FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBirthday cakes!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 7:35pm
the main thing to think about with making cakes is what colour icing you are going to be using - if it's light coloured.. then chances are any little crumbs will show big time in the icing. plain cakes show less. you can always put them in the fridge or freezer for half an hour or so before decorating and stops them from being so crumbly.

and will hunt out the pics and post em. lots are from when i was a teenager for my neices and nephews etc.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Sponsored Links

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 8:12pm
Here you go heaps of cakes, you can clearly see some of theo nes i did as a teenager.. lol the roller blade cake was an early one and was for my little sister.. who was p-ing me off the whole time i was decoratingit.. hence the poor finishing. lol and my nephews had a pokemon obsession for a while there... can you guess?

White birthday cake

Winnie the pooh

Togepi pokemon

Squirtle pokemon

spiderman

Bulbasaur pokemon

Winnie the pooh - cooler version..sugarpaste

Here's paris's 3rd birthday cake from last year - gloria hippo from madagascar - I wasn't really happy with it, but it's hard to make a completely grey cake look kewl. what mattered was SHE wanted a gloria hippo cake and she loved it so that's all that counts.

and then there's her 1st birthday cake.. pic is a bit blurry and far away and caught me just as i was helping blow out the candles.. didn't have a digital cam then - was my sister's.   Paris loved Miffy when she was little.. so miffy was her 1st birthday cake. again another easy one - the ABC for kids cake book is great cos it has elmo, bananas in pajama, miffy, babaar, teletubbies etc.. it's great.

Edited by mum2paris

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 8:35pm

rollerblade

Hi-5

My little pony

carebear

thomas the tank engine

The carebear cake was mega easy.. cos it was all one colour and i just did the dots and filled it all in.. then chucked rainbow m&m's across.

baalamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baalamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 9:11pm
Wow, Janine! Those are beautiful cakes!!!

The rainbow bit actually was the part that scared me! I never thought to use pebbles!!! I want to do a Funshine Bear one though hehe I loooove the Thomas one. It's really neat.

Can I ask what piping set you've got?
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 9:51pm
lol my mums one.. but mainly the $2 shop has perfectly good ones for one time useage or to keep. their nozzles are usually enough to do all you need to do.. ie a big and a small star shaped nozzle (like i did the carebear one with) and a normal piping nozzle to do outlines..

the carebears website has a heap of neat pics of carebears.. right click and save as to your comp (they have funshine bear) then just print out, trace over the top to get a simple outline and chuck it through a photocopy machine to make the pic A3 sized.. you can cut out the main bits like pussle pieces so that you just ice the cake white all over, put each piece down gently and toothpick dots around the outside to make an outline.. do this piece by piece removing each one as you go. do the outline darker, then just fill in with star dots of the lighter yellow colour. instead of doing straight rows.. try to make it so that the next rows arent' straight underneath but along a bit.. ie fill in the gaps so you don't see the white icing. that was the quickest and easiest cake i have done in a very long time!

good luck!

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 9:55pm
hehe i really loved doing the winnie the pooh and the thomas ones - for xander and harmony... they were so fun. boy that thomas cake used a whole heap of jaffas!!

baalamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baalamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 9:38am
Ooh I did have a look at the $2 shop piping sets. They looked a bit flimsy, that's all! Do you have a recipe for the perfect consistency icing to pipe with? I just find mine always seems to be a bit stiff, but I'm afraid to water it down as it might not set

So you didn't buy a Care Bear shaped cake tin?
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 3:38pm
how did you do the thomas cake...????Please. i have two thomas fans here.
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 9:20pm
he he nope never use shaped tins, just find a really kewl pic i like of whatever it is the girls want, something simple and not too detailed.. then enlarge it a little, print and trace over so all i have is a outline.. and photocopy that till it's large enough.. then just cut around it to get the shape, and cut into pieces to make the outlines like i said in the other post.. like a puzzle. Shaped tins can make it mega hard cos you get bits of cake stuck in them sometimes.. plus you still have to follow a templete with them to some degree.

for G&T.. the thomas cake.. Becs bought a set off trade-me.. (same as she did for the winiie the pooh sugarpaste one above) the thomas one just had the track with the little wind-up thomas (was cute went round the track!!)and a kinda picture, but all i did with both was make the cake, cover with white butter icing all over, then bought the ready to roll white icing, coloured it drop by drop with food colouring to get the colours, and rolled it out (making sure the surface was dusted with icing sugar otherwise it gets sticky..) once it was large enough i stuck it on the top of the cake and cut off the excess around the edges. for the rest i just used a new fine paint brush and kinda painted on lightly some green food colouring to make the hill, and then just piped on white icing to make the clouds and flowers and green icing to make the bushes. jaffas around the outside.. stuck on with a line of icing. and the yellow piece around the edge, again is just coloured ready to roll icing, rolled out and cut into long strip then little piped bits of red on it.. blue star icing piped underneath that.    Is involved, takes ages, but isn't hard, just have to be methodical and have a play around first.    you can mould the ready to roll white stuff like playdough, if when you add the food colouring it gets sticky just chuck some icing sugar on just like if you were making a dough.

when i first went to make harmonys winnie cake, i grabbed an xtra packet of the ready roll stuff and just rolled it out and coloured it and played around.. i didn't make a cake to stick it on for the trial run just stuck it over the back of my cake pan so i had some idea. so when i cam eot do it days later i had already kinda got some idea of how to work with it and how i wanted it set out.

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 9:25pm
ooh and will hunt out my butter icing recipe and post it.. is perfect makes up enough to cover whole cake and decorate etc and can be watered downa tiny bit if you wanta smoother piping consistency.. but with pipin gif you have it too stiff it doesn't come outta the darn thing, if you make it too runny, it just runs out and goes everywhere! will have alooksee tomorrow.

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2007 at 10:50am
janine you should open a cake shop!! those cakes are awesome!

lou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 8:39am

Thought I'd show off my cakes

Sophie's 1st Birthday ( Blues Clues in pink)

Chats - sophies 2nd birthday

Sophies 3rd Birthday

Mother to two beautiful children - Sophie age 6 and Ephraim age 4

lou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 8:45am

Sophies 4th birthday

Preschool cake

Party cake - the ballerina turns and plays music

lou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 8:48am

Ephraims cake

1st birthday

And one more for fun - fairies

Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 9:26am
I'm not sure if my sis-in-law is pulling my leg or not "white icing paste to turn butter icing white"?!?!?
Spudling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 9:27am
wow, I was so chuffed with my cakes but you girls are so tallented I can't beleive it!
Here are my two cakes I have made for Cailin which I did think were the best, but maybe I might need to do some more practising....good excuse to bake some cakes eh!!!
This was Cailins 1st bday cake

and then this one I made for Cailins 2nd bday just this weekend gone...I was so happy the bears arms didn't fall off!!

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 9:27am
oooh lou those are awesome i love the number 3 cake and the gingerbread one the bestest, they are just gorgeous all of them. he he i like the teddies idea too!

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 2:04pm
Maya's third birthday cake...

And fourth...
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 3:16pm
Man you guys are awesome!
Here's my first attempt at themed cake making, Ella's butterfly cake. She had already ripped out the number 3 candle, hence the hole in the corner!

Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 3:33pm
Here's Briona's 1st birthday cake

And here's a cake I made yesterday for a friend - thanks for the mini mallow flower tip!

Can't find a photo of the cake I made for Hannah's last birthday, I did her a rainbow in m&m's but it was around the time that our camera broke so I might not have a pic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>