FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow do you feed a reluctant eater?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you feed a reluctant eater?
    Posted: 19 June 2005 at 12:07pm
Kiya has become quite fussy at meal times recently, and it's driving Nathaniel and I crazy. Getting food into her has become a struggle, with her taking up to an hour to eat a single piece of toast for breakfast.
If we are having something different (like the toasted english muffins we had this morning) she'll eat fine, but otherwise she mucks around, taking nibbles and telling us every other mouthful (no kidding) that she's had enough.

Kiya is often tired and grizzly, which would probably be fixed if she was eating enough! It's not a case of her not liking the food we eat, but rather that she just doesn't seem to want to eat it. We usually don't give her food inbetween meals, mainly because she's not eating her meals as it is.

Any suggestions?
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
Sponsored Links

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 3:14pm
Maybe try new things? I'm not sure but Paris was doing the same.. we had a look and realised we had become quite lax with ideas for her meals.. she was probably fed up with having the same sorts of things. we also found that by having her eat at least 3 evening meals with us per week she got better, because she was eating the same as us.. and also it was something different. You probably already are doing those things though, so good luck, i hope you find something that works.. it's sooo frustrating when you have to fight to get food into them every meal.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 9:05am
i would suggest giving her snacks then - prob fruit. my boy is a bit younger than kiya but if he doesnt eat i usually give him some fruit as a top up, i dont cook something different, dont want to get into that habit, just top up with banana or mandarin.

daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 9:19am
While I appreciate the suggestion, gsmum, when I do that she will eat even less of her next meal. We give her fruit to take to kindy for morning tea, and when she's home she has fruit with her lunch, but she will eat the fruit then tell us she's had enough - and happily go until dinner, when she won't eat much of that either!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 8:05pm
Maybe I'm a bad mother but if Maya doesn't eat what's on her plate then I don't push her, she just doesn't get anything else till the next meal. She's learnt that meal times are meal times and if she doesn't eat she gets mighty hungry!
Some days she won't eat anything at all and I worry that she will fade away, but other days she hoovers everything in sight.I worry too that she is not getting enough veges, but I put plenty on her plate so the choice is there.
I don't really have any suggestions other than that, I guess I just believe that they'll eat when they need to, and as long as you don't pander to them by making 'special' meals or giving them lots of between meal treats, that they will eat what they need.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 10:23pm
i agree emma - my only other suggestion woulds be to make sure she isnt filling up on liquid then thinking she is full.

Donna.I View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donna.I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2005 at 7:40am
Hi Becca, there are three things I can think of.

The reasons why, firstly ensure she is not constipated. This can cause a lack of appetite due to the backlog, Lactulose rectifies this.

Secondly this is Kiya's response to becoming a sister, for once she is not the only one needing attention (apart from hubby lol), and this is one way she knows she can get it. Spoil her a bit, buy a nice breakfast, especially for her, for a while. Just letting her know she matters too. Spaghetti bolognaise is a great treat for kids, yet not an expensive meal. Give her choices too in the meals, it might make things a litte easier.

Thirdly she is 4 years old, and they do like to assert their independence. If you feel this is what is wrong, then a tough approach is needed, but to be honest I think it more than likely is the second. Being a mum of five kids, I have seen them each respond differently to another child in the house.
Donna Ingram
Co-ordinator Gastric Reflux Aide
info@gastricreflux.org
www.gastricreflux.org
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2005 at 8:08am
Hi everyone, thanks for your responses...

Emma, that's pretty much how things are at our house too...

gsmum, we're doing our best on that, but she isn't drinking enough as it is. She has a small drink bottle (300ml) that is filled with water and available for her all day, in addition to us giving her glasses of drink with meals. Kiya rarely finishes one bottle full...

Donna, you might be right there. We are doing things for her to make her feel special (we took her to Lollipops and to Auckland Zoo), plus she chooses our dinner about once a week already.
 Post Reply Post Reply