FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCar seats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car seats
    Posted: 18 May 2005 at 12:22pm
Hi Guys, I know we did a pram discussion....now can we do one on car seats?

We have been looking around and we are confused!

We saw a GO Safe brand (which my hubby liked) and Safe-n-sound brand (which I liked), Go safe has a 6 year warranty while safe-n-sound has 5 years warranty. Both say birth to 18kg.

I have a 2000 Mitsi S/W and I don’t know what kind of car seat to buy????

HELP!!

Sponsored Links

nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 12:33pm
The most important things to remember I think are that they can be used at birth the maximum weight limit and that it can be placed in a rear facing position. Which Acc now recommend for the first year instead of the first 6 months.As long as it carries a NZ certificate of safety the rest really comes down to personal choice.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 12:34pm
I forgot the other option you have is you can always ring plunket and see which ones they endorse.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 12:53pm
I bought a Safe n Sound which said up to 18kg, but had to replace it when it was damaged when my car got broken into. The lady at the baby factory told me the stabiliser bars often need replacing on that model. I ended up buying an evenflo Apollo which is from 6 mths to 36kg and converts to a booster, coz looking at the 'up to 18kg' ones, Maya was nearly too tall for them and she is only just two and weighs 12 kg.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
melz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 1:28pm
Not really too important to get a from birth one as is often easier to rent a capsule from baby factory and then you can get the clip-on wheels. That way, when they are asleep in the car you don't have to disturb them if you want to go shopping or whatever.

We were lucky and got a birth-4yrs car seat for $25 under a scheme in West Auckland.
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 1:34pm
Gosh that's good huh? Why can’t we have schemes like that?

See I saw the capsule at baby factory......but wasn’t sure. They said it is $105 for 6 months and you get $40 back when you return it. Good deal!

As I said....I am confused!

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 2:42pm
I'd say definitely get a carseat that goes from birth and hire a capsule. Hannah was in the capsule for 4 months and by that time her legs were hanging out the end of it!
The carseat we have now is a Safe'n'Sound Guardian, which is the model Emma said that the stabilising bars often need replacing. I don't think mine needs replacing yet, but I could see how easy they would be to break if you were removing the carseat from the car a lot.
I don't think it matters which carseat for which car, but make sure you figure out how to use the tether strap properly. For that you'll need to attach an anchor bolt and either drill a hole or use one that is already there.
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 2:57pm
The lady at baby factory did say that you will need to bolt the car seat in....but most new car have that already. I haven't checked mine yet (don't know what I am looking for??).

It is so important to me that I make the right choice...after all it is the safety of my child.

Any one else use these brands...any comments on good/bad experience??? We still have a few months before we buy, so any suggestions/comments would be helpful.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 3:06pm
It cost me $20 to have an anchor point installed in my car, so that's not a major, and most carseats do need bolting in.

I agree that a capsule would be useful, we never had one for Maya, she went straight into a birth-18kg seat, which meant a lot of lifting her in and out of the carseat and waking her up unneccessarily as a newborn. Next time round we are definitely going with a capsule.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 3:24pm
so you think a capsule is good to start with and then 6 months later buy a car seat?

darlinggirlk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darlinggirlk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 3:43pm
im renting mine through baby-on-the-move. It cost us $155 for the capsule, the base that stays in the car and it clicks into, and the snap-and-go trolley. get about $50 back when we return it. The base is really good as im in and out alot.

Kara
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 3:47pm
$155 per month? or six months?

Edited by Roksana

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 4:06pm
we had my sister's baby capsule for paris, and she got too long for it very quickly. we now rent a plunket one for her, but are looking to probably buy one some time since it will get good use from both kiddies. we got an ex-rental capsule for this baby from the baby factory, for $75.

have looked at some great car seats that go from birth upwards but it does depend on the type of car you have.

In answer to your questions Roksana, 1) if you want to find which ones fit nicely in your car. pick ones you think you would like, then ask the shop assisstant to come with while you try it in your car. (just means you have to park nearby).. most are more than obliging. sometimes what you think may fit, doesn't - our first baby capsule was a little awkward cos our back seats have such a backward slope in them that it made the carseat sit very upright.

2) with the bolts, you are looking on the piece at the top behind the back seats of your car, might be the parcel tray or whatever. there should be a hole on either side that the bolt can go through - it may not be visable from the inside of the car, you might have to look at the underside of it from in your boot.. cos alot of the time you just have to cut the carpet covering it first... if you're still unsure, take it to a car dealer.

hhmm actually. my partner mike works for Mitsi, lol.. I'll ask him when he gets home about it and get back to you.   
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 4:37pm
Oh that would be helpful...I have a 2000 mitsi legacy cedia s/w. If that helps......

Thanks Janine

nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 4:44pm
We are using a plunket rental as well. We are lucky Jayden has just moved into a booster seat so that leaves his carseat for abby.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 5:23pm
a capsule for baby is great as opposed to the car seat, so portable and helps not having to wake baby up if you are going out - we used to put ours in a trolley when shopping...

AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 6:16pm
I thought about a capsule this time even went as far as going to baby factory to buy one. Even though i had Alyssa's safe and sound in the car for Jayde. The lady at the baby factory talked me out of buying a capsule (well not really talked me out of it) Just told me that the safe and sound ones are the only car seats that exceed nz safety standards (must be the teether strap) she told me all the others were made to european or australian standards which arnt as tough as ours, doesnt really explain why we are allowed to use the others then if they dont meet our standards. Any way ive found it pretty hard with two kids. I think a capsule would have been way less hassle. And i wonder now what the differnce is betweent the standards its probably minor.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 6:59pm
thats funny cause i thought the oz standards were tougher than ours when it came to car seats.

Xander&Harmony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 7:57pm
Another option to save u money is to Hire the capsule for 6 mnths then when u buy the next size seat there is one at farmers that u use from 6 mnths and doubles as a booster,it has a 5 point harness for up untill they dont need it then use car seatbelt for booster.it is on special for $159.00.why pay $100+ twice over I say.
BECS

Angel Baby 10/07/09 (10wks4days)
angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 10:15pm
Angelnz, I did a mystery shop at the Baby Factory where I had to "investigate" car seats, and I was told that Safe n Sound are the best option, as they are made in Australia who have the toughest safety standards when it comes to car seats. She also said they last for 10 years from manufacture (presuming they arent in an accident of course). We have a Safe n Sound Guardian for Ella, which we got 2nd hand.
Aimee
Ella - 5.5 years old!
Toby - nearly 3 years old!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>