between breast milk and allergies.

A senior author of the study and respiratory physician at the Woolcock Institute of Medical Research in Camperdown, Dr Guy Marks, said although the study conflicted with national guidelines, there was no reason for them to be changed or for mothers to panic.

"This is not to tell people not to breastfeed, but to say that if you have a family history of asthma, breastfeeding may not prevent the onset of allergic disease in your child," he said.

Dr Marks said while there was no cut in the risk of eczema and asthma, there had been no increase in the risk either.

Researchers were unsure why this was the case, but suggested "unexpected immunological effects" of the duration of breastfeeding and the timing of introduction of solid foods needed further examination.

Andrew Kemp, professor of Pediatric Allergy and Immunology at the Children's Hospital at Westmead, said mothers who were unable to breastfeed for prolonged periods should not feel guilty if their child developed allergies later on.

Breastfeeding had been proven to help aid neuro and respiratory development and prevent gastrointestinal infection, Professor Kemp said.

The president of the Australian Lactation Consultants Association, Gwen Moody, said it would still promote exclusive breastfeeding of children up to about age six months.

Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Sponsored Links

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2007 at 8:58pm
Hmmmm, so much to say!

I don't like articles like this, as often it is the one study that goes against lots of other well researched ones finding the opposite. Also, we cant read the article ourselves and decide whether if has been well done and is credible.

But now knowing what I do and with our experience, future babies will be exclusively BF (if possible) until 6 months and then restricted diet, and bf for longer as well. I know that other babies may likely develop allergies like Hannahs, but it makes sense to me to do the above, even if it means that I can say that we tried everything to prevent it. Despite the findings of this one study. Maybe if there were others that found the same we could change the guidelines, but just from one I dont think people should do any different.

Would be interesting to read the whole article...
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2007 at 9:45pm
i have asthma and I wouldn't use this article to have stopped me from breastfeeding either boy....It seems that things are always being "proven" and then "proven wrong" so i just go with what I feel is best and try not to read too much into anything....apart from that article that said pregnant woman who eat lots of chocolate have happier babies - practically had that framed.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2007 at 10:55pm
That is the whole article from the Herald, if you like I can google the study itself and try and get some more info.

What I'd like to know is how they conducted the testing. For example they say starting solids early doesn't increase the risk of allergy - did they give a group of babies solids at 2-3 mths to test this and if so isn't it a huge gamble with the health of the babies if they're wrong?

Like Liz and Aimee I'm not sure if I'd take the results of this study seriously enough to risk giving my bubs solids at 3 mths. There's been far too many studies that found the opposite, so it would take a lot more research to convince me.

Re: the breastfeeding side of things, I guess I look at it from a different perspective knowing that breastmilk has actually made all three of my babies sick. Not the milk itself, rather stuff in my diet. If I'd been told I could modify my diet with Maya I probably would have kept feeding longer (she was 10 mths) but I was never told that I had that option - it was just "the dairy in your breastmilk is making her sick so stop". With the gremlins it was more complicated coz I had already omitted egg, milk, soy and nuts and yet they still reacted to something.

So I don't know whether I'll be able to breastfeed my next child (if there is one). On the one hand they may be born with no allergies at all and be perfectly fine. On the other it could be a repeat of the girls and make them sick. Tough call. I'd probably start breastfeeding and see how things work out. It will depend on Mercedes allergy testing results tho - the severity of her allergies will be indicative of just how much (or how little) of the offending proteins she was exposed to thru breastmilk. If it's a lot then it's probably not worth the gamble, but if the long term effects are negligible then I'd definitely breastfeed again.

Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2007 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

What I'd like to know is how they conducted the testing. For example they say starting solids early doesn't increase the risk of allergy - did they give a group of babies solids at 2-3 mths to test this and if so isn't it a huge gamble with the health of the babies if they're wrong?

There are really strict ethical guidelines to doing research on children. These studies are usual longitudinal which means they study a huge group of babies from birth to whenever doing regular tests on all aspects of health and development along the way.

They work backwards as such on trying to identify causes of any problems. So they will identify a subgroup of these kids that developed food allergies then look to see when solids were introduced. If significantly more were introduced solids at a young age then there is evidence there is a relationship. Note - this is just evidence not proof as there may be other factors that have caused this allergy to occur.

If they tried to introduce early solids to a study group and have a control group that were introduced solids later this is extremely unethical as they are potentially causing damage to children in their study group. They would never receive permission or funding to run this study from the hospital/university or whover was funding it. All medical journals would refuse to publish their results and without publications its really hard to get more funding.
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2007 at 9:36am
From my family experience.
We have allergies in my family, ezcema, asthma, hayfever, food allergies.
I was b/fed for 3months before going to formula and was given solids at 2months and I have ezcema only.
My sister mum was only able to feed for 3wks and she wasnt given solids tioll 4months and she has then all, ezcema, asthma, hayefever and food allergies.

So I'll see how we go with Haleigh as she was formula fed from 6wks and fiven solids at 3months.
 Post Reply Post Reply